ADVERTISEMENT

Patty Fitz- Smoke and mirrors coach of the year, again???

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Is he and jNW going to have another one of those years where they play ugly football but make the opponents look uglier and has a great, overachieving record? He gets a big win with a little help from Frosty.

It looks like he has a big upgrade at QB. They ran the ball down Nebby's throat at 4.6 ypc. No turnovers, no mistakes that I saw or heard of (even though I only watched about half the game).

I wouldn't say jNW's defense was one of his best giving up quite a bit of yards.

But I hope it means Nebby is just bad giving up a high completion percentage and lots of yards and giving up a lot of run yards.

It is always fun to watch these games and scout them against what you think the hawks can bring against these teams.

I was happy to see that Nebby got a lot of passing yards against jNW as it is usually the hawk passing game that falters against jNW.

last year he had the shittiest qb in the b1g, horrific offense, and a clueless defense. ie a joke of a team.
this year the very same guys (i don’t think they have many transfers) including the same klutz qb have transformed into this. hilinski was nails.

very impressive and im now very hopeful and certainly curious about our situation as well

They’ll be extremely dangerous. This is what a good Northwestern team looks like. They’ve been recruiting extremely well the last 5 years, this is a talented team.
Yes, I was a little surprised that they gave up that many passing yards to Nebby but I know they have a new DCoord and maybe some new scheming in pass defense

They’ll be extremely dangerous. This is what a good Northwestern team looks like. They’ve been recruiting extremely well the last 5 years, this is a talented team.
Really? The last five years? What the hell happened last year when they looked like dog shit most of the year? I've always thought Fitz was a solid coach, but if he's recruiting well they shouldn't be going from first to last like they have several times. I can only imagine the shit KF would get here if we were 10-2 one year and 3-9 the next, several times. Either he's not the coach we all think, OR he's got some big holes in his recruiting.....

Really? The last five years? What the hell happened last year when they looked like dog shit most of the year? I've always thought Fitz was a solid coach, but if he's recruiting well they shouldn't be going from first to last like they have several times. I can only imagine the shit KF would get here if we were 10-2 one year and 3-9 the next, several times. Either he's not the coach we all think, OR he's got some big holes in his recruiting.....
Yes they have not been recruiting at a "great" level. Better for them, but they just aren't going to line up and have overwhelming talent against anyone. 3-9 in 2 of the last 3 years. I would not be surprised if they win 6 or 7 games this year, and I suppose anything is possible with them winning the West. But it would take even more of a threading the needle than usual for them to win the West. Their crossovers are at Penn State, at Maryland and OSU. Plus they play at Iowa, at Purdue, at Minnesota.

It looks like they have competent QB play, at least for one game. If that is the case, they will be pesky. They are well coached and their team will compete and play hard for 4 quarters. That will keep you in a lot of games.

Yes they have not been recruiting at a "great" level. Better for them, but they just aren't going to line up and have overwhelming talent against anyone. 3-9 in 2 of the last 3 years. I would not be surprised if they win 6 or 7 games this year, and I suppose anything is possible with them winning the West. But it would take even more of a threading the needle than usual for them to win the West. Their crossovers are at Penn State, at Maryland and OSU. Plus they play at Iowa, at Purdue, at Minnesota.

It looks like they have competent QB play, at least for one game. If that is the case, they will be pesky. They are well coached and their team will compete and play hard for 4 quarters. That will keep you in a lot of games.
I'm in no way saying they won't be "pesky", just that saying they've been recruiting well FOR FIVE years is a hell of a stretch to put it mildly.....Several guys who made plays today were transfers this year..

Yes, I was a little surprised that they gave up that many passing yards to Nebby but I know they have a new DCoord and maybe some new scheming in pass defense
I was impressed with the pssing game design of both teams and the QB accuracy. Well not so much for NE in the second half on the accuracy.

No turnovers, no mistakes that I saw or heard of (even though I only watched about half the game).
They had a fumble at midfield that resulted in Nebraska going up 11. Granted the genius board running Nebraska special teams then decided to try the onside kick and totally redeem themselves so in the end it didn't negatively impact Northwestern.

Is he and jNW going to have another one of those years where they play ugly football but make the opponents look uglier and has a great, overachieving record? He gets a big win with a little help from Frosty.

It looks like he has a big upgrade at QB. They ran the ball down Nebby's throat at 4.6 ypc. No turnovers, no mistakes that I saw or heard of (even though I only watched about half the game).

I wouldn't say jNW's defense was one of his best giving up quite a bit of yards.

But I hope it means Nebby is just bad giving up a high completion percentage and lots of yards and giving up a lot of run yards.

It is always fun to watch these games and scout them against what you think the hawks can bring against these teams.

I was happy to see that Nebby got a lot of passing yards against jNW as it is usually the hawk passing game that falters against jNW.
That QB was there last year.

NU actually hasn’t recruited particularly well the last five years. After it built the spectacular new practice facility, it started shooting for the moon in recruiting and trying to land more highly rated players. It ended up finishing second or third for a bunch of them and, in the meantime, lost a lot of the more mid-range recruits they had been getting before. That led to some late reaches. Fortunately for NU, one of those reaches was Evan Hull, a very late offer. Other late offers did not turn out so well.

My perception (perhaps wrong) is that NU instead focused its 2023 efforts on the high three stars and low four stars and has had good success. The currently committed group is pretty strong.

NU actually hasn’t recruited particularly well the last five years. After it built the spectacular new practice facility, it started shooting for the moon in recruiting and trying to land more highly rated players. It ended up finishing second or third for a bunch of them and, in the meantime, lost a lot of the more mid-range recruits they had been getting before. That led to some late reaches. Fortunately for NU, one of those reaches was Evan Hull, a very late offer. Other late offers did not turn out so well.

My perception (perhaps wrong) is that NU instead focused its 2023 efforts on the high three stars and low four stars and has had good success. The currently committed group is pretty strong.
I’m not saying their recruiting was spectacular. But their recruiting level and talent level has risen. It used to be that a top 60 class was notable for them, now they’re regularly top 50, and in 2023 they’ll likely be top 30. They’ve added nicely with transfers too.

They’ve been developing at a higher level too, with several high round draft picks. Not saying they’re overwhelming with talent. But its not exactly embarrassing when they are competitive with you in the B1G.

It is the oline. Looked really good all day. Hull is a brick house with good speed, agility, and receiving ability. Defense settled in. Nebraska offense will score some points on many opponents this year.

Schiano isn't getting fired by Rutgers. In his second stint, he's already shown he's probably as good as their going to do coaching wise. Fitz would be closer to KF. He'll be there until he decides to leave. I'd probably put Locksley 2nd. They'll never reach their potential until they hire a real head coach. I assume the guy at #14 would be Day at OSU....

Reactions: Franisdaman
KF Iowa is 2-4 over last 6 years and 7-8 over 15 years vs Fitz. Based on KF history with Fitz, it will be a toss up game.

Iowa is 52-28-3 vs NW all time so KF record vs Fitz is below historical expectations. Give Fitz credit for elevating NW and/or give KF the blame for letting Fitz somewhat own him.

The one thing Fitz does well is he doesn't just annoint a QB and stick with a mediocre QB without at least trying to find someone better.

KF Iowa is 2-4 over last 6 years and 7-8 over 15 years vs Fitz. Based on KF history with Fitz, it will be a toss up game.

Iowa is 52-28-3 vs NW all time so KF record vs Fitz is below historical expectations. Give Fitz credit for elevating NW and/or give KF the blame for letting Fitz somewhat own him.

The one thing Fitz does well is he doesn't just annoint a QB and stick with a mediocre QB without at least trying to find someone better.
All well and good, but KF hasn't been dropping 3-9 seasons on us 2 of the last four years either, so I don't think we need to be annointing Fitz as some kind of genius either.....

ADVERTISEMENT