ADVERTISEMENT

Parris Cass match

Boy it started out fast & furious for the the first 5 minutes or so before Parris took control of the match. He is fast & athletic for sure. Cass seemed to get to his legs pretty good. Cant wait for the rematch & feel Cass will close the gap.Sure is great to see some good HVY wrestling for a change. Parris showed up this time.

Honestly, if Cass takes 3rd I’d be ecstatic. Not concerned about that match.

I am concerned about the leg.

Boy it started out fast & furious for the the first 5 minutes or so before Parris took control of the match. He is fast & athletic for sure. Cass seemed to get to his legs pretty good. Cant wait for the rematch & feel Cass will close the gap.Sure is great to see some good HVY wrestling for a change. Parris showed up this time.
To close the gap, all Cass has to do is not get pinned.

Big Cass started the day ranked third and at the end of the day he's still sitting in that three spot, nothing lost here. MP is a stud with grown man strength, he will be tough for Tony to overcome, but improvements will be made. One thing I noticed that I didn't like was Tony looked dry to the touch coming out while Parris had a good strong sweat going, looked ready for action right off the whistle, while maybe we weren't quite ready to go. Regardless, I want Tony to win them all but didn't expect him to, but if he finishes 1-4 at nationals I think we can all agree that's a successful season which is still very much in grasp.

Big Tony took a back seat as soon as he was rode hard. I think he wins at big ten's and ncaa.

Waaay Off Topic, but I have a question: They changed the rules a few years ago so that a tech fall no longer requires back points. That also applies for tournament scoring, right? It only needs a 15-point differential?

Reactions: andegre
Waaay Off Topic, but I have a question: They changed the rules a few years ago so that a tech fall no longer requires back points. That also applies for tournament scoring, right? It only needs a 15-point differential?

Correct

Me too. Did not like what I thought I saw, hobbling (?) off the mat against Parris. Maybe sacrifice Corbin or Costello on Saturday? Sending big Cass out against Stevenson with “Banged-up Whatever” is particularly perilous.
I agree. Having Tony healthy (or as healthy as possible), is priority number one so he and the team are best positioned to win a championship. If there are any issues going on with his knee, there is nothing to gain wrestling GS and a whole lot to lose. Tony’s wrestling GS before and knows what he’s up against and getting his body right will give him the best opportunity to knock him off when it matters most. With Desanto’s injury, there is no room for error in the team race so getting guys healthy to make the last push should be the top priority. I’d also keep Desanto and Murin out but still training and building cardio in ways that don’t further strain any injury and have guys fresh and ready to fire on all cylinders for the B10’s and NCAA’s.

I watched the match again, and I really don't think Cass was that out-horsed. I may give the strength factor barely to Paris, but he reminded of Cael vs. Eggum where technique ruled. Parris had new nearly flawless technique. On that spin around with the limp arm, it looked like he's practiced that a thousands times. And then Cass left his leg out and he got exploited with a heel pick while having Parris' leg. That's technique. And how Parris so quickly got that turk in was a thing of beauty. That's technique.

When MN wrestled Mich back on Jan 19th, was Gable Stevenson still out for his legal issues?
I see Mn wrestled a backup Hwt that match, that Parris pinned. Just wondering if Stevenson could of wrestled that match on that date or not?
I look forward to seeing that match at some point.

When MN wrestled Mich back on Jan 19th, was Gable Stevenson still out for his legal issues?
I see Mn wrestled a backup Hwt that match, that Parris pinned. Just wondering if Stevenson could of wrestled that match on that date or not?
I look forward to seeing that match at some point.
Ducked, he went 6 days later against OSU.

Big Tony did have some flashes of being in the match. he was able to get to MPs leg a couple times...he just didnt finish it and that can be corrected. The hard ride that was put on him basically came from not anticipating the whistle and being able to get the 1st motion... he ended up flat and it was pretty rough from then on..I think the smart move would to let Tony sit this weekend because we SHOULD have the match in hand and we have some good backups at HWT. Save him an his injury for the Big Tens

Big Tony did have some flashes of being in the match. he was able to get to MPs leg a couple times...he just didnt finish it and that can be corrected. The hard ride that was put on him basically came from not anticipating the whistle and being able to get the 1st motion... he ended up flat and it was pretty rough from then on..I think the smart move would to let Tony sit this weekend because we SHOULD have the match in hand and we have some good backups at HWT. Save him an his injury for the Big Tens
Yes he did. Needs to wrestle a little smarter on bottom even if it means giving up a stall call or two and figure out how to finish a TD against that beast.

