ADVERTISEMENT

Payton Sandfort announcing October 1st

Yay! Another 150+ three star!!!!!!!!

Stack ‘em up, Franny!!! More diamonds in the rough than S. Africa!

I get what you're saying, but I think you have to continue to add some in-state talent. Fran is not landing the Top 50 blue-chip recruits, and from there it's a crapshoot, anyway. The question will be if Fran can more consistently land guys who are in the Luka Garza/Tyler Cook range. Of course, no one could have predicted Luka Garza would develop into what he has, but if Iowa wants to stay relevant nationally those are the type of players he's going to have to get more regularly. I agree.

With that said, if you can get a commitment from an in-state guy who is a 6'8 wing player with decent ball skills I don't know why you wouldn't take him. If you fill your entire recruiting classes with those types of players, then yes, you are going to sink to the bottom tier of the conference rather quickly. For me, the goal should be consistency in striving to be in the top half of the conference every year with the hope of being set up to have special years every 3-4 years. Right now, I think Fran is in position to do that.

162 to be exact.

Lol. An Iowa State fan trying to throw shade on Iowa basketball right now,

How have all those four-star players worked out for Prohm so far? Losing seasons two of the last three years with a likely mediocre season coming in 20-21. Yeah, I would be on an Iowa message board talking about player ratings if I were an Iowa State fan too. Derp.

I get what you're saying, but I think you have to continue to add some in-state talent. Fran is not landing the Top 50 blue-chip recruits, and from there it's a crapshoot, anyway. The question will be if Fran can more consistently land guys who are in the Luka Garza/Tyler Cook range. Of course, no one could have predicted Luka Garza would develop into what he has, but if Iowa wants to stay relevant nationally those are the type of players he's going to have to get more regularly. I agree.

With that said, if you can get a commitment from an in-state guy who is a 6'8 wing player with decent ball skills I don't know why you wouldn't take him. If you fill your entire recruiting classes with those types of players, then yes, you are going to sink to the bottom tier of the conference rather quickly. For me, the goal should be consistency in striving to be in the top half of the conference every year with the hope of being set up to have special years every 3-4 years. Right now, I think Fran is in position to do that.

Good post but I honestly think Fran has doomed himself with these last two classes. Maybe Iowa goes to the final four this year and he’ll turn it all around in a big way in ‘22 but...not betting on it (turning it around, I mean. Iowa could very well make the FF this season).

Hope I’m wrong. Time will tell.

• Haha
Reactions: hooper56
I rarely agree with Raptorpeeps on anything, but in this case I concur. No knock on the kid, but I was hoping that with all the high praise the Iowa program is receiving from the basketball world, we would be able to take advantage of the good publicity and sign up some legitimate 4 (or heaven forbid, a 5) star talent. Last year, we signed just one, after Ulis was re-evaluated. Other programs in the B1G are loading up and if we aren't doing the same, I just don't know how we can keep our upward momentum going. McCaffery has done a great coaching job considering we are signing one 4 star recruit a year, but to compete for the B1G title and for national success, we need to match the recruiting other teams in the B1G are accomplishing. Otherwise, we will always be an upper/middle finisher at best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Good post but I honestly think Fran has doomed himself with these last two classes. Maybe Iowa goes to the final four this year and he’ll turn it all around in a big way in ‘22 but...not betting on it (turning it around, I mean. Iowa could very well make the FF this season).

Yep, time will tell.

Personally, I don't like all the talk of Iowa going to the Final Four. All it takes is one bad game to have an early round exit in the tournament. A lot of teams more talented than this year's Iowa squad have failed to reach the final weekend of March. Iowa should win a lot of basketball games this season and have a decent shot at the Final Four if everything lines up accordingly but I think those expectations need to be tempered a little. The same for a conference championship. There are a lot of good teams in the B1G Ten this year.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Fran has doomed himself." If the expectation is for him to have a squad every year that's preseason Top 5 or 10, then yes, without a doubt. I know that's probably not what you mean, so I'll assume you're implying Iowa will regress to an NIT-level program. In truth, that's possible. Unless Fran starts winning more recruiting battles against teams that aren't directional schools or Missouri Valley caliber, Iowa could easily fall back to the Tom Davis years of the 1990s--a top tier finish in the B1G Ten with one first round win sprinkled in here and there and a lot of mediocrity.

We'll see what happens. I wouldn't write the kids off in the 2020 class just yet.

There’s no in-person recruiting going on for D1 until at least January 1, 2021. There hasn’t been any since March. A little hard to establish relationships through just emails, texts etc.

I know you're being sarcastic, but Fran has a decent track record with 3 stars. Aaron White and Peter Jok were all conference. Nick Bear was B10 sixth man of the year. Bohannon was 3rd all B10 and will push for B10 3 point record. Isaiah moss started for a team that would have competed for a national championship last year. Joe Toussaint and Cj Frederick both look like ballers.

I will acknowledge that there were about 3 recruiting classes that were almost all misses and really set the program back. And theres probably more misses then hits, but there are plenty of hits.

I'm not saying lets put a statue of Fran outside of Carver, but lets not immediately shit post just because we (hopefully) will sign a top in-state recruit.

Lol. An Iowa State fan trying to throw shade on Iowa basketball right now,

How have all those four-star players worked out for Prohm so far? Losing seasons two of the last three years with a likely mediocre season coming in 20-21. Yeah, I would be on an Iowa message board talking about player ratings if I were an Iowa State fan too. Derp.
He is a good player. Should be ranked higher imo. He will be a very good player at Iowa. Will be a good pickup for you guys.

There’s no in-person recruiting going on for D1 until at least January 1, 2021. There hasn’t been any since March. A little hard to establish relationships through just emails, texts etc.

Good point. Seems unfair that no other program has had to deal with this except for Iowa but those are apparently the facts.

Last edited:
I know you're being sarcastic, but Fran has a decent track record with 3 stars. Aaron White and Peter Jok were all conference. Nick Bear was B10 sixth man of the year. Bohannon was 3rd all B10 and will push for B10 3 point record. Isaiah moss started for a team that would have competed for a national championship last year. Joe Toussaint and Cj Frederick both look like ballers.

I will acknowledge that there were about 3 recruiting classes that were almost all misses and really set the program back. And theres probably more misses then hits, but there are plenty of hits.

I'm not saying lets put a statue of Fran outside of Carver, but lets not immediately shit post just because we (hopefully) will sign a top in-state recruit.

jok was only a three star recruit because he got injured and the big programs backed off. He was a very highly rated recruit before the knee injury and he showed why at Iowa. It was a great bet for Fran.

The rest of your post is fine but look at that list again and you won’t be surprised that Fran has yet to see the second weekend of the tourney.

He is a good player. Should be ranked higher imo. He will be a very good player at Iowa. Will be a good pickup for you guys.

I live in Waukee and will probably check him and Omaha out a few times this year. Sorry, I thought you were trying to troll.

I thought he was taking me to task for the 150+ comment by pointing out that he’s essentially a top 150 recruit (and may rise).

I'm going to games this year because my step daughter is a cheerleader (for all you pervs, she's under 18, so don't even think about asking for pics). Assuming he commits to Iowa, I will probably post my thoughts on him after watching a few games.

Hayes, L. Wade, or anybody else that has seen him play...

What is your opinion on Sandfort’s athleticism, handles, driving to the basket, and defense?

Thanks

Yep, time will tell.

Personally, I don't like all the talk of Iowa going to the Final Four. All it takes is one bad game to have an early round exit in the tournament. A lot of teams more talented than this year's Iowa squad have failed to reach the final weekend of March. Iowa should win a lot of basketball games this season and have a decent shot at the Final Four if everything lines up accordingly but I think those expectations need to be tempered a little. The same for a conference championship. There are a lot of good teams in the B1G Ten this year.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Fran has doomed himself." If the expectation is for him to have a squad every year that's preseason Top 5 or 10, then yes, without a doubt. I know that's probably not what you mean, so I'll assume you're implying Iowa will regress to an NIT-level program. In truth, that's possible. Unless Fran starts winning more recruiting battles against teams that aren't directional schools or Missouri Valley caliber, Iowa could easily fall back to the Tom Davis years of the 1990s--a top tier finish in the B1G Ten with one first round win sprinkled in here and there and a lot of mediocrity.

We'll see what happens. I wouldn't write the kids off in the 2020 class just yet.

I get what you're saying and tend to be on the pessimistic side, but I can think of one other team more talented than this since the early 80's. That would be the team with the gut wrenching loss to UNLV. Which others am I missing?

Good stuff. I would add that he offered Ulis when he was a 3-star and then became a 4-star. The Murray twins were not very highly regarded until this past season, same for Perkins. I am past questioning Fran's eye for talent.

Good stuff. I would add that he offered Ulis when he was a 3-star and then became a 4-star. The Murray twins were not very highly regarded until this past season, same for Perkins. I am past questioning Fran's eye for talent.
Don't think there's any question that Fran has an eye for talent, the issue has been landing the big fish. He was in on Ulis's brother before anyone, and then Kentucky came calling literally at the 11th hour. ....

Hayes, L. Wade, or anybody else that has seen him play...

What is your opinion on Sandfort’s athleticism, handles, driving to the basket, and defense?

Thanks
Other than highlights I have only seen him in person one time. The thing that stood out to me just like it does everyone else is his shot is butter. He didn't drive much but when he did he basically did what he wanted since he had a small guy guarding him. I would say for HS his ball handling was above average, and you could tell he ball handling was not up to pare with DeVries. I thought he was a bit tentative on defense and could have been more physical but was a good rebounder. He has great length and is a great shooter. I couldn't find a player comp that was good for him. Height wise and shooting he did remind me of Dean Wade from K-State.

Other than highlights I have only seen him in person one time. The thing that stood out to me just like it does everyone else is his shot is butter. He didn't drive much but when he did he basically did what he wanted since he had a small guy guarding him. I would say for HS his ball handling was above average, and you could tell he ball handling was not up to pare with DeVries. I thought he was a bit tentative on defense and could have been more physical but was a good rebounder. He has great length and is a great shooter. I couldn't find a player comp that was good for him. Height wise and shooting he did remind me of Dean Wade from K-State.

Thanks. Good summary. Exactly what I was looking for...

Hoping he’s a Hawkeye, great potential to grow into a very good player.

As far as getting higher ranked recruits in the fold, maybe we need to evaluate who our shoe company representative is?

Reactions: chuck285
@L. Wade Childress ....any idea how Utah got in on him so early? I can't think of a connection.
Kinda came out of the blue. A Utah assistant saw him at an AAU event during his soph/Jr season, liked his game and told Krystkowiak about Payton, who then started calling and building a relationship. I was told that he really liked the Utah coach and if the proximity to home wasn’t significant, it would probably been tough to turn Utah down.
Just what I was told b/c I wondered the same thing.

I respectfully disagree, but only time will tell.

Good point. Seems unfair that no other program has had to deal with this except for Iowa but those are apparently the facts.
Obviously every D1 school is dealing with it, but it hampers some more than others.

I get what you're saying and tend to be on the pessimistic side, but I can think of one other team more talented than this since the early 80's. That would be the team with the gut wrenching loss to UNLV. Which others am I missing?

I think all he's saying is it's very difficult to go to the Final 4. Given that Iowa hasn't even been to a Sweet 16 since 1999, the Final 4 talk does seem a bit overdone. We might have a different perspective had Iowa made it to the Sweet 16 last year, but everything got cancelled. This team was a 5 seed in the Big 10, likely a 5-7 seed in the NCAA tournament last year. Good team, not great. Everyone of consequence back other than Kriener, and add in a very good player in Bohannon and a freshman class that probably won't contribute this year. So yes, it's good to be optimistic.

But I'd put Iowa's chances at going to the Final 4 somewhere between 10 and 20%. A bit higher to win the Big 10. But they will have to prove they can win when they can't score in a game.

Reactions: Sheahawk and BBHawk
Final-4 would take a defense/low turnover rate.

Sandfort can shoot the ball...seems like a good pickup. Unlike another poster, I like the last 2-classes. I was big fan of JoeT and I think he looked fantastic. My beef with Fran is he needed to get some athletes from out of state and he has done so.

This last class is big. The upside depends on how the two Murray brother's work out...how well those two do will tell you something about Fran's eye for talent. Fran has certainly had his share of misses over the years.

Joey T, Ulis and Perkins all played their way up the rankings. Joey T got that elusive 4th star from multiple rankings and I think Perkins and Ulis played their way onto someone's 4* list. The Waukee kid is starting much either than either Tony or Ahron.

Reactions: jasonrann
The Murray twins were not very highly regarded until this past season, same for Perkins. I am past questioning Fran's eye for talent.

The Murray twins are currently ranked 326 and 327 respectively. Perkins is ranked 307.

In what world is this considered "highly regarded?" Where, outside of this board, are these players "highly regarded." What are you even talking about?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT