ADVERTISEMENT

Payton Sandfort

Do you know if they are LDS?

actually a pretty good sized presence in Waukee. Several kids go to BYU every year.
I do not think so. The religious topic never came up. I know his uncle is not.

The interest in Utah has more to do with them identifying Payton and building a relationship with him. Utah has done a really good job recruiting him. Payton really likes Krystkowiak, the Utah head coach. But the distance is probably just too great.

He really likes Fran too. His family and Payton, have really been impressed with him too. Payton wants to win and go to a winner. I don’t pretend to know every detail but I do know this information is true. His uncle was my roommate at Iowa and we have stayed close over the years and occasionally Payton’s recruitment comes up.

FWIW, not going out on limb here, but I think he’s a Hawkeye.

I do not think so. The religious topic never came up. I know his uncle is not.

The interest in Utah has more to do with them identifying Payton and building a relationship with him. Utah has done a really good job recruiting him. Payton really likes Krystkowiak, the Utah head coach. But the distance is probably just too great.

He really likes Fran too. His family and Payton, have really been impressed with him too. Payton wants to win and go to a winner. I don’t pretend to know every detail but I do know this information is true. His uncle was my roommate at Iowa and we have stayed close over the years and occasionally Payton’s recruitment comes up.

FWIW, not going out on limb here, but I think he’s a Hawkeye.

Sweet! I would love to have another really solid Iowa kid stay home to be a Hawk!

He would be a good fit for Utah's system. But then again he would be a really good fit for Iowa as well. He is smart to look at programs where his skill set would be valued.

Armchair analysis:

Looks like Nicholas Baer 2.0 or a poor man’s Chris Street. Not very explosive and in two minutes of highlights I didn’t see a single dunk. But he’s crafty with the ball, plays hard, gets to the rim in a variety of ways and straight pulls the trigger on 3s. Has some subtle swagger and seems like a leader on the court. Would definitely be a redshirt candidate with Iowa’s current roster structure but could be a 6th man candidate by his RS Sophomore year and starter as an upperclassman if he puts on 15 pounds of muscle and improves his foot speed.

Iowa should definitely pursue him with the intent of bringing him on board as he seems like his ceiling is becoming one of the front court guys for Wisconsin who we all despise.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
Armchair analysis:

Looks like Nicholas Baer 2.0 or a poor man’s Chris Street. Not very explosive and in two minutes of highlights I didn’t see a single dunk. But he’s crafty with the ball, plays hard, gets to the rim in a variety of ways and straight pulls the trigger on 3s. Has some subtle swagger and seems like a leader on the court. Would definitely be a redshirt candidate with Iowa’s current roster structure but could be a 6th man candidate by his RS Sophomore year and starter as an upperclassman if he puts on 15 pounds of muscle and improves his foot speed.

Iowa should definitely pursue him with the intent of bringing him on board as he seems like his ceiling is becoming one of the front court guys for Wisconsin who we all despise.

totally different player than Street, but I agree with the attitude comment. He definitely has a fiery streak in him. Devries is a great high school player as well, but it was typically Payton who really came through at the end of games in various ways. The athletic limitations will always be there, but I think he has a decent chance of being a good big ten player for iowa. He honestly reminds me of some combination of Oglesby and Uthoff, Who were obviously both top 150 players coming out of high school.

Oh yeah I should mention that he definitely had a lot of dunks over the course of the year. He’s definitely athletic enough for the Big Ten.

Isn't he only a freshman in high school anyway? My step daughter goes to Waukee and I think they're in the same class.

Regardless, wasn't Ryan Bowen limited athletically and couldn't dunk when he first got to Iowa?

Get in the weight room and work on squats and lunges.

Isn't he only a freshman in high school anyway? My step daughter goes to Waukee and I think they're in the same class.

Regardless, wasn't Ryan Bowen limited athletically and couldn't dunk when he first got to Iowa?

Get in the weight room and work on squats and lunges.

iowa has offered Payton who is a junior

pryce is the freshman.

I am not sure who you are thinking of, but Bowen was a good athlete when he came to Iowa. He was a high school tennis player, and had good mobility and quickness. He wasn't strong enough to play inside in the Big 10 but athleticism wasn't the issue.

I am not sure who you are thinking of, but Bowen was a good athlete when he came to Iowa. He was a high school tennis player, and had good mobility and quickness. He wasn't strong enough to play inside in the Big 10 but athleticism wasn't the issue.
You are correct. Ryan was a very good athlete and not afraid to play defense.

Reactions: chaneccooms

It's been so long ago, but I kinda remember that now. I could easily be wrong, but I thought I remember hearing stories of how Bowen couldn't dunk when he first got to Iowa.

Bowen was an excellent athlete. Basketball, Tennis and he was a solid pitcher in baseball. Whatever Ryan's problems may have been, athleticism was not one of them.

Ryan Bowen could definitely dunk in HS. Had a chance to see him play at my HS. He probably didn't score 50 but it looked like it, with too many dunks to count. Now, Ottumwa was that season, and usually is, terrible at boys BBall so the competition was less than top flight.

Totally agree with Suterman, Ryan was a very good athlete and a heady ball player.

How has Sandfort played against high-level competition? From the tape, he isn't blessed with elite athleticism, but he sure has a variety of shots. I think he could be a valuable player, if he is surrounded by other good players. He would probably struggle a lot, if he were forced to be priority option in the offense.

Payton has a nose for the ball. Quick release and handles the ball well. Elevates nicely on his jumper and seems to work his way open! Led his team in rebounding. I think this kid would be a really good get. I’d love to see some film of his defense.

Reactions: skydog0784
Ryan didn't take a lot of shots, but for his career he shot .590 from two and .375 from three. Pretty decent numbers.

Bowen was an excellent athlete. Basketball, Tennis and he was a solid pitcher in baseball. Whatever Ryan's problems may have been, athleticism was not one of them.
As I recall, Bowen was also all-state in choir. Doesn’t say much about his dunking ability, but it does speak well to his overall talent and versatility.

As I recall, Bowen was also all-state in choir. Doesn’t say much about his dunking ability, but it does speak well to his overall talent and versatility.

200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT