ADVERTISEMENT

Pat attention to the warning signs

coasterhawk75

HR Legend
Dec 2, 2001
Iowa City
I'm not here to solicit sympathy but sending a reminder not to ignore warning signs you're body gives you and tell you why.

I had Covid last October. Mild case but during this time I noticed some pinkish drops at the end of my urine stream. At the time I chalked it up to Covid and didn't think much more about it.

Fast forward to March and I noticed some pinkish drops again along with heightened urinary urgency and frequency. I'm in my mid-60's so figured it was partly age with the urgency but the pinkish drops were a concern for sure.

I saw my Doctor and he ordered some extra tests blood tests and urinalysis. Microscopic blood in the urine was found . He ordered a CT Scan and sure enough some things didn't look right in the bladder. I had a procedure (Trans-Urethral Resection of Bladder Tumor) to scrape out everything that shouldn't be in the bladder (not fun!) and after the pathology came back I was told I had confirmed cancer of the bladder which included a rare variant that is highly aggressive and doesn't respond well to treatment. Second opinion more than agreed.

May 31 I had my bladder, prostate, and a bunch of pelvic lymph nodes removed. Everything was analyzed for pathology and there was also some cancer in the prostate. As part of that surgery they did an ileal conduit which provides an outlet to a stoma. I now have to wear a urostomy bag which is attached to my abdomen.

I'm adapting well and going stir crazy already as I have to be off work 4 more weeks.

On the plus side.....No more urgent trips to the bathroom! :) And no chemo needed at this time.

Anyway......Pay attention to those warning signs, even if you think it's nothing!

I'm not here to solicit sympathy but sending a reminder not to ignore warning signs you're body gives you and tell you why.

I had Covid last October. Mild case but during this time I noticed some pinkish drops at the end of my urine stream. At the time I chalked it up to Covid and didn't think much more about it.

Fast forward to March and I noticed some pinkish drops again along with heightened urinary urgency and frequency. I'm in my mid-60's so figured it was partly age with the urgency but the pinkish drops were a concern for sure.

I saw my Doctor and he ordered some extra tests blood tests and urinalysis. Microscopic blood in the urine was found . He ordered a CT Scan and sure enough some things didn't look right in the bladder. I had a procedure (Trans-Urethral Resection of Bladder Tumor) to scrape out everything that shouldn't be in the bladder (not fun!) and after the pathology came back I was told I had confirmed cancer of the bladder which included a rare variant that is highly aggressive and doesn't respond well to treatment. Second opinion more than agreed.

May 31 I had my bladder, prostate, and a bunch of pelvic lymph nodes removed. Everything was analyzed for pathology and there was also some cancer in the prostate. As part of that surgery they did an ileal conduit which provides an outlet to a stoma. I now have to wear a urostomy bag which is attached to my abdomen.

I'm adapting well and going stir crazy already as I have to be off work 4 more weeks.

On the plus side.....No more urgent trips to the bathroom! :) And no chemo needed at this time.

Anyway......Pay attention to those warning signs, even if you think it's nothing!
Holy crap, dude. Glad you're OK.

Lemme guess, your favorite place to pee is...everywhere.

Glad things are looking up for you!

Reactions: coasterhawk75

Good luck coaster!

I’d normally say to hang tough… but you’ve been doing that from the start. I hope I have your same positivity if ever in a similar situation.
Thanks Coaster for the reminder to watch out for the abnormalities.

Hoping the best for you man, sounds like your handling it well. A younger brother of mine got diagnosed with colon and kidney cancer late stage. Wasn’t sure he’d make it through the latest Christmas holiday but he’s still hanging tough with treatment.

Reactions: cigaretteman
remember, say your pain is always an 11
Before the junkies started overdosing on prescription drugs left and right that may have worked. Now you have to beg for it, and that may not be enough (probably depends on where you live too I suppose).

Good luck to the O.P.

Blood where it shouldn't be is usually something you should always check out.

Before the junkies started overdosing on prescription drugs left and right that may have worked. Now you have to beg for it, and that may not be enough (probably depends on where you live too I suppose).

Good luck to the O.P.
Agreed . I have had a lot of chronic pain but thankfully it has been better as of late. I feel bad for the people who have severe chronic pain and have issues getting opiates to manage pain

nothing else works like them that I know of

Good luck. Wishing you a speedy recovery. That's one of the toughest surgery we put you through. Glad to hear your pathology was good and no chemo. When you're recovered in about six months your peen may not work due to nerves removed with the prostate. Just remember there is help out there. You can thank me later.

Thanks! With a handle like Urohawk I should of guessed you might be in the business. The team I had at UIHC was outstanding. I really wouldn't have expected to feel as good as I do just two weeks out.
I fully expect that things won't be in working order "downstairs" . We'll wait and see and go from there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT