ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Chryst/Wisconsin

I feel like Wisconsin is on a slow downward trajectory. The OL play just hasn’t been the same the last few years, they were never great at QB, but they were always smart. The talent at WR is below average.

The bones of the defense will always be very good as long as Leonhard is there, but they’ve lost so many guys to the NFL the last few years and I think it’s caught up to them this season.

First year with a new OC, so I’m sure there are some growing pains, but this is the third year in a row now where they just look…different.

Discuss. Or not, that’s fine too.
Why would you want to discuss Wisconsin when have ultimate in offensive debacles. Just when finishing 123 in Total Offense last year wasn’t bad enough all you had to do was wait a year.

Barry Alvarez was 5 games over .500 in the Big Ten over 16 seasons
He was a good coach but an even better AD. Although Bielema, Andersen and Chryst got the car keys, the common denominator was that they all did it King Barry’s way. Bielema and Andersen more or less left because of the relative lack of autonomy.

Now that Chryst has a new boss, we’ll really see what he’s made of over the next couple seasons. If anything, while Wisky looks more vulnerable lately, the B1G West also looks weaker than ever so it would be a giant shock if the Badgers are out of the division race before the final play is called in the regular season.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Wisconsin just had an incredible run at running back, and always seemed to have legit OL strength and/or depth when they didn't. They also had a mini-run of really good WRs like Quintez Cephus too. A part of this was just never going to last because it was inevitable to have a drop in talent level at those positions eventually.

The real answer is they're struggling with some of the same things we are, with guys leaving early for the NFL draft more regularly, along with NIL and transfers. One really big problem we both have is you really can't afford to be developmental at skill positions anymore - they'll leave for a better program for their skill ala Charlie Jones, or get paid via NIL or the NFL draft before you get what you need out of them.

Programs that don't get with the times in their schemes offensively are just going to get left behind now, the niche in the ecosystem that we occupied is gone now. One new rule is that teams that run primarily zone blocking can't cut block defenders that don't face them now or they'll be penalized. A few years back they removed the ability for teams to cut block outside the tackles too.

Bottom line - the rules are now such that it just doesn't make any sense to keep doing what we are doing any longer - there is no upside either from an NFL developmental pipeline for doing this, and no upside from the scheme providing big plays on a regular-enough basis either.

I feel like Wisconsin is on a slow downward trajectory. The OL play just hasn’t been the same the last few years, they were never great at QB, but they were always smart. The talent at WR is below average.

The bones of the defense will always be very good as long as Leonhard is there, but they’ve lost so many guys to the NFL the last few years and I think it’s caught up to them this season.

First year with a new OC, so I’m sure there are some growing pains, but this is the third year in a row now where they just look…different.

They started last year 1-3 including a beatdown loss to the eventual B1G East champion. Then rebounded to have the division in their hands going into the last week. Despite their loss to Minnesota in the season finale they still had the best division record in the West. So I won't write them off just yet.

The Ohio State beating is certainly going to get some reaction but the Buckeyes are going to beat a lot of teams like that this season.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Wisconsin's trajectory.

Damn good -----------------------------------------------------------------------------> Good enough to beat the Hawks
Wisconsin has won 10 or more games 4x under Chryst and is 6-1 in Bowl games. Not bad.
Wisconsin's trajectory.

Damn good -----------------------------------------------------------------------------> Good enough to beat the Hawks

wisky does look to have fallen off some. Of late they are also struggling with a not particularly good qb who hasn't been able to meet their usual game manager qb standards. O-line also appears to be down for them this year.
The comment above I found the most interesting is regarding the illini and the opportunity they have. Beating Iowa wouldn't be all that impressive this year given where the Hawks are at, but it would still be a significant win for them. What would mean even more is if they could take out wisky. The only game on their schedule that seems unwinnable is against um. I'm not saying they've arrived. Far from it. But if Bret wants to make a statement that illini football is back from the dead, he's got the opportunities in front of him this year.
Check Iowa 2010-2014 vs today. Same HC here.

Talking about as AD over seeing the football program.
That man, Barry Alvarez. had been part of 6, yes 6, Rose Bowl teams at Wisconsin. Carry on though looking like a dumb ass. Mic 🎤 drop.

Last edited:
The truth of the matter is WI will be jumbled in the middle part of whatever the new B1G looks like, fighting for table scraps with Iowa, MN, Purdue, MSU, etc. The good news is the middling teams won't leave any scraps for Nebraska.

The truth of the matter is WI will be jumbled in the middle part of whatever the new B1G looks like, fighting for table scraps with Iowa, MN, Purdue, MSU, etc. The good news is the middling teams won't leave any scraps for Nebraska.
Nebraska is one decent hire away from being right back to the table with Iowa and the ilk. They have an AD who has not made any previous hires there so to assume he'll screw it up as bad as his predecessors might be foolish to think.

Wisconsin just had an incredible run at running back, and always seemed to have legit OL strength and/or depth when they didn't. They also had a mini-run of really good WRs like Quintez Cephus too. A part of this was just never going to last because it was inevitable to have a drop in talent level at those positions eventually.

The real answer is they're struggling with some of the same things we are, with guys leaving early for the NFL draft more regularly, along with NIL and transfers. One really big problem we both have is you really can't afford to be developmental at skill positions anymore - they'll leave for a better program for their skill ala Charlie Jones, or get paid via NIL or the NFL draft before you get what you need out of them.

Programs that don't get with the times in their schemes offensively are just going to get left behind now, the niche in the ecosystem that we occupied is gone now. One new rule is that teams that run primarily zone blocking can't cut block defenders that don't face them now or they'll be penalized. A few years back they removed the ability for teams to cut block outside the tackles too.

Bottom line - the rules are now such that it just doesn't make any sense to keep doing what we are doing any longer - there is no upside either from an NFL developmental pipeline for doing this, and no upside from the scheme providing big plays on a regular-enough basis either.
Probably correct. KF spends time when given it to complain about the blocking rules as you pointed out. I get what he is saying, in that the defense can just run to the ball without worry of being blocked/chopped. But at some point, it becomes obvious that a lot of the coaches don't agree with you and like the rules the way they are. So either coach to the way the rules are being enforced or move on. The o-line is also given a lot more leeway now on being downfield when the pass is thrown. This makes it very hard to defend the RPO stuff.

Agree that you can't really count on development at skill position players. Good wideouts and backs want to get on the field right away, and want to touch the ball. I like what Iowa has been doing with QB recruiting, with the recent players/commits at QB all being able to run (Labas, Laniez, Reisner, the 2024 commit). You just can't have QB's anymore who are zero threat to move. But man, that change-over is years in the making.

Probably correct. KF spends time when given it to complain about the blocking rules as you pointed out. I get what he is saying, in that the defense can just run to the ball without worry of being blocked/chopped. But at some point, it becomes obvious that a lot of the coaches don't agree with you and like the rules the way they are. So either coach to the way the rules are being enforced or move on. The o-line is also given a lot more leeway now on being downfield when the pass is thrown. This makes it very hard to defend the RPO stuff.

Agree that you can't really count on development at skill position players. Good wideouts and backs want to get on the field right away, and want to touch the ball. I like what Iowa has been doing with QB recruiting, with the recent players/commits at QB all being able to run (Labas, Laniez, Reisner, the 2024 commit). You just can't have QB's anymore who are zero threat to move. But man, that change-over is years in the making.
You can debate all day long on what the coaches think or not, who they agree with or not, but at the end of the day Iowa's skill position spots and OL have been failing big-time in recent years. I think we'd agree on that.

As for the QBs, you can only play one per game and at a time. In today's college football world, the QBs not playing or not #1 are bolting to the portal. So all that matters is your #1 guy better be good enough to lead your team.

Sure. Because it’s only Iowa State fans who think it. Excellent point, as usual, Captain Dipshit. 🙄
I only see it from the folks who are negative 100% of the time. The fire Kirk guys like you.

If they beat Michigan on Saturday, what is your negative story gonna be then?

I only see it from the folks who are negative 100% of the time. The fire Kirk guys like you.

If they beat Michigan on Saturday, what is your negative story gonna be then?
I have never once said Kirk Ferentz should be fired at this point in his career, for one.

Second, I…. You know what, never mind. You’re an idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: blhawk and HawkOn15
That man, Barry Alvarez. had been part of 6, yes 6, Rose Bowl teams at Wisconsin. Carry on though looking like a dumb ass. Mic 🎤 drop.
Exactly with Barry being completely gone the Wisconsin program is not the dominate program as it was with him as HC and now as the AD over seeing the program. Last few years other teams like Iowa and NW 2x taking the West from them. They aren't clear cut top of the West division and been so since 18' season. Have one 1 division crown in past 4 years and looking like it could be a 5th. Maybe didn't phrase it the best but with Barry leaving the Wisconsin athletic dept. the Badgers looks like they could be gradually slipping back to the rest of the pack within the West.

At least they got a new OC.

Exactly with Barry being completely gone the Wisconsin program is not the dominate program as it was with him as HC and now as the AD over seeing the program. Last few years other teams like Iowa and NW 2x taking the West from them. They aren't clear cut top of the West division and been so since 18' season. Have one 1 division crown in past 4 years and looking like it could be a 5th. Maybe didn't phrase it the best but with Barry leaving the Wisconsin athletic dept. the Badgers looks like they could be gradually slipping back to the rest of the pack within the West.

Barry spent 99% of his time as AD in Florida😂. They also won the Big 10 hoops title last year and a women’s volleyball national title with Chris McIntosh as AD. They’ll be fine in Madison without Barry

There could be a far stronger case iowa had slipped than has Wisconsin. Your envy/jealousy is showing through.

Guys...I'd be careful about predicting the demise of Wisky. They have the best RB in the country and size...they usually get better.

Iowa needs to get it's DL healthy. I'm concerned about size upfront right now. VanNess is an undersized DT...and so it Shannon really...and so is Graves who got alot of minutes. We are going to need some size against Minnesota and Wisconsin to counteract their size. We are deep, but we need Pittman to get more minutes over the next few games...he hasn't looked too bad in my opinion. We can't allow Van Ness and Logan Lee to get gassed. It would be great to have Van Ness on the edge too.
You lost me at 'VanNess is an undersized...'

JK!!

There could be a far stronger case iowa had slipped than has Wisconsin. Your envy/jealousy is showing through.
Iowa has nothing to do with the Badgers play past few years minus 1 win if they are slipping or not more or less. It's irrelevant. But since you bring it up Iowa has been pretty steady with 9, 10, 10 wins non covid years and 2nd best in that season for the West. In fact in that time frame I alluded to since 18' both have had pretty similar records with 1 division title a piece against NW's 2. I think Wisc. has a better shot at the West with a more competent offense and Allen at RB over iowa this year but not the favorite which right now has to be MN. Look at the past 2 1/2 seasons. Wisconsin is not as dominate as they once were against the West be it others have improved and gap has closed as the West is up for grabs among many teams not named NW or NU this year. As for jealousy doesn't change my opinions posted but I think most Iowa fans feel that way since 10' and the fake punt game and how the head to head and over all seasons have played out unlike most of the 00s where Iowa got the better of them and that use to be us.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
Barry Alvarez was 5 games over .500 in the Big Ten over 16 seasons
Surprising. Winning in the Rose Bowls on the big stage something Fry and Ferenz have not done cemented his legacy. 5 wins over 500, Barry Alvarez is overrated as he was good at promoting his legacy

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT