ADVERTISEMENT

Pascuzzi

dbrocket

HR MVP
Jan 5, 2010
Dochterman and Howe were discussing the TE position and speculating he could win the 3rd TE job. It reminded me there was some buzz about him at some point, so I watched his Hudl highlight, not expecting much - highlights for tight end recruits rarely pop for me.

I actually think he looks really good. I'm not sure how he didn't get a scholarship somewhere, to be honest. It's very little to go on, but I won't be shocked if he turns into a very real player for us.

Senior highlights

He looks good as a pass catcher in the highlights - quick, moves well, finds soft spots in some zones - but this doesn't show that many snaps as a pass catcher. And he looks good at DE and in some snaps at H-back against a good competition level, so I'm sure he's tough enough to learn to be a good blocker here. Maybe the production wasn't consistent enough in any one position?

Last edited:
It’ll be tough for him to beat Stilly for that spot
I guess they're saying Kirk hinted at media day that he maybe has some ground to make up in terms of conditioning. That's not to say he won't get there by start of the season, and I guess it wasn't said in a bad way, but maybe hinting he has work to do to win the job.

I guess they're saying Kirk hinted at media day that he maybe has some ground to make up in terms of conditioning. That's not to say he won't get there by start of the season, and I guess it wasn't said in a bad way, but maybe hinting he has work to do to win the job.
Howe is a tool. Why Dochterman wastes his time with that guy is beyond my comprehension. Bad look for Dochterman.

Didn't Kirk also mention Pascuzzi has been impressing the coaches? Asking because I'm not sure as I didn't listen to everything from Indy.

Edit: that's a scholarship worthy highlight film if I've ever seen one.

Last edited:
Didn't Kirk also mention Pascuzzi has been impressing the coaches? Asking because I'm not sure as I didn't listen to everything from Indy.

Thought the same thing and he could very well be TE3, sounds like with the grad xfer Stillianos we should be good 1-4 there.

I think so, at some point.

Thought the same thing and he could very well be TE3, sounds like with the grad xfer Stillianos we should be good 1-4 there.
Hopefully you are correct, but I'm not sure that we have seen anything yet from TE 2-4 that tells us we are good past LaPorta. Lachey showed hands of stone last year and the other 2 haven't played a down for the Hawks yet.

Hopefully you are correct, but I'm not sure that we have seen anything yet from TE 2-4 that tells us we are good past LaPorta. Lachey showed hands of stone last year and the other 2 haven't played a down for the Hawks yet.
I'll have to go back and check film or stats but thought Luke did quite well for his first year seeing action. That said I don't recall Stillanos' film so need to do that too, fall camp will do a lot of sorting out re:
- TE3 and TE4
- Right tackle
- WR4 and WR5 (Bostick, Wick, Wetjen)
- PR and KR (Bruce, Wetjen, Xavier)
- DLine rotation (can go 12 deep)
- K (Blom vs. Stevens)
- CB3 and CB4 (Roberts and Harris?)

pascuzzi-1546239281.jpg

Lachey with hands of stones, huh!!! He did pretty well right out of the gate I thought. Eight catches but do not know the number of targets.

And a very nice 17 yard avg per catch. As TE #2 and a lot of attention on Laporta, the running game, and wideouts Lachey proved he could get open and make big plays.

Would love to see him double the number of catches and Laporta have the same type of production or better. But Laporta is going to be a marked man with the smaller number of proven wideouts (maybe Sneaky Ragaini has a big year).

JFC. Are you still crying because a reporter reported on a story? You know what, I don't even care. Whine about it somewhere else.
It’s amazing to me that Hawkeye fans still consume any content from guys like Rob Howe, Vanessa Miller, and that Levi Hawkeye Heaven guy.

Between people like Chad L. and our very own Tom Kakert there many good outlets for Hawkeye news without supporting those dishonest hacks.

Lachey with hands of stones, huh!!! He did pretty well right out of the gate I thought. Eight catches but do not know the number of targets.

And a very nice 17 yard avg per catch. As TE #2 and a lot of attention on Laporta, the running game, and wideouts Lachey proved he could get open and make big plays.

Would love to see him double the number of catches and Laporta have the same type of production or better. But Laporta is going to be a marked man with the smaller number of proven wideouts (maybe Sneaky Ragaini has a big year).

Lachey needs to improve his blocking. That's the only thing holding him back from being one of Iowa's best ever. Look out if he does.

Lachey needs to improve his blocking. That's the only thing holding him back from being one of Iowa's best ever. Look out if he does.
When he came in, I thought blocking would be his strength and speed his weakness. I'm not doubting you but are you seeing poor blocking or hearing about it?

Reactions: BBHawk
He was young last year and in his first action. I would imagine you see a big jump from him in that aspect. He got better as the year went on the same as the young guys on the OL.

He was young last year and in his first action. I would imagine you see a big jump from him in that aspect. He got better as the year went on the same as the young guys on the OL.
It seems like Iowa has the personnel to run some three-TE lineups this fall. Not every down of course but big guys who can get open and make for easier targets. Or big guys who are blocking for the running game.

Absolutely, he has a very high ceiling.

Lachey was almost as productive as LaPorta as a FR, with fewer catches.

He’s gonna be real good.

Lachey was almost as productive as LaPorta as a FR, with fewer catches.

He’s gonna be real good.
He might end up being great. He wasn't last year, but in all fairness you could say that about most of the Iowa pass catchers last year. Hopefully he and the rest of them take a nice step forward this year and develop the consistency that the offense needs.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I think he was better at catching the ball, LaPorta seemed to drop a few more catchable balls than he should have IIRC, uncharacteristic of Iowa tight ends.

LaPorta's drops were probably what kept him from leaving after last year. He had been mentioned as an early-round pick for the 22 draft before last season.

LaPorta's drops were probably what kept him from leaving after last year. He had been mentioned as an early-round pick for the 22 draft before last season.
Is there a stat somewhere for drops? It'd be interesting to see the ratio of drops to catches for each player last year. Seemed like Goodson had the best hands of the bunch.

LOL at Lachey's hands of stone comment. His receiving skills are the best part of his game. Huge catch last year against Iowa State where he had to go up and catch the ball in traffic. College FB drop stats aren't kept anywhere I know of other that PFF premium, but I remember a lot of drops by Iowa receivers last year, but not many/any by Lachey. A story in the Gazette at end of season said Iowa had most drops (25) of any team in the BT West.

Agree that we have no idea of Pascuzzi and Stillianos can play at the Big 10 level. But will be interesting to find out.

LOL at Lachey's hands of stone comment. His receiving skills are the best part of his game. Huge catch last year against Iowa State where he had to go up and catch the ball in traffic. College FB drop stats aren't kept anywhere I know of other that PFF premium, but I remember a lot of drops by Iowa receivers last year, but not many/any by Lachey. A story in the Gazette at end of season said Iowa had most drops (25) of any team in the BT West.

Agree that we have no idea of Pascuzzi and Stillianos can play at the Big 10 level. But will be interesting to find out.
He definitely had drops, but then again the entire receiving corps including the tight ends had too many drops. Need to get better this year. Ragaini was probably the worst of the lot in that regard.

Another day, another ill-informed post by jonesy.

Reactions: RothMatt
There is a difference between reporting on a story and attempting to create a narrative.
There is. And he was reporting on a story. A segment of Iowa fans then tried to 'create a narrative' because they don't like reporting they see as damaging to the team and because they like to pretend racism doesn't exist.

There is. And he was reporting on a story. A segment of Iowa fans then tried to 'create a narrative' because they don't like reporting they see as damaging to the team and because they like to pretend racism doesn't exist.
Agree to disagree.

No. Giving a platform to known liars like Robert T. Greene and DJK (who's told about 15 versions of the trash can story at this point) is not "reporting on a story", especially when he shows up at press conferences with "gotcha" questions at the ready and comes away disappointed with the responses.

Reactions: TC_Hawk
He didn’t just report the story lol. He took all the players’ accusation as fact and then defamed the coaching staff before any investigation was done. I’m honestly surprised he hasn’t gotten sued

Reactions: nbanflfactory
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT