ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Boettiger recruiting tribute

SuperSK

HB MVP
Oct 29, 2001
One week to go until ink dries on this year's 2022 class. Tonight I'm remembering one of the first if not the best recruiting guru I ever met.....Paul Boettger who started. Wrote and edited the original HRN (Hawkeyes Recruiting Notebook) Gold pages with black print was always a treat to get from our mailboxes. Had many lunches and a few beers with this wonderful man. Nobody bled Black and Gold like Paul. He died way too young but his stamp will be forever on Hawkeyes Nation. If he were alive today I would probably ask him on the phone what he thought X would do tomorrow. He then would ask me....what do you think happens ? I would retort....He's a Hawk. Somewhere, right now tonight, in Hawk Heaven, Paul has a big smile. RIP. Paul. 😎❤️🏈

One week to go until ink dries on this year's 2022 class. Tonight I'm remembering one of the first if not the best recruiting guru I ever met.....Paul Boettger who started. Wrote and edited the original HRN (Hawkeyes Recruiting Notebook) Gold pages with black print was always a treat to get from our mailboxes. Had many lunches and a few beers with this wonderful man. Nobody bled Black and Gold like Paul. He died way too young but his stamp will be forever on Hawkeyes Nation. If he were alive today I would probably ask him on the phone what he thought X would do tomorrow. He then would ask me....what do you think happens ? I would retort....He's a Hawk. Somewhere, right now tonight, in Hawk Heaven, Paul has a big smile. RIP. Paul. 😎❤️🏈
I remember getting a copied version of his newsletter.
He had some good contacts.

I got that newsletter once. How old was he and what happened?
Good Guy
It was fun talking to him on the phone. Really filled me in on Tom Davis. I remember him sending his stuff out over the computer. Someone who actually had one at the time would print it off and and we'd pass it around to our fellow Hawk fans. Good times. R.I.P. Paul.

Boetcher

Those gold letters were gold to me. Talked to Paul several times on the phone and he was so nice...great guy. RIP.

Yup, several phone calls with Paul every year and his publication was pure gold. Loved his coined term of “ tier 2 recruits”

Reactions: haightt
I talked to him several times on the phone and met with him once. He was a great guy, a great Hawk,
and produced an outstanding publication that must have taken an unreal amount of time and effort.

1. His mailers were so jam-packed with recruiting dope that the envelopes were almost always partially torn when they arrived.

2. I remember one time he positioned himself at a specific spot outside Kinnick so his subscribers could enjoy a "meet and greet" with him before the game.

3. If a nicer person than Paul exists, I'd love to meet him.

4. His wife had to be an absolute saint to tolerate the hundreds, maybe thousands of hours he fielded phone calls from his admiring fan base.

Covering Iowa recruiting was a labor of love for him and nobody has ever done it better, all due respect to the fantastic product Tom and Blair put out, when you consider the limited resources available to him in the pre-Internet days of the 1980s.

The man is a legend.

1. His mailers were so jam-packed with recruiting dope that the envelopes were almost always partially torn when they arrived.

2. I remember one time he positioned himself at a specific spot outside Kinnick so his subscribers could enjoy a "meet and greet" with him before the game.

3. If a nicer person than Paul exists, I'd love to meet him.

4. His wife had to be an absolute saint to tolerate the hundreds, maybe thousands of hours he fielded phone calls from his admiring fan base.

Covering Iowa recruiting was a labor of love for him and nobody has ever done it better, all due respect to the fantastic product Tom and Blair put out, when you consider the limited resources available to him in the pre-Internet days of the 1980s.

The man is a legend.
Agree with all of above. I was always thrilled to get that gold envelope in the mail.
Never met him in person and phone relay services didn’t exist in those days but always appreciated his efforts.

Reactions: kcgolfer
Was Paul the infamous "shadow" that the old list serve/message board would communicate? I seem to remember that nickname or something to the effect circa 1999. The Shadow says "wind coming in from the East" meant that a recruit from the East Coast was coming. I remember getting the hard copy Voice of the Hawkeyes in the 90s and really enjoying that read!

Was Paul the infamous "shadow" that the old list serve/message board would communicate? I seem to remember that nickname or something to the effect circa 1999. The Shadow says "wind coming in from the East" meant that a recruit from the East Coast was coming. I remember getting the hard copy Voice of the Hawkeyes in the 90s and really enjoying that read!
I don’t know who” Shadow” Was but doubt it was Paul. Not his way of doing things

I don’t know who” Shadow” Was but doubt it was Paul. Not his way of doing things
Back in those pre-internet days, those of us who lived out of state subscribed to Hawkeye Recruiting Notebook and Voice of The Hawkeyes for recruiting news. It always made my day when I got home from work, checked the mailbox and there would be an envelope from HRN, stuffed to bulging.

I just called him once, it sounded like he may have been eating so I kept it short but a really nice guy. As a poster above noted his wife must be a saint. When I go to my Hawkeye reward I want to seat next to Paul for football games. It will probably be a crowded section.

Reactions: CloydWebb
Agree with all the above - "Go ahead and call; it's your nickel"; 2-Tier recruiting for FL kids; etc. Kept the newsletters in a binder throughout the season and compared his info to the recruiting mags. Special times; RIP indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT