ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Lugo-Big Ten Wrestler of the Week

Congrats to Pat; the last month or so was his best wrestling in Iowa's singlet and what we all expected when he joined us! Keep it going!

Great job Lugo well deserved award. Keep on going lots of awards out there for you. Best of everything for you and the team at big tens and nationals. GO HAWKS

That was a good version of Gfeller that Lugo beat. Both guys were ready to rock and roll. Lugo just took it to him. He and Warner have made steady progress since their early season injuries/illness.

Good time to be hot. Potential finalist?

Even though he has steadily improved, I wouldn't expect higher than 4th. Even with the crazy upset Kolodzik just took he has shown to be solidly ahead of Lugo this season and Ashnault and Jordan look to be solidly above Kolodzik. Still, for how the season started, I would be extremely willing to accept a 4-6 finish from Lugo!

Reactions: redghost1974
Even though he has steadily improved, I wouldn't expect higher than 4th. Even with the crazy upset Kolodzik just took he has shown to be solidly ahead of Lugo this season and Ashnault and Jordan look to be solidly above Kolodzik. Still, for how the season started, I would be extremely willing to accept a 4-6 finish from Lugo!

He’s ranked 8th, and I would take that in a heartbeat. The last few years the times we’ve placed higher than our ranks are pretty rare.

Reactions: el dub
He’s ranked 8th, and I would take that in a heartbeat. The last few years the times we’ve placed higher than our ranks are pretty rare.

That narrative you keep pushing is getting tired and IS NOT accurate!

Just last year:
Lee was seeded 3rd and took FIRST scoring GIANT BONUS
Turk was unseeded and went 2-2 beating 2 seeded wrestlers.
Sorensen was admittedly seeded 2nd, but he lost 2 1 point matches to the guys that took 2nd and 3rd and he took 5th.
Kemerer was seeded 6th and took 4th only losing to Nolf before getting hurt in his last match.
Marinelli was the 5 seed in a monster bracket and took 6th. He did,however, make the semis beating the 4 seed before losing to the 1 seed, 10 seed(Wick caught fire) and the 2 seed.
Gunther was unseeded and went 0-2
Bowman was unseeded with a 12-11 record and went 2-2 only losing to the 2nd and 4th place finishers
Wilcke was the 14 seed and made the R12 losing only to the 2nd and 4th place finishers
Stoll was seeded 5th and took 5th with MONSTER bonus points.

So, Lee, Turk, Kemerer, Bowman and Wilcke all exceeded their "rankings" significantly, while Stoll matched it but exceeded expected scoring substantially. Gunther lost his 1st match to an AA and then lost to a guy that went 2-2. Sorenson and Marinelli were the ONLY 2 that didn't match or exceed their "rankings" and both didn't drop off much!

I will add prior years as well just to show how OFF your constant narrative is!

Good for Lugo! It’s not how you start the season, it’s how you finish. Looks like he’s hitting his stride at the right time. He was one of the bright spots from Sunday. Keep it rollin’!

Just last year:
Sorensen was admittedly seeded 2nd, but he lost 2 1 point matches to the guys that took 2nd and 3rd and he took 5th.
Kemerer was seeded 6th and took 4th only losing to Nolf before getting hurt in his last match.
Marinelli was the 5 seed in a monster bracket and took 6th. He did,however, make the semis beating the 4 seed before losing to the 1 seed, 10 seed(Wick caught fire) and the 2 seed.
Bowman was unseeded with a 12-11 record and went 2-2 only losing to the 2nd and 4th place finishers
Wilcke was the 14 seed and made the R12 losing only to the 2nd and 4th place finishers

So, Lee, Turk, Kemerer, Bowman and Wilcke all exceeded their "rankings" significantly, while Stoll matched it but exceeded expected scoring substantially. Gunther lost his 1st match to an AA and then lost to a guy that went 2-2. Sorenson and Marinelli were the ONLY 2 that didn't match or exceed their "rankings" and both didn't drop off much!

A lot of the above is false or misleading. Lee was the only wrestler to finish above his pre-tournament ranking. We had a bad BIGS, which dropped several guys seeds at Nationals. This allowed us to match (not exceed) our seeds pretty well at Nationals -- but those seeds were lower than their rankings. Even with those lower seeds we only had two guys (Lee and Kemdawg) who exceeded their seeds. This is, at the least, mildly disappointing.

Again, Lee was the only guy who exceeded his pre-tournament ranking last year.

Last edited:
A lot of the above is false, and much is misleading. Lee was the only wrestler to finish above his pre-tournament ranking. We had a bad BIGS, which dropped several guys seeds at Nationals. This allowed us to do match our seeds pretty well at Nationals -- but those seeds were lower than their rankings. But even with those lower seeds we only had two guys (Lee and Kemdawg) who exceeded their seeds. This is, at the least, mildly disappointing.

Again, Lee was the only guy who exceeded his pre-tournament ranking last year.

That is a HOT GARBAGE argument. The NCAA Tournament results are a DIRECT product of their seeds. Still, Lee took 3rd as the 2 seed at B1G's losing a tight one to NaTo who won the damn tournament. 133 and 141 weren't seeded and Turk did enough to qualify. Sorensen was 2nd and lost his 2nd closest match to Retherford 2-0. Kemerer injury defaulted to 6th. Marinelli lost to the returning 3rd place finisher 2x and a world champ. Both of whom he beat in close matches during the regular season. Gunther wasn't seeded and took 6th. Bowman wasn't seeded and took 8th. Wilcke was seeded 3rd and ended up forfeiting in the 5th/6th match. Stoll was seeded 4th and took 4th.

So, your argument is based on Kemerer getting injured and Marinelli losing to Massa and Lewis? Wilcke wasn't getting a much higher seed than 14th even if he took 3rd at B1Gs......

Reactions: hoythawk

Just last year:

Nice breakdown.

That is a HOT GARBAGE argument. The NCAA Tournament results are a DIRECT product of their seeds. Still, Lee took 3rd as the 2 seed at B1G's losing a tight one to NaTo who won the damn tournament. 133 and 141 weren't seeded and Turk did enough to qualify. Sorensen was 2nd and lost his 2nd closest match to Retherford 2-0. Kemerer injury defaulted to 6th. Marinelli lost to the returning 3rd place finisher 2x and a world champ. Both of whom he beat in close matches during the regular season. Gunther wasn't seeded and took 6th. Bowman wasn't seeded and took 8th. Wilcke was seeded 3rd and ended up forfeiting in the 5th/6th match. Stoll was seeded 4th and took 4th.

So, your argument is based on Kemerer getting injured and Marinelli losing to Massa and Lewis? Wilcke wasn't getting a much higher seed than 14th even if he took 3rd at B1Gs......

All you’re doing is rationalizing. If you look at our guys’ rankings each year at this time, then compare those rankings to their place at NCAAs, you’ll see that it’s not very often that one of our guys exceeds their ranking. That’s what my argument is based on. The raw facts. The unadulterated numbers.

It doesn’t matter what the reason is - a lot of it is clearly bad luck - the fact is we’re not seeing #8 guys finishing in 4th. So, as I said in the post to which you objected, with Lugo ranked #8 I will be quite happy if he indeed finishes eighth. And we all should be.

All you’re doing is rationalizing. If you look at our guys’ rankings each year at this time, then compare those rankings to their place at NCAAs, you’ll see that it’s not very often that one of our guys exceeds their ranking. That’s what my argument is based on. The raw facts. The unadulterated numbers.

It doesn’t matter what the reason is - a lot of it is clearly bad luck - the fact is we’re not seeing #8 guys finishing in 4th. So, as I said in the post to which you objected, with Lugo ranked #8 I will be quite happy if he indeed finishes eighth. And we all should be.

Rankings mean SQUAT come NCAA tournament time. Rankings are PURELY opinion. Seedings, on the other hand, are based on a slew of criteria, percentages and math. You, my friend, are the one rationalizing.

Concur with MSU158 on rankings, for me our guys need to keep wrestling hard be it on the front side or on the backside and I will be happy.

Rankings mean SQUAT come NCAA tournament time. Rankings are PURELY opinion. Seedings, on the other hand, are based on a slew of criteria, percentages and math. You, my friend, are the one rationalizing.

Your words have nothing to do with the post to which you objected. Review:

"He’s ranked 8th, and I would take that in a heartbeat. The last few years the times we’ve placed higher than our ranks are pretty rare."

That was a good version of Gfeller that Lugo beat. Both guys were ready to rock and roll. Lugo just took it to him. He and Warner have made steady progress since their early season injuries/illness.
Gfeller has had rib issues per the Cowboys fans for a few weeks now - coincides with his dip in form

$50 to HWC: I bet Lugo places higher than 8th.

Which rankings
source are you using as the foundation for your original post and the ensuing disagreements?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT