ADVERTISEMENT

Parker offers?

gojojo

HR Legend
Jul 24, 2001
Watching some of these teams with amazing offenses, and terrible defenses (USC, tOSU), makes me wonder why Riley or Day have never approached PP to become their DC. While I'd obviously hate to lose him, it'd be interesteling to see him coach 4-5* talent in D with offenses like those teams produce.

Has anyone ever heard any rumors of schools looking to poach Phil? I'd be surprised if he hasn't had some calls. Thankful he has stayed but couldn't blame the guy if he wanted to chase a championship in his final years.

Parker has been here for so long that I would be highly surprised if he doesn't think, act, coach, and have the same set of values as Ferentz.

I've always assumed every program knows this and it would be a waste of time to think he would leave Iowa and more importantly leave Kirk.

I know even a big ten team or 2 has approached pp. I'm sure there have been others but he had made it clear repeatedly he is where he wants to be doing what he wants to do. I know Hayden wanted guys who wanted to be head coaches someday but thankful that pp isn't. It would be interesting to see what the difference might be with OhioSt or Georgia especially with that class they had last year on the field.

Watching some of these teams with amazing offenses, and terrible defenses (USC, tOSU), makes me wonder why Riley or Day have never approached PP to become their DC. While I'd obviously hate to lose him, it'd be interesteling to see him coach 4-5* talent in D with offenses like those teams produce.

Has anyone ever heard any rumors of schools looking to poach Phil? I'd be surprised if he hasn't had some calls. Thankful he has stayed but couldn't blame the guy if he wanted to chase a championship in his final years.
Ive seen it mentioned on Ohio State boards. They could give him 4 or 5 million and he would still be a steal. If OSU had Iowas defense, they would have beaten Georgia no problem. Phil is the most amazing assistant in all of college football. He would be worth 7 to 10 points a game developing their 4 and 5 star talent. Another plus would be the OSU offense would get the ball with 2 or 3 extra possessions. I think he stays but he could make OSU the equal of the Tide and Georgia year in and year out.

I watch these teams play and I'm just shocked high level DBacks want to go play for these coaches over PP. They are some of the most fundamentally unsound tacklers in the country.

Very thankful for PP. It's so much fun watching his unit fly to the ball and put asses on the ground.

I’m convinced Lincoln Riley will never field an even solid D! And I’d also wager some defensive coaches don’t want to coach opposite those kind of offensive philosophies!

It’s yet another reason I’m not mad as hell at our offensive ineptitude. Frustrated for sure, And sometimes in shock, but I watch the same NCAA & NFL everyone else does. Most, if not all teams have fatal flaws that they don’t ever seem to fix.

It tells me it must be a hell of a lot harder than everyone realizes

I’m convinced Lincoln Riley will never field an even solid D! And I’d also wager some defensive coaches don’t want to coach opposite those kind of offensive philosophies!

It’s yet another reason I’m not mad as hell at our offensive ineptitude. Frustrated for sure, And sometimes in shock, but I watch the same NCAA & NFL everyone else does. Most, if not all teams have fatal flaws that they don’t ever seem to fix.

It tells me it must be a hell of a lot harder than everyone realizes

Absolutely agree.

While Iowa's offense was obviously horrible this year, it is never going to be a top 50 offense, just like we will likely never have a defense outside the top 20.

KF wants to limit possessions, move the chains, keep the ball in front of his defense and as far away from his goal line as possible, no turnovers and limit penalties...play clean football. This style isn't going to put up huge numbers on offense, nor will it give up huge numbers on defense.

I like watching these big offenses but damn do they play some terrible defense. As an Iowa fan perhaps I've been conditioned, but I'll take the great D, bad offense, over the great offense, bad defense.

I know even a big ten team or 2 has approached pp. I'm sure there have been others but he had made it clear repeatedly he is where he wants to be doing what he wants to do. I know Hayden wanted guys who wanted to be head coaches someday but thankful that pp isn't. It would be interesting to see what the difference might be with OhioSt or Georgia especially with that class they had last year on the field.

Georgia held OSU to less points than Iowa did.

Georgia held OSU to less points than Iowa did.
Iowa also also held them to 360 yards. Thats not outstanding but that's still very good against a team like that. Poor offense literally handed them at least one easy defensive score that I remember, and a lot of very short fields for Ohio State besides that. A functional offense complementing that defense and Ohio State doesn't score nearly that many points.

Iowa also also held them to 360 yards. Thats not outstanding but that's still very good against a team like that. Poor offense literally handed them at least one easy defensive score that I remember, and a lot of very short fields for Ohio State besides that. A functional offense complementing that defense and Ohio State doesn't score nearly that many points.
Ahh the painting the pig game.

So Iowa's offense sucks and made the defense carry a disproportionate amount of the load? No way!
The defenders say KF has it right by not doing anything on offense and letting the defense win the game. That formula works great against Rutgers and ISU (except this year). It doesn't work if a team can score 28 points and top teams WILL score that many on Iowa's defense.

So Iowa's offense sucks and made the defense carry a disproportionate amount of the load? No way!
The defenders say KF has it right by not doing anything on offense and letting the defense win the game. That formula works great against Rutgers and ISU (except this year). It doesn't work if a team can score 28 points and top teams WILL score that many on Iowa's defense.

One….just name one person who has said that?! What a lazy, ignorant comment. You should be embarrassed by yourself.

That’s why the so called “sunshine club” don’t take any of you guys seriously and consistently **** with you.

Your flat out just liars….if you can’t get people to be mad as hell like you are you just make shit up…good job, way to be delusional!!

Strong show!

Reactions: rrsteffe
Some people have no desire to be a head coach, manager, department head, etc. Some folks have found their "niche". They are happy doing what they love and what they are good at. Coach Parker appears to be one of those.

And I, for one, am glad!

Wouldn't surprise me if PP didn't have any offers from any blue blood programs. Not because he's not a top-notch DC, which he is, but because those programs don't value defense nearly as much as KF and other mid-level P-5 teams. They talk the talk about wanting to improve their defenses, but really their answer for giving up a lot of points is to produce more offense. That's how the game is today (at that level, anyway).

Some people have no desire to be a head coach, manager, department head, etc. Some folks have found their "niche". They are happy doing what they love and what they are good at. Coach Parker appears to be one of those.

And I, for one, am glad!
Couldn't agree more. He's happy as a defensive coordinator and loves Iowa city. Seems like he got exactly what he wanted and is smart enough to not mess it up. A rare thing

He wants to be a D-coordinator, and the cupboard is pretty loaded next year, especially on the DL. I do not see him going anywhere.

Reactions: Bishop1971

And I, for one, am glad!
Great points. Head coaching is far more managing of people than it is coaching. He loves coaching D.

One….just name one person who has said that?! What a lazy, ignorant comment. You should be embarrassed by yourself.

That’s why the so called “sunshine club” don’t take any of you guys seriously and consistently **** with you.

Your flat out just liars….if you can’t get people to be mad as hell like you are you just make shit up…good job, way to be delusional!!

Strong show!

F5N5 for one multiple times this season has said the offense and passing game are fine. Several posters have defended the offensive output by describing it as complimentary offense. 8 three-and-outs is only complimentary to TT's punting stats. It doesn't help the defense a lick. Quite the contrary.
But I will make you a promise: if Barnett is still O line coach and BF is still OC come March, you won't see another post from me until KF is gone.

Absolutely agree.

While Iowa's offense was obviously horrible this year, it is never going to be a top 50 offense, just like we will likely never have a defense outside the top 20.

KF wants to limit possessions, move the chains, keep the ball in front of his defense and as far away from his goal line as possible, no turnovers and limit penalties...play clean football. This style isn't going to put up huge numbers on offense, nor will it give up huge numbers on defense.

I like watching these big offenses but damn do they play some terrible defense. As an Iowa fan perhaps I've been conditioned, but I'll take the great D, bad offense, over the great offense, bad defense.
But we can't even seem to do that.

Reactions: littlez
F5N5 for one multiple times this season has said the offense and passing game are fine. Several posters have defended the offensive output by describing it as complimentary offense. 8 three-and-outs is only complimentary to TT's punting stats. It doesn't help the defense a lick. Quite the contrary.
But I will make you a promise: if Barnett is still O line coach and BF is still OC come March, you won't see another post from me until KF is gone.
That would be unfortunate. I think your a good Hawk fan, and passionate about Iowa. At this point its hard to say whats going on with the staff. Rumors and posts on twitter about another OL coach from somewhere, and about Budmeyer, (spelling) having some coaching role. You'd think by spring ball will know whats up. I hope we all rally around those players and coaches that are here....

Wow, I actually want BF gone and I’d be OK with Barnett too but I’m almost hoping they stay just because….

And that F5N5 Guy is pleasant, and I would much rather see his brand of posting than yours, but he clearly… Hell I don’t know what he’s clearly…Nobody can argue the offense has been horrific!

And being complementary is a whole different thing entirely….

Absolutely agree.

I agree and I laugh and cringe when I watch really poor defensive squads like a lot of Big 12 teams and perhaps some Pac12 and other teams. Just matador tackling by dbacks and not strong in the trenches.

Reactions: cmhawks99

Lol OhioSt game says hello 54 pts ... other teams don’t play the crap the hawks get to play 10/12 games. Stop confusing good D with crap O. Those guys are trying to win titles, not toilet bowls.

Reactions: IowaHawk1994
West. Lol OhioSt game says hello 54 pts ... other teams don’t play the crap the hawks get to play 10/12 games. Stop confusing good D with crap O. Those guys are trying to win titles, not toilet bowls.
Oh Phil. Whats with negativity buddy? Wiscy, Minny, and Iowa all won their bowl games from the big west. Iowa beat an sec team with a winning record. Wiscy beat a quality Oklahoma state team and Minnesota did what they do which is run the ball with future NFL player Mo Ibrahim. Let's keep it positive buddy!

Lol OhioSt game says hello 54 pts ... other teams don’t play the crap the hawks get to play 10/12 games. Stop confusing good D with crap O. Those guys are trying to win titles, not toilet bowls.
And this was one of the most fun bowl seasons i can remember. Not a fan of the pinstripe bowl but that's because the field always sucks. Happy new year to you Phil! Have a great year!

Reactions: cmhawks99
And this was one of the most fun bowl seasons i can remember. Not a fan of the pinstripe bowl but that's because the field always sucks. Happy new year to you Phil! Have a great year!
i’m afraid that with this post you just may have triggered a terrible backlash. hope you enjoy it as much as i suspect you will.

i’m afraid that with this post you just may have triggered a terrible backlash. hope you enjoy it as much as i suspect you will.
I think phil wants to be a hawkeye fan and can't stay away from our board. Thought I'd try a little kindness and encourage some positivity from the young man. As a psychology major i can't help but think phil just wants some attention, good or bad. I want him to know he can post positive things and still br acknowledged. I had a stepdaughter who was similar and she came around. Phil might not be hopeless! Lol

He's probably not leaving to be a DC somewhere else. However, he has said on a couple occasions that he would like to be a head coach somewhere. If he gets offered a decent gig at head coach, he is probably gone. What's surprising is that no one ever offers him a head coaching job. Personally, selfishly,I hope it stays that way.

Reactions: Bishop1971
He's probably not leaving to be a DC somewhere else. However, he has said on a couple occasions that he would like to be a head coach somewhere. If he gets offered a decent gig at head coach, he is probably gone. What's surprising is that no one ever offers him a head coaching job. Personally, selfishly,I hope it stays that way.
Link?

Another more recent quote.....
“I never sit there and say, I must be a head coach,” Parker said Friday at Iowa's annual media day event. “I don't say that. I think you have to go through the process saying if it comes, it comes. And yeah, maybe someday I'd like to do that.Aug 12, 2022

Pretty sure I've heard the exact opposite.

Absolutely agree.

And leave 3 wins on the field like we did this year or 4 losses by 11 points three to four years a go? Ok to waste PP’s Defenses?

This is a conversation at the grown up table, grab you bowl of Jell-O and head back to the kids table.

ADVERTISEMENT