ADVERTISEMENT

Paying back sign on bonuses?

If the place is as bad as you say, expect them to go after you legally via a wage garnishment, in effort to let others know what is in store for them if they quit with a sign-on bonus still in play. Could screw up your credit rating and end up costing you more if they tack on any other filing costs, court costs, interest, etc.

If you hate the company as much as you say, $5000 would be a small price to pay to walk away with no worries.
Hate is a strong word, I would not say I hate it, hell I don't even mind coming into work in the morning even though I know there's 10 underlying problems that aren't going to allow me to resolve what I should be able to resolve in my position.

Hell, they like me a whole lot too - I wouldn't be surprised if they try to retain me.

This is one of those cute and bubbly on the outside, glossing over real issues on the inside situations with this particular company.

Aaaaaaaaand, as I said, they are in a constant state of flux as they buy and sell a lot of properties and competitors.

It was only 5k - I'm hoping it would cost more in any legal action to fight with me over it than what it was worth.

Honestly the company is in a major upheaval at the moment and it's a freaking disaster to work at, so I may very well fight them that the job is in no way shape or form what I signed on for.
As was previously stated, they can sell it to a collector for nickles on the dollar and you have to deal with that. It can impact your credit score. I'd think long and hard about fighting them over it.

Reactions: stillh8unlv
I've never been in a situation of a sign on bonus, but I always figured they were paid at the end of stated period.

I learn something every day.

I think I'm most cases, employers don't want to hassle with this so they sell it off to a collections company. The collections company will hound you and if you don't pay them, it will go on your credit report. Better off working with your companies hr/payroll to see if you can reach some sort of settled payback amount and plan and being done with it vs. having it drag on thru a collections company

Quit and don't worry about it. If they want the money back they will let you know when you quit. It may be worth it at that point for you to pay it back.

Don't hold yourself to some moral code that the company doesn't follow. People get way to caught up in that bullshit bit I promise you corporate does not have a moral code that will honor and look out for you really anywhere.
“That bullshit” being a contract you freely entered into? 🙄

Quit and don't worry about it. If they want the money back they will let you know when you quit. It may be worth it at that point for you to pay it back.

Don't hold yourself to some moral code that the company doesn't follow. People get way to caught up in that bullshit bit I promise you corporate does not have a moral code that will honor and look out for you really anywhere.
Those are some shitty ethics and morals. A person shouldn't hold themselves to others ethics, but instead to what they would feel proud and acceptable.

I've never been in a situation of a sign on bonus, but I always figured they were paid at the end of stated period.

I learn something every day.
They can go either way. “Usually” for exempt employees, a sign-on bonus is paid up front. For hard to find hourly employees (CDL drivers for example), the bonus is usually paid in quarterly installments over a designated period such as a year, as the employee could easily leave if another driving job down the street is offering more $ per hour. The non-exempt hourly employee is usually not required to pay back what they’ve been paid, I believe, if paid in installments.

Reactions: MitchLL
30 years of rising thru the corporate ranks has made me cynical. As I said, this place is a disaster and not at all what I signed on for - I am very much an old school do what you say, say what you do guy - but this place has really challenged my perception of that for this instance.
No, it's exactly what YOU signed on for. Live up to your end of the deal. If you've been in the corporate world for 30 years, you should know how to do due diligence. Ever hear of Glass Door?

Not a big deal for the employer to attempt to claw it back. That's a small claims court situation. No need for lawyers or anything.

Those are some shitty ethics and morals. A person shouldn't hold themselves to others ethics, but instead to what they would feel proud and acceptable.
Bullshit. The company doesn't have ethics and morals. It is just a company. They needed to offer sign on bonuses and have a blackout clause to get people to work there.

If they ask for the money back he should give it back because it likely will end badly for him. If they don't ask for it back then he should keep it and move on with his life.

Screw your version of morality when it comes to corporate policy. I guarantee they didn't offer those incentives to be nice and would send him on his happy way in a second for ridiculous reasons. He owes them nothing

For all these "honor your word" responses - you have no idea the shit show that is currently occuring around here. They lose people almost daily.
To me that is in the same vein.

Should they not honor their word on the stability of the company, the work culture, etc, etc? Beyond the solid benefits there hasn't been one thing in my tenure that has occurred as expected and sold to me.

I, for one, will support people over corporations 99% of the time.

I find it hilarious how so many people freak out about rampant retail theft, or home invasion robbery. This theft in the United States account for a couple hundred million dollars. Wage theft, however, is estimated in tens of billions of dollars each year.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
No, it's exactly what YOU signed on for. Live up to your end of the deal. If you've been in the corporate world for 30 years, you should know how to do due diligence. Ever hear of Glass Door?
You should know better Finance. You do know better.

If they want the money back they will get it back. He doesn't owe them anything.

Sounds like they have a shitty culture and are using this so called incentive to trap people instead of improving their culture.

I, for one, will support people over corporations 99% of the time.

I find it hilarious how so many people freak out about rampant retail theft, or home invasion robbery. This theft in the United States account for a couple hundred million dollars. Wage theft, however, is estimated in tens of billions of dollars each year.
Exactly right

5k is less than a manager spent on his desk at one of the companies I worked with a while back.

Reactions: ping72
30 years of rising thru the corporate ranks has made me cynical. As I said, this place is a disaster and not at all what I signed on for - I am very much an old school do what you say, say what you do guy - but this place has really challenged my perception of that for this instance.
I’m nothing but man you’ve had 30 years of experience. Sometimes a company will do anything to get back a $1 even if it costs them $10. It might not be a company priority but maybe someone you pissoff on the way out just has to get you for a win. I’d just offer the $3750 with a massive paper trail on that thing and some acknowledgments from multiple people and be done with the shit show.

Reactions: stillh8unlv
Bullshit. The company doesn't have ethics and morals. It is just a company. They needed to offer sign on bonuses and have a blackout clause to get people to work there.

If they ask for the money back he should give it back because it likely will end badly for him. If they don't ask for it back then he should keep it and move on with his life.

Screw your version of morality when it comes to corporate policy. I guarantee they didn't offer those incentives to be nice and would send him on his happy way in a second for ridiculous reasons. He owes them nothing
He owes them what he agreed to pay them if he didn't meet his end of the bargain. Paying sign-on bonuses is in no way an indicator that a company sucks. The best companies do that, so your claim is wrong. I am not favoring the corporation over the individual. I am stating that a person should be good for their word and to the contracts they commit if they want to be ethical. Your ethics are not determined by the other person. They are determined by how you act. If you are not keeping your promises you are being unethical. He was not coerced or misled into taking the sign-on bonus. Your version of ethics is evidently a poor one.

LOL @ "wage theft".

We have regulatory agencies and lawyers willing and eager to take on these cases.

I dare you to steal wages from your employees and see if you can get away with it.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
How big of a sign on bonus are we talking here?

6095584ff22c6b00185dcecd

Reactions: luvmyhawks
He owes them what he agreed to pay them if he didn't meet his end of the bargain. Paying sign-on bonuses is in no way an indicator that a company sucks. The best companies do that, so your claim is wrong. I am not favoring the corporation over the individual. I am stating that a person should be good for their word and to the contracts they commit if they want to be ethical. Your ethics are not determined by the other person. They are determined by how you act. If you are not keeping your promises you are being unethical. He was not coerced or misled into taking the sign-on bonus. Your version of ethics is evidently a poor one.
You’ll never convince him.

Reactions: praguehawk
No one is expecting you to stay at a company you don't want to work for, but if you agreed to stay for 12 months and failed to do so, the only honorable thing to do would be to return the bonus. The company was nice enough to front the bonus to you, (I've never been given a bonus up front) and you thank them by stiffing them? Is that really the Hawkeye way?
Hey, Brian Ferentz has no problem raking in hundreds of thousands being an "Offensive" Coordinator.....it may very well be the Hawkeye way!

I pay it back. The contract should include terms for that. If you don’t have the cash ask them if they’d accept other terms for repayment.

5k is less than a manager spent on his desk at one of the companies I worked with a while back.
I see tons of that here too - so, so many layers - everyone taking what they can for their "layer" - high dollar trips, high dollar spending.

Hell, the week I started some Maintenance VPs travelled to our plant to "celebrate" our plant having the best performance numbers for energy efficiency - I don't think they ever talked to our maintenance team - they barely talked to me as the site ops manager.

But they did manage to charge a $900 grill to our site because they thought we needed a second grill to get the free meal made (we didn't), they also bought a specialty $1600 cake for one of the VPs birthdays. It was like one of those cakes you see on those competitive baking shows - looked cool (record player/headphone motif, because the guy fancies himself some sort of musician), but tasted like store bought Betty Crocker box cake.

So stupid

Reactions: Tfxchawk
I see tons of that here too - so, so many layers - everyone taking what they can for their "layer" - high dollar trips, high dollar spending.

Hell, the week I started some Maintenance VPs travelled to our plant to "celebrate" our plant having the best performance numbers for energy efficiency - I don't think they ever talked to our maintenance team - they barely talked to me as the site ops manager.

But they did manage to charge a $900 grill to our site because they thought we needed a second grill to get the free meal made (we didn't), they also bought a specialty $1600 cake for one of the VPs birthdays. It was like one of those cakes you see on those competitive baking shows - looked cool (record player/headphone motif, because the guy fancies himself some sort of musician), but tasted like store bought Betty Crocker box cake.

So stupid

It sounds like you missed the part in your ascent up the corporate ladder over a generation that if you don't use your budget, you lose it

So after a little back and forth negotiating with a former employer over the weekend I decided to take a work from home role with them and leave my current job which I started three months ago.

Had a sign on bonus with the usual verbiage of paying back if they termed me with cause or I quit within the first year.

Now, I've been thoroughly unimpressed with this place (big part of why I'm leaving) and honestly have no intentions of paying this bonus back.

If it comes down to I may actually quit without notice at the end of the next payroll just so they don't try to deduct the bonus from my last check.

This would be the only place in my career that I'm more than likely going to end up leaving on bad terms with over this bonus, and since it was only 3 months I'll never include it on my resume nor will I ever consider going back.

Anyone here fight with a company over this upon your exit? What should I expect when I give them the notice?
You are doing the right thing.

Signed,

THE_DEVIL

Did they honor the terms of the agreement? Is your integrity worth more than $5,000. If so, pay it back.
Corporate misrepresented the culture. I'm guessing you don't have a problem with that part of any agreement to work somewhere

Good luck getting out of it. You’ll probably end up spending more than $5000 in legal fees fighting a futile battle.

You and OP are why I refuse to hire poors. You don't have a basic understanding of what a contract means or what integrity is.
Good one....I deal with/hire/fire/counsel/babysit/coach "poors" everyday....I've seen more integrity in a lot of these 'poors' than numerous managers/vp's/owners.

GFY

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT