ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Park Center head coach Paul Strong talks Iowa commit Amani Hooker

LukeFeddersen

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2001
Q: What type of player has he been for you?

STRONG: He started as a ninth grader for us and that is pretty rare. Overall he has always been a kid that makes plays for us. Amani is a quiet leader who leads by example to make the kids around him better. He is just flat out playmaker.

Q: What are his main strengths?

STRONG: His football IQ is above his years. His ball skills are off the charts and he has great anticipation. He has a great feel for the game both offensively and defensively. He is a hitter.

Q: What is he working on the most to improve?

STRONG: Right now he is 203 pounds so he is a big defensive back. He is still working on his agility and his explosiveness.

Q: Where have the Iowa coaches said about him as far as his college position?

STRONG: Right now, they are concentrating on him being at defensive back. They are looking at him particularly to compete as a freshman. They think he could potentially push for a starting spot just because of his athleticism and ball skills. He can come down in the box and can really hit.

Q: What was your experience like coaching him?

STRONG: For us, I can say we are going to miss him. He is a great, coachable kid. His leadership was tremendous this year. He never sticks his chest out and walks around the school talking to ever group. He fits in with everyone. We had a senior that was 6-foot-3 and overweight. He was a kid that never played football before and I didn’t think he would last. Amani would finish his sprints and then run down to encourage him. All of a sudden the whole team would do it. He didn’t want anyone to quit because he knew we had the potential to have a special year. Iowa is getting a great kid who comes from a great family. He is excited to be a Hawkeye.

Q: How did his recruiting process play out?

STRONG: When Coach Seth (Wallace) came into the school, I gave him a hard time telling him he was two years late because we had a couple of players on our team. He said he was here to see Amani and he said that we weren't lying, he is a specimen. He watched him workout for an hour and a half and some of the other coaches were wondering when this dude was leaving. He said next time he comes back he would bring the big guy. He called me later and said that they were going to make an early offer to Amani. We told him Amani was doing great academically. After he went down there for their tailgate part, Amani called me and told me he was thinking about committing. He felt good about it and said that Iowa feels like home. The coaches treat me like you guys. Once he made that commitment, it was no turning back because he is a loyal kid.

Q: Are there other schools that tried to sway him?

STRONG: I told Coach Wallace that when our kids make a commitment, their parents and them are solid and the doors are closed. We don't play that game. If you didn't come in early, you are not coming in now. When he knows other coaches are coming, he'll wear Iowa stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News