ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick McCaffery

Hawks2405

HR MVP
Oct 13, 2006
Hawkeye Land
I listened to the new Hawkeye Report podcast this morning and Tom had the Iowa Barnstormers AAU coaches on the segment for an interview. They both said that Patrick McCaffery is the best 8th grader they have ever had in the program and that if he continues to develop he will be a top 10-25 kid in his class and there is a very good possibility that he could end up a McDonald's All-American. He is already 6'7 and they think he will grow a few more inches. He is a very skilled wing player. That is some pretty exciting stuff.

I listened to the new Hawkeye Report podcast this morning and Tom had the Iowa Barnstormers AAU coaches on the segment for an interview. They both said that Patrick McCaffery is the best 8th grader they have ever had in the program and that if he continues to develop he will be a top 10-25 kid in his class and there is a very good possibility that he could end up a McDonald's All-American. He is already 6'7 and they think he will grow a few more inches. He is a very skilled wing player. That is some pretty exciting stuff.

If. If. If. The hype machine begins.

Reactions: NI hawk
I would say that he has a completely different skill set than Aaron White. Don't get me wrong, I thought White was great but he was pretty much the epitome of a scrappy guy that was in the right place at the right time coupled with being a great dunker. He did start knocking down some outside shots in his senior year but he was always a liability when he put the ball on the deck. They said that Patrick is a deadeye shooter with excellent ball handling skills. He is a legitimate 2 guard at 6'7. Can you imagine that for at least one year we could potentially have Connor at PG with Wieskamp and Patrick on the wings? That would be one hell of a backcourt.

I will never give up until Iowa has an elite PG...

I have a hunch one is out there, just waiting to ink a deal...

I will never give up until Iowa has an elite PG...

I have a hunch one is out there, just waiting to ink a deal...

We didn't really figure you would actually. We'll hope you are right that one is waiting to ink a deal then maybe you'll shut your trap. (Just kidding, kinda)

Great to see that he's developing into a top prospect - and committed to the Hawkeyes.

Question though - he's 14, going into 8th grade with a spring birthday. Was he held back? He's likely a full year older than many of his grade peers.

We could use more than one elite PG...so I wouldn't shut my trap even if he develops into the elite PG we have not had in years...

We could use more than one elite PG...so I wouldn't shut my trap even if he develops into the elite PG we have not had in years...

th
Please? How many college teams can boast two elite point guards? Wait! Don't answer......don't say anything.

Reactions: IronFist1776
If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt so much!

He will be a good one. However, I found it interesting when they discussed him maybe not being able to put on enuf bulk due to the fact he has no thyroid?

Interesting I suppose. The kid DID have cancer after all!

Reactions: jpphawk
You have, what, 6,000 messages in a little over a year, Dan...?

10-20 a day? Please stop...

Teams that have more than one elite PG don't have them in the same class, most often...they season them and prepare them for future starting roles...

Teams that have more than one elite PG don't have them in the same class, most often...they season them and prepare them for future starting roles...
Maybe we should take a vote on whether you should stop posting or Dan should stop posting?

How about it? Loser leaves the board for good. Deal?

Great to see that he's developing into a top prospect - and committed to the Hawkeyes.

Question though - he's 14, going into 8th grade with a spring birthday. Was he held back? He's likely a full year older than many of his grade peers.

It is all equal in AAU because it is age determined and he has done very well.

What I'm betting is you can't name ten teams in College basketball with two elite point guards.

I was curious, and did some quick research and it was difficult to find teams with multiple "elite" point guards. A few examples of teams that did were Kentucky, Villanova and U of Florida. But it seemed like finding TEN teams would be a stretch.

Which is why many people are wondering if Charlie Moore sees the writing on the wall with Conner McCaffery coming in 2017/18. Maybe, maybe not. But I'll say this, ESPN has Jordan Bohannon ranked at 79. About the same place guys like Fleming, Wagner, Williams.......heck even Moss was only an 80.

It would be great to get a commit from Moore. But we might be looking at Christian Williams, maybe Bohannon or somebody else, or a Fleming covers point for twelve minutes a game, then McCaffery arrives. Whatever, that's the way the realistic recruiting works. Not just at Iowa either.

Guys like the rev.....well, just gotta take 'em for what they are. Complainers. Pretty much just a walking insult to the Iowa Hawkeyes that do put the uniform on.

Reactions: BuckRussel
Which is why many people are wondering if Charlie Moore sees the writing on the wall with Conner McCaffery coming in 2017/18. Maybe, maybe not. But I'll say this, ESPN has Jordan Bohannon ranked at 79. About the same place guys like Fleming, Wagner, Williams.......heck even Moss was only an 80.

It would be great to get a commit from Moore. But we might be looking at Christian Williams, maybe Bohannon or somebody else, or a Fleming covers point for twelve minutes a game, then McCaffery arrives. Whatever, that's the way the realistic recruiting works. Not just at Iowa either.

Guys like the rev.....well, just gotta take 'em for what they are. Complainers. Pretty much just a walking insult to the Iowa Hawkeyes that do put the uniform on.

You'll have your answer this week.

Dan, I like to aim high, hope and plan for success, and take critical looks at what might not be working so well...two elite PGs on the team in different classes would be a top 5 program. Now, we have established a history of missing on top level PGs...

You tend to be a Pollyanna Polly Poster...verbose, ultimate source of knowledge and "proper" fan views, all-positive, attacking critical views of coaches and players, defending any player or coach who is looked at in a less than perfect way by other fans.

OK, I got that... That's one way to live and be a fan. It isn't the only way...

Dan, I like to aim high, hope and plan for success, and take critical looks at what might not be working so well...two elite PGs on the team in different classes would be a top 5 program. Now, we have established a history of missing on top level PGs...

You tend to be a Pollyanna Polly Poster...verbose, ultimate source of knowledge and "proper" fan views, all-positive, attacking critical views of coaches and players, defending any player or coach who is looked at in a less than perfect way by other fans.

OK, I got that... That's one way to live and be a fan. It isn't the only way...

Iowa has been improving right through worries such as:

They can't shoot.
They can't defend.
This guys a bust, that guys a bust.
We're stagnate! 8-10, 9-9, 9-9 how long do we give McCaffery
They can't shoot (again)
They collapse!
They can't win close games!

Meanwhile, what you call Pollyanna, or black and gold colored glasses, or koolaid drinker, or whatever term you come up with...has been doing ok saying we're doing alright.

And in fact one can measure our success by the hurdle the doubters place in front of the Hawkeyes. Once, it was get out of the Big Ten's basement. Then it was make the NCAA's. Then it was, "Hey! No fair barely getting in!", Then it was, win a game!" Today it is, aim high and........two elite pg's and a top five program.

And rev I remind, Mr. Hope for success rev just said in this thread, "Or I won't shut up."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT