ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Fitzgerald Suspended...NOW FIRED....Has Hired a High-Profile Attorney to Fight Back

Your penis envy is obvious. How about the bugeaters have a winning season before you post again. We should be hearing from you in about a decade when you go back to the big 8. F'n rum.

I don’t even have to guess who you are talking too. In my 22ish years on here I’ve never seen a rival fan as obsessed as he is!

The hazing practices were widespread and happened for years. No one complained. One player made the complaint late last year after stating an intention to embellish the claims to get Fitz fired. No other player joined the complaint, although some have confirmed that the practices occurred when asked by investigators.

The fact that the hazing practices were widespread and no one complained at the time isn’t a defense. Not many players will confront this stuff while they’re still on the team.

None of the assistants knew what was going on, of course....

Several of them were hired since the end of last season, including the DC (prospective interim HC), so it's quite possible that they didn't know. But if Fitz needs to be fired, then it's not clear why the holdover assistants get to stay - at least not based on publicly available information.

We may have a bit of a fuzzy memory when it comes to NW football. Yes, Fitz had 3 10-win and 1 9-win seasons in his 17 years but he was only .521. The much beloved Randy Walker before him was .445 and Gary Barnett was .437 (1 10-win and 1 9-win season in 7 years). The real revival of NW was done by Barnett as he got them to a Rose Bowl...unthinkable at the time.

Fitz was certainly the ideal fit and kept NW respectable, but he was no savior. Interesting how longevity tends to make a guy look better. Some would argue that the program was already "slipping" back to old NW level.
Well, winning record or not he had a lot of success against Iowa.

That along with ISU's success against KFz are the low points (competitively speaking) of his tenure
To be fair, Ferentz has done a lot to address this and at least with ISU, it's not like they weren't fielding competitive teams during that time period. But yeah, for a while it was inexcusable considering the teams Iowa had versus the teams they were playing.

Reactions: cmhawks99
To be fair, Ferentz has done a lot to address this and at least with ISU, it's not like they weren't fielding competitive teams during that time period. But yeah, for a while it was inexcusable considering the teams Iowa had versus the teams they were playing.
The ISU losses, like some other "upsets" were a byproduct of his "keep it close and conservative" approach...where you wait the other team out and hope they make a mistake instead of going for the kill. It can backfire when the other team plays a good game. (see NDSU).

Playing not to lose...as it was sometimes called. It could also be called waiting for the other team to beat themselves...rather than just beating them yourself.

The ISU losses, like some other "upsets" were a byproduct of his "keep it close and conservative" approach...where you wait the other team out and hope they make a mistake instead of going for the kill. It can backfire when the other team plays a good game. (see NDSU).

Playing not to lose...as it was sometimes called. It could also be called waiting for the other team to beat themselves...rather than just beating them yourself.
That has been an issue for a large part of his career for sure. Although the last few years the offense has been so bad they couldn't go for the kill if the other team walked up to them and died right in front of them.

Several of them were hired since the end of last season, including the DC (prospective interim HC), so it's quite possible that they didn't know. But if Fitz needs to be fired, then it's not clear why the holdover assistants get to stay - at least not based on publicly available information.
Well, I'm sure "they get to stay" because right now, how the hell would they put a staff together with camp starting in a couple of weeks. Still that doesn't mean they will be retained once a new HC is hired, most likely at the conclusion of this upcoming season.

Wadley's main deal, (regardless of what he says) is that he and "Momma the author" we're pissed because he didn't make it in the league, and they're using KF as the scapegoat for his not making the big show. His issues are EXACTLY what KF rode him for in his time at Iowa. He's not a hard worker and doesn't conform to the things his coaches suggested for his potential improvement. You'd have to be a freakin stud for a professional team to overlook those types of poor traits, and he's not all that, at least not at the NFL level....

You are 100% correct at least as I see it… And as you remember our fans whined & threw a fit about it while he was here but now, in hindsight, it does look like KF generally does know what’s going on in those kind of personal things!

And now he’ll have to live with it for the rest of his life!

Reactions: Chucksizzle1
Well, I'm sure "they get to stay" because right now, how the hell would they put a staff together with camp starting in a couple of weeks. Still that doesn't mean they will be retained once a new HC is hired, most likely at the conclusion of this upcoming season.
Yeah ... likely more of the "buck stops here" sort of situation as it relates to Fitz. The assistants don't have the power that the head honcho had. Thus, it's not an instance of whether the assistants knew or not ... but rather, at the most fundamental level, it was Fitz's responsibility to keep his guys "safe." The failure is ultimately on him.

Reactions: cmhawks99
My thoughts as well. You have to keep the staff together for recruiting and to try to keep guys from bolting to the portal.

Was Northwestern supposed to be any good before this scandal broke?

Don't know, BUT "any good" and even fielding a team are two different deals. I mean if they let all the assistants hit the door with Fitz, who would they get with camp starting in days? Who would walk into that mess......

Reactions: Franisdaman

Funny thing about that… Fitz was the kind of guy that could rally a team that was supposed to be awful and somehow find eight wins, and a big 10 championship… Right?!

This changes the narrative…. Just like Kirk he is definitely replaceable, but I’d be shocked if they get it done in one hirer.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I dunno, when the Hawks have lost to ISU for the last 16 seasons they are somewhere between bad and abysmal. The only times ISU beat Iowa with a winning record were 2005 and prior, those most recent 3 losses were in Kinnick too

2022: 4-8
2014: 2-10
2012: 6-7
2011: 6-7
2007: 3-9

That recent win streak created a lot of goodwill and finally got Kirk over .500 vs them in 2017, can't let that erode by making that 2 in a row vs clowns in september.

You are 100% correct at least as I see it… And as you remember our fans whined & threw a fit about it while he was here but now, in hindsight, it does look like KF generally does know what’s going on in those kind of personal things!

And now he’ll have to live with it for the rest of his life!
If you mean Wadley yeah.
Unfortunately with $250,000 in his pocket.
Really a shame this did not go to court.

Don't know, BUT "any good" and even fielding a team are two different deals. I mean if they let all the assistants hit the door with Fitz, who would they get with camp starting in days? Who would walk into that mess......

it's too late for players to enter the transfer portal potty but damn, imagine if they were allowed to

I dunno, when the Hawks have lost to ISU for the last 16 seasons they are somewhere between bad and abysmal. The only times ISU beat Iowa with a winning record were 2005 and prior, those most recent 3 losses were in Kinnick too

2022: 4-8
2014: 2-10
2012: 6-7
2011: 6-7
2007: 3-9

That recent win streak created a lot of goodwill and finally got Kirk over .500 vs them in 2017, can't let that erode by making that 2 in a row vs clowns in september.

A couple things here… number one, we have lost some baffling games and I will readily admit that is what has turned off the 15% of the fanbase like you BL and I’m not screwing with you. I often disagree with you and many time find you unfair but I have begun to see you actually are relatively reasonable and again that probably feels backhanded. I don’t mean it to be, but I don’t want to pretend like I always agree with you…

With that said we have had some head scratching losses versus ISU, NW, Purdue, Western Michigan. I mean some real shit ball teams… of which I don’t consider North Dakota state by the way, although yes, we should’ve beat them ! Keep in mind, so did Hayden but I digress.

But we also started 0-4 against Iowa State and it took him a while to dig out of that & to their credit, It really is a true rivalry game. Dan McCarney made it really tough on us early on and then Paul Rhodes, who I don’t think was a very good coach, definitely knew how to fire them up for the Iowa game!

We have improved that “bad loss thing“ demonstratively… That doesn’t change the fact that we still have lost to plenty of teams that we had more talent than, but let’s keep in mind those teams also think they should beat Iowa, so there is that!

Just my 2 cents!

it's too late for players to enter the transfer portal potty but damn, imagine if they were allowed to

Just pure speculation on my part, but I would have to believe with extenuating circumstances they would indeed be allowed to transfer, now it remains to be seen how many people will grab them this late in the game but I would expect if they’re good enough, they will

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT