ADVERTISEMENT

Parking advice requested

Western PA

Rookie
May 29, 2001
This will be my first game at Kinnick since the Ray Nagel era.
I am seeking advice on parking for Saturday night's game.
We are staying in CR and will hit Iowa City about 1-2 p.m. hopefully to walk around campus and downtown. Tailgating is not a priority
Post game, egress will be back north up I-380 to CR.
Where should we park? Or, perhaps, just at importantly, where should we avoid parking?
Thanks.

This will be my first game at Kinnick since the Ray Nagel era.
I am seeking advice on parking for Saturday night's game.
We are staying in CR and will hit Iowa City about 1-2 p.m. hopefully to walk around campus and downtown. Tailgating is not a priority
Post game, egress will be back north up I-380 to CR.
Where should we park? Or, perhaps, just at importantly, where should we avoid parking?
Thanks.

Hawkeye Express

http://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/the-hawkeye-express-a-travel-alternative-for-iowa-football-fans

If not tailgating then the hawkeye express is your best option. You won't find a problem finding a beer.

Beware at the Hawkeye Express. Several cars got broken into Saturday. Some had their windows broke out and the thief went on a shopping spree at the mall. The police finally got the mall videos 36 hours after the thefts so hopefully an arrest will be made soon.

Beware at the Hawkeye Express. Several cars got broken into Saturday. Some had their windows broke out and the thief went on a shopping spree at the mall. The police finally got the mall videos 36 hours after the thefts so hopefully an arrest will be made soon.

Really? I didn't here about that. But if he broke in when there were no people on the train, then wasn't there also no stuff on the train?

If you want to explore downtown/campus park in a ramp downtown. Gilbert St / Iowa Ave. You can walk/uber to the game. You'll have to walk back, but it's only a mile. It'll be great weather to walk in and will take you around campus. After the game go East on Iowa and North on Dodge. It'll take you right to I80 and avoid all post-game traffic.

Expanding on Crunch's post above...if you want to walk around campus and downtown, the train isn't your best option. Arriving at IC that early in the afternoon, you should be able to find parking in one of the city parking ramps downtown. The east side of campus and the downtown area blend together, so there will be lots of activity....plenty of bars and restaurants. within a block of the Pentacrest area. The stadium is about a mile walk from downtown....not bad if you want to take your time. There will also be plenty of cabs, shuttles, buses, uber if you want a ride.

Reactions: QChawks
Really? I didn't here about that. But if he broke in when there were no people on the train, then wasn't there also no stuff on the train?
They broke into the cars of people who went to the game via the train.

If you want to explore downtown/campus park in a ramp downtown. Gilbert St / Iowa Ave. You can walk/uber to the game. You'll have to walk back, but it's only a mile. It'll be great weather to walk in and will take you around campus. After the game go East on Iowa and North on Dodge. It'll take you right to I80 and avoid all post-game traffic.
IS this a better option than parking in the Library lot for 20 bucks? Its been a long time since I was in IC for a game. Whats the cost to park all day in one of these ramps?

For a reasonable option on the West side, Horn elementary charges $10 now has a second lot that has an entrance on Benton. Take Mormon Trek to Benton, and Benton eastbound. The lot is on the North side of the road, about a block West of Sunset. About a mile walk to the stadium.

For a reasonable option on the West side, Horn elementary charges $10 now has a second lot that has an entrance on Benton. Take Mormon Trek to Benton, and Benton eastbound. The lot is on the North side of the road, about a block West of Sunset. About a mile walk to the stadium.
This is no where near downtown or the campus though.

We park downtown all the time. On a nice day, which the forecast suggests the temps will be just fine, this is our preferred location. If you're able to walk without difficulty, it's a fairly easy trip to Kinnick. Absolutely spot on about avoiding Dubuque with the construction, especially if you're driving east on I-80 anyway.

We enjoy parking in one of the parking ramps downtown, hitting a few of the bars and maybe the book store and then catching the free shuttle bus on the east side of the square. You can take them both to and from the game or walk either to the game or walk back downtown after the game. Price is right for the shuttle, free.

Reactions: rafferty06
I'll give another vote for Downtown over the train. The trains not cheap. Trains good for 3 types of people. People with children under the age of 12, children under the age of 12, or people who really hate sitting in their car in traffic (even though post game there is a ridiculously long line just to get on the train).

I have always had good luck parking in the Hancher lot and taking the shuttle bus to the game.

IS this a better option than parking in the Library lot for 20 bucks? Its been a long time since I was in IC for a game. Whats the cost to park all day in one of these ramps?

The map shows the library as $20 but it's really hourly. Half the time their ticket thing doesn't work and you get to park for free.

Echoing previous comments. Park in the ramps downtown and have a blast!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT