ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick McCaffery Video highlights from this past weekend (May 11-13)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Patrick McCaffery's AAU team played in the Twin Cities this weekend (May 11-13).

The team played at 11:45 am Saturday morning (May 12) at Wayzata High School

The team is loaded and includes

5* Matthew Hurt
4* Patrick McCaffery
Iowa target Tyrell Terry

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune article:

The X-factor for D1 Minnesota this year has been 6-8 forward Patrick McCaffery, committed to play for Iowa coach Fran McCaffery, his father. Every player on the roster is a Division I prospect, including Minnesotans Robert Jones from Prior Lake and Jamison Battle from DeLaSalle.

“I definitely think this team has the potential to win the gauntlet,” Terry said. “We’ve done well so far. Sky’s the limit for us. I don’t think there are many teams that can beat us. We’ll just see where it goes.”

LINK to story: http://www.startribune.com/matthew-hurt-is-leading-another-loaded-d1-minnesota-aau-team/482316922/

LINK to Patrick's video highlights from that weekend:

https://www.courtsidefilms.com/news...ick-mccaffery-highlights-battle-at-the-lakes-

Last edited:
Reactions: RocknRollface
white men can't jump

note the iowa fans

CLICK ON THE IMAGE FOR A LARGER VIEW

DdA14otV0AE59cJ.jpg

DdA14otVwAAMLbs.jpg

Terry's stats so far are impressive. Team stats 2nd in ppg at 15.4, 2nd in rb at 5.2, 1st in assists at 5.7 apg. 5* Hurt is first in scoring and rebounds as you might expect.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Sounds like Patrick even played some lead guard this weekend, handling the ball a lot. I am skeptical of parts of his game, but his ball handling at his size is definitely strong.

But, not a true pg. do not want. I doubt he would come here with the coaches son playing at the same position anyways.

Sounds like Patrick even played some lead guard this weekend, handling the ball a lot. I am skeptical of parts of his game, but his ball handling at his size is definitely strong.

But, not a true pg. do not want. I doubt he would come here with the coaches son playing at the same position anyways.

I’m envisioning a strong off ball player who perhaps is never a volume/isolation scorer. The kind of player who gives you 10 points, 6 boards, 3 assists, 3 blocks who lives in transition and cutting/slashing in the half court.

I’m skeptical he’s a guy who you throw the ball to and tell him to get a bucket in the half court.

I’m envisioning a strong off ball player who perhaps is never a volume/isolation scorer. The kind of player who gives you 10 points, 6 boards, 3 assists, 3 blocks who lives in transition and cutting/slashing in the half court.

I’m skeptical he’s a guy who you throw the ball to and tell him to get a bucket in the half court.

We will see how his strength progresses. Were you a fan of Aaron White? I see similaries there, with Patrick better off the dribble and white having better coordination. Similar leaping ability and size.

Right now I see Patrick as a quick, running PF in college. He can play SF on offense but not sure how he projects on D yet.

Probably correct. Has a very varied skill set. I'm sure people will complain if he doesn't score 20 points a game.

Reactions: joemc2
Is it me or does he look a little bigger? Maybe “less thin” is a better way to put it?

Yeah, he's thin, but so are most of the other guys. He doesn't appear to be a toothpick anymore.

Runs and passes very well - really pretty athletic. Dunking is all fine and good, but will he be able to get to the rim?

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I was actually going to mention that also, I think he does.

He's gotten a lot better. Which is not surprising given his age. I know people have fixated about him putting on weight, but I am not sure that helps him a lot. His value will be in a player of his size and skill having the ability to put the ball on the floor, shooting and passing. And defending opponents and causing them trouble with his length and movement. Bulking him up doesn't really help him a lot, just my opinion.

He, Carton, Wieskamp. Yes please.

He's gotten a lot better. Which is not surprising given his age. I know people have fixated about him putting on weight, but I am not sure that helps him a lot. His value will be in a player of his size and skill having the ability to put the ball on the floor, shooting and passing. And defending opponents and causing them trouble with his length and movement. Bulking him up doesn't really help him a lot, just my opinion.

He, Carton, Wieskamp. Yes please.

I agree. I am imaging a lineup of JBo/Connor, Wieskamp, Dailey/Moss, PMac and Garza and their ability to spread the floor. With that kind of spacing and anyone 1-4 being able to get by their man, it is going to create havoc and breakdowns for opposing defenses. I don’t worry about PMac getting to the rim at all. Any kind of collapsing by the defense is going to leave a shooter wide open, including Garza.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
You can tell he has spent a good deal of his career with the ball in his hands and/or running the floor. The downside to this is that he really lacks any fundamental back to the basket game. He can be effective but it is very funky, again similar to White. I would like to see him get a couple go to moves (particularly a drop step given his leaping ability) from the block as I think it would provide him some consistency and even more flexibility with the offense.

Wow...count me in as impressed. Now, just for a moment imagine you don't know this kid, his name isn't McCaffrey and he hails from Chicago, what say you after watching this? We would drooling even more, he looks like another Aaron White to me, perhaps even more explosion and he can run the court like a deer, he's a junior this fall correct?

Wow...count me in as impressed. Now, just for a moment imagine you don't know this kid, his name isn't McCaffrey and he hails from Chicago, what say you after watching this? We would drooling even more, he looks like another Aaron White to me, perhaps even more explosion and he can run the court like a deer, he's a junior this fall correct?

Patrick will be a senior this fall. He'll officially join the Hawkeyes a year from now.

Gotcha, thanks. He looks to have put on a few lbs. over the last two years...oh, to get a 4-star PG to go along with Weiskamp and the rest of the crew, c'mon down DJ!

DJ would be a major piece of the puzzle. We've been missing a player like him for a long time. DJ, Patrick and Joe would be a hell of a core to build around!

You can tell he has spent a good deal of his career with the ball in his hands and/or running the floor. The downside to this is that he really lacks any fundamental back to the basket game. He can be effective but it is very funky, again similar to White. I would like to see him get a couple go to moves (particularly a drop step given his leaping ability) from the block as I think it would provide him some consistency and even more flexibility with the offense.
I don't see him playing with his back to the basket in college. There really is only room for once post player on the floor at a time. Everyone else needs to be able dribble, pass and drive.

He looks to be a pretty decent shot blocker for his size.

Reactions: RocknRollface

So your saying Aaron White? Yes, I'll take another please......:cool:

I was actually going to mention that also, I think he does.
People overlook that Patrick has been basically committed to Iowa since he was a young teen, not to mention his bout with thyroid cancer. He's bound to continue to mature the next year and a half.

Here's my WAG about Patrick and the comparison that I will make...I kind of see the JU and AW comparisons but I think his game is more like a taller and longer Jake Kelly at this point. I am not predicting a PG, but he will be a guy that can play every position expect maybe the post...for at least short stints.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT