ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick McCaffery Video highlights from this past weekend (May 11-13)

Yeah, I'm not really getting the comparisons to Aaron White. I'd sure take it if he becomes that. :)

IDK, Uthoff? He looks like someone that can be sneaky around the basket, but not overpower anyone.

He's a better ball handler now than White was me thinks. I think he's going to have an excellent career.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Here's my WAG about Patrick and the comparison that I will make...I kind of see the JU and AW comparisons but I think his game is more like a taller and longer Jake Kelly at this point. I am not predicting a PG, but he will be a guy that can play every position expect maybe the post...for at least short stints.

Kelly wasn’t a great shooter but he was way better than Patrick.

Reactions: Nogoodusernamesleft
Here's my WAG about Patrick and the comparison that I will make...I kind of see the JU and AW comparisons but I think his game is more like a taller and longer Jake Kelly at this point. I am not predicting a PG, but he will be a guy that can play every position expect maybe the post...for at least short stints.

Spot on Perry. PMac seems to be a much better ball handler than either JU or AW.

Kelly wasn’t a great shooter but he was way better than Patrick.

I think Kelly was not a good shooter at all to start but improved over time. I think Patrick could follow that same path but has a higher upside than Jake.

Aaaahhhh Jake Kelly. He was like our best or most promising player, one of 3 or 4 consecutive who did so. Aaahhhhh the good old days

Patrick's shooting form is in need of an overhaul, if he's ever going to be a good 3 pt shooter. That's not easy to do.

I agree completely with the shooting form issue.....and I don't understand that being the son of two parents who should really know how to teach that the right way. That said, I think that it can be done...but as you said it is difficult to change at this stage.

I agree completely with the shooting form issue.....and I don't understand that being the son of two parents who should really know how to teach that the right way. That said, I think that it can be done...but as you said it is difficult to change at this stage.

I think strength is the main issue. Joe used to shoot the same way and as he got stronger he shot got much better.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I think strength is the main issue. Joe used to shoot the same way and as he got stronger he shot got much better.
Strength is a big issue for developing shooters. Isn't the main problem with his form the time it takes to get the shot off and the low release point? Given his height and ability to drive, I'm not sure it will be that big of a deal. Seems like there was some tall guy from Northwestern a few years ago that had a funky shot too (wish I could remember his name), but he got away with it because of his height and ability to handle the ball.

Last edited:
Strength is a big issue for developing shooters. Isn't main problem with his form the time it takes to get the shot off and the low release point? Given his height and ability to drive, I'm not sure it will be that big of a deal. Seems like there was some tall guy from Northwestern a few years ago that had a funky shot too (wish I could remember his name), but he got away with it because of his height and ability to handle the ball.

John Shurna.

Form is overrated, the majority of 3pt attempts are uncontested, especially for non guards. If it goes in it works.

Patrick's shooting form is in need of an overhaul, if he's ever going to be a good 3 pt shooter. That's not easy to do.
Hopefully that is something he can work on this summer. It seems like he's had a lot of growth (both height and weight) so maybe now he can work with trainer to improve his shooting form.

My Wild A** Guess is that he started shooting with that form when he first picked up a basketball and had to shoot that way when he was young due to a lack of strength. Then, unfortunately, that form gets locked into place through repetition. I have no doubt that he is now, and has been for some time, strong enough to shoot the ball with proper form.

Again, in my non basketball player not an expert point of view, I am sure that I have read/heard somewhere that in order to develop a high level of consistency and efficiency that good form is vital.

Granted the Shurna kid was really good and he had a funky shot/form.....but I think that is the exception.

He's probably like all kids, they don't listen to their parents :confused:

Connor’s form kind of shocked me the first time I saw him shoot at one of the exhibitions games. Looked more like a side winder or that he was shooting from his hip. It seemed less noticeable on TV, but then again there hasn’t been a whole lot of game attempts from last year.

43% from 3pt land as a FR.
36.5% as a SO.
30% as a JR.
27% as a SR.
Looks like the opposite is true.
Is that you kilroy?:p This is what happens when you change names 3000 times.

I know this is in response to Perry saying he got better, but IIRC he had some major injuries after he left Iowa.

Strength is a big issue for developing shooters. Isn't the main problem with his form the time it takes to get the shot off and the low release point? Given his height and ability to drive, I'm not sure it will be that big of a deal. Seems like there was some tall guy from Northwestern a few years ago that had a funky shot too (wish I could remember his name), but he got away with it because of his height and ability to handle the ball.

John Shurna.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

I know this is in response to Perry saying he got better, but IIRC he had some major injuries after he left Iowa.
Don't know Kilroy. Correcting an inaccurate statement with statistical facts, is all.
I thought his mother passing unexpectedly had a huge effect on him and how his game declined but that's just a guess.

His mom died in a plane crash while traveling back from an Iowa game. I do not think he was the same since. That could mess with anyone's shot...

But I do remember him being a better shooter, or at least a better scorer. Maybe a better clutch scorer/shooter. That may not be seen in his stat line. But he did get better...from what I saw...

Maybe that is what Perry remembered?

Don't know Kilroy. Correcting an inaccurate statement with statistical facts, is all.
I thought his mother passing unexpectedly had a huge effect on him and how his game declined but that's just a guess.
Just kidding about you being another alias for an infamous poster here, that keeps coming back with new incarnations. Eventually he''ll have to choose a user name like yours.

Just kidding about you being another alias for an infamous poster here, that keeps coming back with new incarnations. Eventually he''ll have to choose a user name like yours.
I picked 3 usernames and they were all taken. I didn't waste any more time trying to be creative.

The two things I think he needs to work on

1) 5-10 lbs of muscle for next year
2) He has always had a low start point for his shot, I would work on trying to get that higher. Going to be hard getting shot off in the BIG10 when you start it at your belly. This can be re-learned as he is a good shooter with good touch.

The two things I think he needs to work on

1) 5-10 lbs of muscle for next year
2) He has always had a low start point for his shot, I would work on trying to get that higher. Going to be hard getting shot off in the BIG10 when you start it at your belly. This can be re-learned as he is a good shooter with good touch.

Patrick needs to redshirt a year. Focus completely on 2 things: Entirely restructure his shot. And gain as much weight as he possibly can.

We will be loaded with Juniors & Seniors, and JoeW at the positions he would play. So, he would not be needed anyhow.

Reactions: hexumhawk
ADVERTISEMENT