ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick McCaffery's senior video...

BBHawk

HR Legend
Oct 31, 2001
Iowa City
I just found this - it may have been posted but it is worth a repost for those of us who have not had a chance to see much of him: . I also read that his final stats for this past year that he shot 58.2 percent from the field, 45.3 percent from 3-point range and 76.3 percent from the free throw line. He also lead his team in rebounds at 7.6/game and tied for the team lead in steals. He averaged 25.1 ppg over his career, and broke Glen Worley's career total points scoring record at West High.

Good lord, he better watch his face on some of those dunks. I can't wait to see him play. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: perryhawk
The stats are great, but I was most impressed with the pull up mid-range shots off of the drive. Those are more difficult than a dunk, lay-up, or stand still 3. And he looked very fluid taking those. Hard to defend. Get too close, he blasts by for a lay-up and one. Give him space and protect the rim, and he shoots over. Awesome offensive skills for a tall 3. Let's hope he can defend the 3, as well.

Reactions: BDinIC and TKingpin
The 25.1 was his senior season average, not career.

He had too many other good players around him to put up #s that others with his talent may have over 4 years in a lesser program.
I was just quoting the article in the CR Gazette - https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...9-male-athlete-of-the-year-finalists-20190707 where it states "Leading scorer in West history at 1,550 points (25.1 per game)." I didn't do the math to check that they said - maybe you should respond to their article and point out their inaccuracy.

He has always reminded me of a young Kevin McHale. Not exactly but the similarities are there.
I agree! That was the first thing I thought of when he got a rebound and went right back up with the shot, over his head like McHale used to. In contrast though he appears to be a much better ball handler than McHale ever was.

Reactions: nu2u
The stats are great, but I was most impressed with the pull up mid-range shots off of the drive. Those are more difficult than a dunk, lay-up, or stand still 3. And he looked very fluid taking those. Hard to defend. Get too close, he blasts by for a lay-up and one. Give him space and protect the rim, and he shoots over. Awesome offensive skills for a tall 3. Let's hope he can defend the 3, as well.
Yeah, he is a pretty versatile player...somewhat rare these days.

I agree! That was the first thing I thought of when he got a rebound and went right back up with the shot, over his head like McHale used to. In contrast though he appears to be a much better ball handler than McHale ever was.
McHale was a versatile post player for the Gophers, a tremendous rebounder. Patrick is not at that level of strength yet but he definitely has better shooting range and, as you stated, better ball handling skills. Both players have very sharp elbows ..and McHale had no problem using them !

Reactions: Tunadog and BBHawk
McHale was a versatile post player for the Gophers, a tremendous rebounder. Patrick is not at that level of strength yet but he definitely has better shooting range and, as you stated, better ball handling skills. Both players have very sharp elbows ..and McHale had no problem using them !
I prefer to think of him as a tremendous player for the Celtics. And I prefer not to think about the goofers.

Reactions: BDinIC
The 25.1 was his senior season average, not career.

He had too many other good players around him to put up #s that others with his talent may have over 4 years in a lesser program.

Legend, I am curious what your expectations are for him this season. IMHO, he seems to fit well as a #3 where hopefully his lack of bulk won't be an issue.

Legend, I am curious what your expectations are for him this season. IMHO, he seems to fit well as a #3 where hopefully his lack of bulk won't be an issue.

I think they will need to pick his spots this season defensively. They can either play zone when he is in or put him on guys where his length will be an asset and his current lack of strength won't be a hindrance.

I'm more excited to see him on the offensive end of the floor....Fran has proven that he can showcase the talents of players at that end of the floor and I'm interested to see that aspect of Patrick. I've yet to see him play against high level comp for an extended period of time so not sure exactly what all he can do, but he such a unique skill set and frame it should be fun to watch.

And I have a feeling he and Connor are going to be HATED by opposing fans, so that will be fun. :)

I think they will need to pick his spots this season defensively. They can either play zone when he is in or put him on guys where his length will be an asset and his current lack of strength won't be a hindrance.

I'm more excited to see him on the offensive end of the floor....Fran has proven that he can showcase the talents of players at that end of the floor and I'm interested to see that aspect of Patrick. I've yet to see him play against high level comp for an extended period of time so not sure exactly what all he can do, but he such a unique skill set and frame it should be fun to watch.

And I have a feeling he and Connor are going to be HATED by opposing fans, so that will be fun. :)

Thanks for responding, great points.

I like the zone idea, we should have the ability to go long without sacrificing quickness which seemed to be an issue, at times, last year. Connor, Wieskamp, PMac, Pemsl and Nunge could be an interesting grouping for such a use.

I am also eager to see what happens with guys like Joe T and Evelyn pushing on the break with Wieskamp and PMac on the wings.

Your comment about Connor and Patrick being hated is spot on and frankly, I love it. They both play with some swag. The two of them on the floor with Pemsl should be very entertaining.

I just found this - it may have been posted but it is worth a repost for those of us who have not had a chance to see much of him: . I also read that his final stats for this past year that he shot 58.2 percent from the field, 45.3 percent from 3-point range and 76.3 percent from the free throw line. He also lead his team in rebounds at 7.6/game and tied for the team lead in steals. He averaged 25.1 ppg over his career, and broke Glen Worley's career total points scoring record at West High.
Thanks for posting this. Patrick is certainly athletically growing into his length. He has more potential to play SF than any of the long forwards I’ve seen his dad put there. In scoring and defense he looks much more ready to make an early impact than his brother did.

I think PMac is going to end up being great. We lost some guys this year but I am more pumped about this coming year with all the new guys and seeing what they can do along with nunge and Pemsl also.

Reactions: unclesammy
He still needs to add weight but he has a chance to be a really good player. Well rounded offensive game, and he will only get more athletic as he continues to mature and add muscle.

He needs strength, his release point may need to be adjusted and get quicker, but he’s got good handles especially for his size. I liked his timing on his blocked shots, he had a couple of Aaron White type finishes on ally oops, and he was willing to look for others when they were open.

I have to believe he’ll help us at the three and will see more minutes then many are projecting. His strength may become an issue when he takes the ball into the paint, but he shows a decent mid range game... again if the release point allows him to put it up without it being blocked.

He’ll help us.

I was just quoting the article in the CR Gazette - https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...9-male-athlete-of-the-year-finalists-20190707 where it states "Leading scorer in West history at 1,550 points (25.1 per game)." I didn't do the math to check that they said - maybe you should respond to their article and point out their inaccuracy.

The total points is probably right, but the average isn't, assuming they meant 25.1 for his career. His year by year averages were 4.7, 13.3, 19.9 and 25.1.

Reactions: BBHawk
The video sucks. Hate all the fast forward garbage.
There wasn't that much of it but I agree, that part of it sucks. On the whole, though, I like how Patrick plays and I think it will translate well to what Iowa does under his father.

He needs strength, his release point may need to be adjusted and get quicker, but he’s got good handles especially for his size. I liked his timing on his blocked shots, he had a couple of Aaron White type finishes on ally oops, and he was willing to look for others when they were open.

I have to believe he’ll help us at the three and will see more minutes then many are projecting. His strength may become an issue when he takes the ball into the paint, but he shows a decent mid range game... again if the release point allows him to put it up without it being blocked.

He’ll help us.

John Shurna.

You're an idiot for thinking he actually averaged 25 points a game over his career. For someone who constantly claims to know a lot about bball that's a pretty friggin stupid take.
Nice start. Someone pee in your cheerios?

You should direct your vitriol to the source I quoted:

And for someone just getting back on the board, are you looking to get banned again?

Do we have a true height on Patrick yet? I've seen anything from 6'7" to 6'10". Just wondering how tall he really is?

Reactions: jasonrann
Do we have a true height on Patrick yet? I've seen anything from 6'7" to 6'10". Just wondering how tall he really is?
Somewhere between 6'7" - 6'10", depending on if he is wearing shoes and which shoes;)
Oh, and if he got a hair cut recently.

I was impressed with how well he moved lately in transition when I watched him play. He guarded the most athletic guard on Waterloo West and stayed with him in space. I have a feeling he is goi g to be able to match up with many (not all) SF he faces when he plays there.

This is what impressed me most with the one game (small sample size I know) video in I've seen in the Washington DC vs National (for lack of better term) all star game. He was guarding what appeared to be a very quick opposing man at the 3 spot and never got beat. Stayed with him the entire time and his opponent tried on multiple occasions to blow by him.

Patrick is quick and very good based on the limited exposure I've had to his game. He's going to be really good. I, for one, am not that concerned about his weight as I see him as an outside 3 man. He will get a lot of run with Joe W at the 2 spot. This team will be fun to watch this year.

He's skinny but certainly does not lack the athleticism necessary to excel at the Big Ten level.

P's stroke might look better when he fills out and gets stronger. That low point of release and long wind up are typical of weaker kids. But I don't think foot speed and fast twitch muscle quickness are going to be an issue at the 3.

Unless the kid gets huge he looks like a natural and talented Big Ten small forward/3 spot. Really cannot count on freshmen to take you over the top but a line up with P at the 3 and Joey W at the looks pretty good on paper-so to speak.

Reactions: jasonrann
Any highlight of his AAU play? Preferably when someone was playing defense? I think the closest guy to defending PMac was 4-5" shorter.

Tough to tell on his quickness, as that video was speeding up and slowing down too much. What was the real speed...?

His positives seem to outweigh the negatives for sure. Decent quickness for his size, assuming tough to tell from this video, but at least he was beating his shorter defenders a lot... Moves with the ball well. Looks to be a good shooter in and around the basket. Handles the ball good with either side. Looks to be a good passers.

Three things I hope he fixes Very soon, if he is going to play this year. That 3pt shot. Way to low of a release, as previously mentioned. And he pushes it forward, in front of his body, instead of taking it up.
Next the obvious weight issue. That'll really help his game. Even just 20lbs would be huge. 35lbs would great. Get him up to 220 would be ideal!
Lastly, make sure he never, Ever flexes after a play. Sorry, but that is embarrassing....

Any highlight of his AAU play? Preferably when someone was playing defense? I think the closest guy to defending PMac was 4-5" shorter.

Tough to tell on his quickness, as that video was speeding up and slowing down too much. What was the real speed...?

His positives seem to outweigh the negatives for sure. Decent quickness for his size, assuming tough to tell from this video, but at least he was beating his shorter defenders a lot... Moves with the ball well. Looks to be a good shooter in and around the basket. Handles the ball good with either side. Looks to be a good passers.

Three things I hope he fixes Very soon, if he is going to play this year. That 3pt shot. Way to low of a release, as previously mentioned. And he pushes it forward, in front of his body, instead of taking it up.
Next the obvious weight issue. That'll really help his game. Even just 20lbs would be huge. 35lbs would great. Get him up to 220 would be ideal!
Lastly, make sure he never, Ever flexes after a play. Sorry, but that is embarrassing....

tenor.gif

I seriously doubt PMac will change his shot at this point

Hey, his brother's stroke makes P McC look like Jerry West so there's always that.

I think P is going to be pretty good. Every recruiting service has him between like 63 and 83. Unlikely that all of the major recruiting services are wrong. Probably not good enough to start this season but stardom potential by the second half of his sophomore season.

Very impressive tape. With a few added pounds, and time in the weight room the ceiling is very high.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT