ADVERTISEMENT

Part of the baseball injury news is out there

I'll admit to be incredibly biased about the importance of the pitcher/catcher dynamics but, IMO, this is really tough news. "Plugging in" any available catcher on the roster is a lot easier in concept than in reality. Iowa's coaches don't allow the catchers to call pitches (I'll admit to not being a fan of that approach) - thus, the pitchers won't be second guessing whomever replaces Moss behind the plate. However, if Brecht/Morgan/Obermueller, et al. don't have the same trust in Moss' replacement to, say, handle a sharp slider, the effectiveness of the pitch is diminished. There's something to be said about minimizing the thoughts going on between the pitcher's ears while he's on the mound. You don't want him worrying if Moss' replacement will be quick enough to block a breaking ball in the dirt or frame an outside fastball on the black. Simply put, you want the pitcher to get the sign and throw the pitch.

Moreover, injuries to hamate bones wreak havoc on a hitter's power production. I wouldn't expect Moss to have the same pop in his bat this year.

Can't expect a whole season to pass without some injury news but, damn, this is a cold splash of water before the season even starts.

Max Burt injury confirmed.

One more injury to a catcher?
Cop’s stats as far as hitting are pretty impressive coming from Utah. Sure they can improve his catching abilities if needed so hopefully not a big drop off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT