ADVERTISEMENT

Paying back sign on bonuses?

You should know better Finance. You do know better.

If they want the money back they will get it back. He doesn't owe them anything.

Sounds like they have a shitty culture and are using this so called incentive to trap people instead of improving their culture.
Sorry, I believe in honoring my agreement. If they've done something to breach the agreement, or materially misrepresented themselves, that might make a difference.

As I said, someone with 30 years experience should know what to look for and how to make a better deal.

Zing.....ouch
Deez Nuts GIF

Three things I tell my boys:

1. Try to be kind to everyone. No one will ever be upset about it and people will remember it.
2. Get educated. They can take your job, your house, your money, and lock you away but they can't take away your education. It will get you out of most jams.
3. Your word is all you can really offer to anyone. Much like education, it's yours and can't be taken away. When you have nothing, it's the only thing you can offer.

Pay the damn signing bonus. Look them in the eye and tell them why your leaving. Shake hands and walk out or give your notice depending on the circumstance.

So after a little back and forth negotiating with a former employer over the weekend I decided to take a work from home role with them and leave my current job which I started three months ago.

Had a sign on bonus with the usual verbiage of paying back if they termed me with cause or I quit within the first year.

Now, I've been thoroughly unimpressed with this place (big part of why I'm leaving) and honestly have no intentions of paying this bonus back.

If it comes down to I may actually quit without notice at the end of the next payroll just so they don't try to deduct the bonus from my last check.

This would be the only place in my career that I'm more than likely going to end up leaving on bad terms with over this bonus, and since it was only 3 months I'll never include it on my resume nor will I ever consider going back.

Anyone here fight with a company over this upon your exit? What should I expect when I give them the notice?
Sounds like you are going to do something Trump would do. Amright?

Reactions: QChawks
It was only 5k - I'm hoping it would cost more in any legal action to fight with me over it than what it was worth.

Honestly the company is in a major upheaval at the moment and it's a freaking disaster to work at, so I may very well fight them that the job is in no way shape or form what I signed on for.
Pay your debts.

Reactions: praguehawk
Thank you all good and honorable citizens of HROT - maybe you aren't all low life sexual degenerates after all.

In a effort to distance myself from anything resembling something Trump would do, I will resign and let the chips fall where they may with the sign on bonus payback

Sorry the thread didn't go the way you'd hoped. Child

Good one....I deal with/hire/fire/counsel/babysit/coach "poors" everyday....I've seen more integrity in a lot of these 'poors' than numerous managers/vp's/owners.

GFY

Good one ... So you have dealt with people with a lot of integrity, you just don't have any yourself. Pay back the money that you agreed to pay back when you took it.

Reactions: Finance85
This really has nothing to do with the company, it has everything to do with you. You will know that you stiffed someone. I can’t live with myself if I do that, but that’s just me. It’s about doing the right thing, even if no one is looking. Give them back the money and have a clear conscience. That’s worth more than $5k.

me thinks this thread didn't go quite how OP expected, it seems they were expecting the "stick it to the man" approach here and over-estimated the HORT crowd.

Seriously OP, you knew the correct answer before creating this thread,.. Follow up on your commitment.

There are unethical losers on HORT? I am shocked. Shocked I tell you. Rip Rodney Dangerfield.

This has been an interesting thread in which I was able to agree with @Finance85 and @Jan Itor and I think @Speedway1 along with @Urohawk and @Formerly Rockymtnole Ethics across the spectrum of political interests is awesome to see and something that gives me hope!
Unifying America one thread at a time.

By the way, I didn't ask anyone in the OP if I should or shouldn't do it - I asked if anyone had fought with a company over it before - not one person spoke to that, which tells me HROTers truly are all super wealthy captains of industry who never deal with such trivial matters.

Like it or not, I lean towards simply paying if asked - I'm miffed that the job was waaaaaay more of a shit show (with massive turnover) than originally stated and I've seen enough to not feel too bad for walking away. I've also seen multiple instances of just blowing money left and right so I feel I'm throwing good money after bad, but so be it.

Bottom line the work from home role is too good to pass up and certainly worth paying this if demanded.

Reactions: cfbfan23
30 years of rising thru the corporate ranks has made me cynical. As I said, this place is a disaster and not at all what I signed on for - I am very much an old school do what you say, say what you do guy - but this place has really challenged my perception of that for this instance.
They were giving a bonus for a reason with the stipulation. You knew you were likely going into a tough environment. The bonus was for achieving the 1 year anniversary paid early. You didn't make it. Thats not to say you are correct there are better things out there and this company is likely crap - but you didn't earn the money. If you want to try and steal it and make it difficult to get back you can. However small claims court, where this will go to they can get this through fairly easily. Then you can have a garnishment or a lien on your property. If you want to take that risk go ahead. Its not something I would do over $5000. If you are happier without the job that should be all that matters. Now if you do want to keep some of it, go talk with your manager, discuss the situation and see if they will let you keep some or half of it. They may acknowledge things have been shit and work with you. Work with them on a date to leave and you will likely be better off for it.

I’m all for living up to obligations and honoring contracts. Sometimes it can work in your favor and sometimes it doesn’t. When I left my job in April, I timed it for April because that worked out for me within the parameters of the company’s comp model. I worked my a$$ off for them for years, but especially in 2021, so I was not going to quit before annual bonus payout. Additionally, I had some vesting incentive company shares that I stayed for….then I picked my start date to be April 1 - a Friday and it gave me benefits through April.

The company would never have tried to claw any of that back - I had excellent performance ratings my entire time with the company and everything I did was specifically by the employee handbook. My boss (a new boss and 95% of the reason I quit) asked me if I’d consider giving the bonus back and I told her I would not. She and her bosses gave it to me based on my performance in 2021 and I stayed well past the required date (I quit 2 months after I even received the bonus). It just reinforced my opinion to leave.

But long story short - follow the letter of any contract or employee handbook and leave with grace. I’m not a believer in seeking out bad karma and you never know who you’re going to cross paths with down the road.

Reactions: Finance85
ADVERTISEMENT