ADVERTISEMENT

Parler is BACK!!!

CleteyColgate

HR Heisman
Nov 12, 2012
Parler finds refuge with right-leaning webhosting service

tenor.gif

Is anyone here actually on Parler? Until recently I had never heard of it and was fine with that.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Parler doesn’t censor its members. If you didn’t know already, they ‘randomly’ pick 5 peers who supposedly act as the board to determine if users posts breach Parler’s posting rules. In theory this sounds like a good model. The problem is that a vast majority on that site, are full blown right-wing conspiracy theorists who don’t flag each other’s posts for breaking the user agreements. So, the self policing doesn’t work.

I just listened to a podcast the other day with their founder on the pod called Sway by The NY Times who breaks down their user posting policies.

The damage to the unwashed mass of them has already been done.

The impact of that won’t be fully known until that data starts causing people to lose their jobs and other penalties. And you KNOW that’s gonna happen. Companies will shitcan people in a heartbeat if they so much as suspect their bottom line could be affected. And the ones that are military would be wise to be particularly concerned.

70tb is a lot of data. And a large amount of them are scared shitless about what it’s going to cost them, personally. Because they know what they posted. And now, so does/will the FBI.

Remember how, in the years immediately following 9/11, people used to joke about being on no fly lists? Yeah, about that...... these people really are, or will be. I’ve seen at least a 1/2 dozen vids of people wigging out when they couldn’t get back home from DC last week. And how do ya reckon their boss took it when they called and said they wouldn’t be in on Monday and maybe Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday too? And why.

Fuct. That’s what a lot of them are. Fuct. I hope it was worth it to them.

Can you read posts without creating an account? I like to know what the other side is up to but prefer to stay off watch lists
I have a family member in the cesspool so I made an account to monitor their activity. I was shocked by what they were willing to post in that environment. I made screen shots of the posts and text them to that person as I can tell you that Parler leads the league in posts that do not age well. If Parler is your only trusted source for information, you will not be rejoining reality any time soon.

They need a safe space to share their fake news and conspiracy theories with each other without the constant threat of fact checking and being told they are wrong. They also need a forum to plan their violent protests.

Reactions: mattymoknows
I have a family member in the cesspool so I made an account to monitor their activity. I was shocked by what they were willing to post in that environment. I made screen shots of the posts and text them to that person as I can tell you that Parler leads the league in posts that do not age well. If Parler is your only trusted source for information, you will not be rejoining reality any time soon.
Twitter is hardly a source of trusted news and truth either.

Reactions: doughuddl2
Twitter is hardly a source of trusted news and truth either.

neither is Facebook. And yet my whack job aunt believes every meme she shares despite multiple links to fact checkers explaining the lies. Hell, she posted one where the original website posted a retraction of its own article explaining why and I can't get a straight answer from her about whether that's sufficient for her to know it was fake news. I did hear about how Google censored her friend's email because she wrote about the Covid-19 vaccine. And that "something" is brewing and we just don't want to see it. Mmm-kay, but about that fake news you shared, can we agree it's not true? Nope, crickets.

Reactions: srams21 and haw-key
so this isn’t a freedom of speech issue after all?

Yes, politicians with regulatory oversight leaning on companies to 'de-platform' viewpoints they disagree with is a freedom of speech issue.

If you're Amazon and want the politicians who can decide your companies fate not angry at you, what do you do?

I think this is a situation where the big guys actually have the most to lose, and are thus the most likely to go along with 'soft' censorship.

Yes, politicians with regulatory oversight leaning on companies to 'de-platform' viewpoints they disagree with is a freedom of speech issue.

If you're Amazon and want the politicians who can decide your companies fate not angry at you, what do you do?

I think this is a situation where the big guys actually have the most to lose, and are thus the most likely to go along with 'soft' censorship.

i got put on time out on fb for saying Trump should be hung for treason.
Instead of crying like a republican snowflake about “muh freedum of speech” i deleted my account. I can still say Trump should be hung for treason without facebook, regardless of the reasons they put me on timeout

Reactions: blhawk
I can still say Trump should be hung for treason without facebook, regardless of the reasons they put me on timeout

Do you see any difference between being able to say it on Facebook versus to yourself in the mirror?

ADVERTISEMENT