Some random thoughts Cassioppi vs Parris: Immediately prior to the fall Parris has trapped Cassioppi’s left leg and is turking the right leg. Parris is applying maximum pressure (god I hate that phrase). Not a lip reader, nor a mind reader but Tony has facial expression of real pain. Also prior to this sequence Parris picks Cassioppi’s ankle while driving him backward. Lots of pressure on the knee, Tony grimaces (pain). Situation does not seem good. Anyone else’s have a view?

Some random thoughts Cassioppi vs Parris: Immediately prior to the fall Parris has trapped Cassioppi’s left leg and is turking the right leg. Parris is applying maximum pressure (god I hate that phrase). Not a lip reader, nor a mind reader but Tony has facial expression of real pain. Also prior to this sequence Parris picks Cassioppi’s ankle while driving him backward. Lots of pressure on the knee, Tony grimaces (pain). Situation does not seem good. Anyone else’s have a view?
Yeah. It’s called a Turk.

I was unable to watch the meet Saturday but listened to Grace and Ironside. It sounded like Tony wrestled the Tasmanian Devil. Then today I had a couple of buddies tell me just how outmatched Tony was and how ripped Parris looked. So I just YouTubed the match.
Gotta be honest, I don’t think the match was that crazy. Parris’ first takedown looked like a lot of muscle, his 2nd was a cool spin around (cool in that it was a heavyweight doing it), and his 3rd (that lead to the fall) Tony’s plant foot was grabbed and he went to his butt, to his back, yada yada yada...
I’m by no means any expert, but I didn’t see anything that has Parris light years ahead of Tony. He’s good, but so is Tony! The dude came out fired up ready to beat hell, and he executed. I think a more crisp Tony that learns from this match can and absolutely will give Parris a dogfight.
I don’t think Tony has any injury. Leg was probably a little sore from the Turk but I would be shocked if there’s anything more there than that.
Just my 2 cents that isn’t worth a penny.

People are spazzing out on this match as usual. Yes Parris is legit but this was a 5-3 match about half way through the second with Cass in on a shot when he got in trouble. Cass gave a up the dump for 2 and got countered off his own leg shot two other times. Parris and Steveson have skills to pull off stuff most heavies can't so Cass will need to adjust accordingly, Cass is in between the big lumbering heavies and the super quick ones. Hand got rag dolled a lot worse vs lesner and was able to beat him later. This off season Cass needs to get that leg and wrist healthy and add some man muscle and he will be right there. He does not strike me as a guy who enjoys losing.

I certainly wouldn't blame it on his knee. He got out wrestled and than worked for a pin. Cass has had a knee sleeve on before this and done alright. What I do worry about is the knee after.

Cass has it between the ears to adjust and has the talent to gameplan the next one.

I watched the match again, and I really don't think Cass was that out-horsed. I may give the strength factor barely to Paris, but he reminded of Cael vs. Eggum where technique ruled. Parris had new nearly flawless technique. On that spin around with the limp arm, it looked like he's practiced that a thousands times. And then Cass left his leg out and he got exploited with a heel pick while having Parris' leg. That's technique. And how Parris so quickly got that turk in was a thing of beauty. That's technique.

i agree with the beginning, two of Parriss’s tds were off of Cass single legs

Rassling - I agree with you on this. I think a lot goes into a decision for someone to go. Be it physical, mental, schedule, etc. My soapbox was people saying Brands is “infamous and notorious” with a past history of it. As if Iowa is the only program making decisions. And what set me off was “Lee ducking Glory” which is so stupid I shouldn’t have responded. Lee not only teched him before he was also getting ready for a meet in a different style to represent our country. That is the crap from non wrestlers that ruffles my feathers. Rassling - I think we could do all the schools and make arguments. And that is why I don’t accuse coaches of ducking regardless of school. We don’t know what is going on period. So I totally agree with you (scary I know!).

Reactions: rassling
Yes, it was a clear duck. Iowa is the only team that can have injuries, sickness and last second coaches decisions that make it acceptable and not a duck. :rolleyes:
Lets be realistic. He was fine. Spencer was fine. Plenty of guys have been fine and taken the night off for the purpose of not risking losing a very important seed. Since the folks doing the rankings don't seem to care about this tactic coaches will continue to implement it. I am not saying Iowa doesn't do it because they do as do the majority of competitive teams that are paying attention to the seeds for there conference tournament with the understanding of how important those seeds are. Until rankings start to reflect ducking it will continue to go on and I do believe having no inside info that Steveson could have wrestled Paris. Assuming his coaches thought better of it, and the result is he is still ranked number one and did not have to wrestle number two. Not yet anyway.

Reactions: artradley
Lets be realistic. He was fine. Spencer was fine. Plenty of guys have been fine and taken the night off for the purpose of not risking losing a very important seed. Since the folks doing the rankings don't seem to care about this tactic coaches will continue to implement it. I am not saying Iowa doesn't do it because they do as do the majority of competitive teams that are paying attention to the seeds for there conference tournament with the understanding of how important those seeds are. Until rankings start to reflect ducking it will continue to go on and I do believe having no inside info that Steveson could have wrestled Paris. Assuming his coaches thought better of it, and the result is he is still ranked number one and did not have to wrestle number two. Not yet anyway.

I agree with this. There are too many big matchups that don’t happen to be a coincidence. This is not an Iowa thing, it’s a D1 wrestling thing. There are clear cases when a wrestler is better served - and therefore his team is better served - if they skip a match.

The duals don’t count for anything, and a FF does not affect a guy’s seed in the tournaments. So the incentive is there; what do we think is going to happen?

Reactions: Lsanders20
Lsanders - I agree with what you said except Lee. When was he ducking or whatever you want to call it? If it was against Glory I strenuously disagree. I mean he whooped his ass to a tech before and was training for the freestyle in Dallas. So I assume something else you are referring to or you don’t want our best USA wrestler in the Olympics which some people don’t apparently care about. Sad.

Me too. Did not like what I thought I saw, hobbling (?) off the mat against Parris. Maybe sacrifice Corbin or Costello on Saturday? Sending big Cass out against Stevenson with “Banged-up Whatever” is particularly perilous.

I hope Brands has learned from the past, no reason to risk it. Brands has had maybe one heavy without season ending injury?

Red - there are multiple guys that IMO should not have gone under Tom. Which cracks me up (in a sad way) on the history of ducking from trolls. No way DSJ should have ever wrestled as early as he did. And DSJ and Tom said it after. Same with multiple Heavys. Same with Slaton. I could go on. Tom learned. I mean so either the wrestlers are hurting and possibly injured and you are an abusive coach by rolling them out when the same injury/pain thing and hold them out it is ducking. Once again trolls that don’t get it. Tom is the opposite of ducking historically and Spencer is training for the Olympics and that has been stated over and over since before the year started. I am shocked he wrestles as much as he does.

Yep, it was less strength than technique and especially athleticism. First, Cass made a mistake going for a reattack and stepped right into Parris' dump. Then he let Parris drag him down to the mat with a shin whizzer on his single twice. Cassioppi moves well on his feet, but not on his knees. We saw that against Nevills in the same position. Parris took the match to the positions where he had a huge athletic advantage and capitalized. Cass will need to keep this match up on his feet where he can mitigate that athletic disadvantage.

He'll need to make some strategic adjustments. I don't think you want to get into a shootout with somebody like Parris. I think you want to slow things down and take the starch out of him. If he gets rolling, he's hard to stop.

After several viewings (thanks Kwoodhawk) of the Parris vs Cassioppi match, Tony certainly seems to be in pain as Parris picks the ankle. Watch the video sequence from 5:15 to 5:25 (approximate). Watch Tony’s face as he releases Parris’ leg. That seems more than a simple turn to protect position.

After several viewings (thanks Kwoodhawk) of the Parris vs Cassioppi match, Tony certainly seems to be in pain as Parris picks the ankle. Watch the video sequence from 5:15 to 5:25 (approximate). Watch Tony’s face as he releases Parris’ leg. That seems more than a simple turn to protect position.

Facepalm
800px_COLOURBOX853800.jpg

Judging by this girls face I've come to the conclusion she just partially tore her mcl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT