ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Forde Column: College Football Playoff Contention is on the Line Tomorrow

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
After Iowa won 15 straight, most of them in blowouts, Iowa State finally won the Cy-Hawk game in 1998

A kid from a small town in North Central Iowa was on the losing team—DeVries, from Aplington. DeVries only wanted one FBS-level offer, from Iowa. “We messed that up in ’98,” he said. “I probably have to wear some humility for that. It was a game we expected to win. It’s become extremely competitive and become a rivalry starting with that game.”

Link to FULL Story: https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/09/iowa-iowa-state-biggest-ever-cy-hawk-game

Last edited:
Never forget:

History has an astonishing way of repeating itself, with enough plot twists to keep everyone entertained. On Saturday, history repeated in the teeming mass of Midwestern mediocrity known as the Big Ten (3).

One year ago almost to the day, The Dash offered sincere thanks to Iowa for knocking 9-0 Penn State from the ranks of the unbeaten and saving America from another beatdown of an overmatched Big Ten team in the BCS National Championship Game.

This year, the thanks flow in a different direction from Iowa City. The Dash is sending balloons, kazoos and party streamers to Northwestern (4) for exposing fraudulent Iowa (5). The Wildcats spared this great nation from having to listen to more earnestly deluded Hawkeyes fans explain why their team deserved a shot at the national title, despite a string of underwhelming victories against suspect competition.

Listening to Iowa's attempts to twist logic was like watching John Goodman try to fit into Prince's jeans. Not pretty.

Now everyone knows the truth. Even Iowans, who are free to return to reality.

After Iowa won 15 straight, most of them in blowouts, Iowa State finally won the Cy-Hawk game in 1998

A kid from a small town in North Central Iowa was on the losing team—DeVries, from Aplington. DeVries only wanted one FBS-level offer, from Iowa. “We messed that up in ’98,” he said. “I probably have to wear some humility for that. It was a game we expected to win. It’s become extremely competitive and become a rivalry starting with that game.”

Link to FULL Story: https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/09/iowa-iowa-state-biggest-ever-cy-hawk-game
AWESOME ARTICLE THANKS FRANNY THE MANNY

• Love
Reactions: Franisdaman
Never forget:

History has an astonishing way of repeating itself, with enough plot twists to keep everyone entertained. On Saturday, history repeated in the teeming mass of Midwestern mediocrity known as the Big Ten (3).

One year ago almost to the day, The Dash offered sincere thanks to Iowa for knocking 9-0 Penn State from the ranks of the unbeaten and saving America from another beatdown of an overmatched Big Ten team in the BCS National Championship Game.

This year, the thanks flow in a different direction from Iowa City. The Dash is sending balloons, kazoos and party streamers to Northwestern (4) for exposing fraudulent Iowa (5). The Wildcats spared this great nation from having to listen to more earnestly deluded Hawkeyes fans explain why their team deserved a shot at the national title, despite a string of underwhelming victories against suspect competition.

Listening to Iowa's attempts to twist logic was like watching John Goodman try to fit into Prince's jeans. Not pretty.

Now everyone knows the truth. Even Iowans, who are free to return to reality.

And then he becomes a pimp for Boise state later in that same article.. weird thing to bag on Iowa for not playing tougher competition and then promote Boise state that plays no one of significance except maybe one difficult opponent from a major conference. Hey they best someone in a bowl game a few times....great. let them play Iowa's schedule of mediocrity as the author describes the Big Ten and let's see how they do. These sports writers like to trash the big ten don't they? Almost like a writer from ESPN has an agenda

“Iowa fans say it’s not an important game to them. But I promise you, there’s nothing worse for them than losing to Iowa State. So what does that tell you?”

Umm off the top of my head worst loses include:

A lose to WI on a fake punt

Losing to Phat Pat

And losing to Purdue is moving into the 'top 5 worst loses' category.

Reactions: Franisdaman
“Iowa fans say it’s not an important game to them. But I promise you, there’s nothing worse for them than losing to Iowa State. So what does that tell you?”

Umm off the top of my head worst loses include:

A lose to WI on a fake punt

Losing to Phat Pat

And losing to Purdue is moving into the 'top 5 worst loses' category.

False premise. Iowa fans don't say it's not important....they say it's not as important to them as it is TO THE CLONES.

False premise. Iowa fans don't say it's not important....they say it's not as important to them as it is TO THE CLONES.
This year has a much different feel for me. It’s a legit game and both teams have roughly the same amount of stuff on the table.
  • The winner gets a top 10 win on the resume heading into the serious part of conference play
  • The winner will be in a ratings and quality of resume position to be in play for playoff talks if the wins keep coming.
  • The loser still really has virtually all of their season goals on the table, as a close loss might not even be a fatal blow for playoff chances.

Iowa would still need to beat Ohio State and penn state and maybe even whisky.

playoff contention is on the line every week for almost everybody.

What passes for journalism today is a joke.

As much as I love the Hawks, neither one of these teams will be in playoff talk at the end of the season. Iowa needs its QB to win a couple games for them for a magical season to happen and that just isn't who we have right now. ISU is just ISU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT