ADVERTISEMENT

PB and Jelly refrigeration really required?

A

anon_snp6dc585nnj4

So my hotel room doesn't have a fridge and ice machine is broken. I carry a jar of crunchy pb and a squeezable "all natural" smuckers jelly with me for easy lunch fixes. They were kept cold last night because the bottles say refrigerate after opening. Can't get them cold until maybe tomorrow night. Shall I just toss now? Or take the risk. I can't imagine them going bad.

You never chilled down beer using the ice bucket and the sink - i find this strange or you don't travel that often.

You never chilled down beer using the ice bucket and the sink - i find this strange or you don't travel that often.
He already covered this in the OP. Smuckers says you don't need to refrigerate their jelly, but they recommend it to extend the life and slow separation. Sugar is a preservative, you should be fine.

So my hotel room doesn't have a fridge and ice machine is broken. I carry a jar of crunchy pb and a squeezable "all natural" smuckers jelly with me for easy lunch fixes. They were kept cold last night because the bottles say refrigerate after opening. Can't get them cold until maybe tomorrow night. Shall I just toss now? Or take the risk. I can't imagine them going bad.
Peanut butter does not need refrigeration. Never heard of anybody keeping it in the fridge. Jelly and or jam might. See what it says on the label.

Peanut butter does not need refrigeration. Never heard of anybody keeping it in the fridge.
Ordinary commercial peanut butter like Skippy and Jif doesn't need to be refrigerated. Natural peanut butter, like what Mrs. TJ buys, separates because of the lack of hydrogenated oil and usually needs to be refrigerated or it will eventually go rancid.

Interesting

Sooo, you find it strange that they didn't think to chill their PB&J with ice and an ice bucket, but it's not strange at all that they travel with their own personal supply of PB&J?

Interesting

Sooo, you find it strange that they didn't think to chill their PB&J with ice and an ice bucket, but it's not strange at all that they travel with their own personal supply of PB&J?

I travel 4 out of 7 days a week. Sorry I try to have a somewhat "healthier" meal option a couple of those times instead of sodium laced packaged salads in the airport. I also bring chicken breast, leftovers and fruit/veggies. Sadly I am out of those for now.

Last edited:
Ordinary commercial peanut butter like Skippy and Jif doesn't need to be refrigerated. Natural peanut butter, like what Mrs. TJ buys, separates because of the lack of hydrogenated oil and usually needs to be refrigerated or it will eventually go rancid.
I think you'd have to keep it a long, long, LONG time for that to happen. I have had a jar of the natural stuff in the cupboard for 6 or more months on more than one occasion. You have to stir it because the oil floats, but I never had a problem with it going bad. On the other hand, it doesn't take up much space in the fridge, so there's that.

Hard to believe a world traveling pilot such as OP would have to slum in a hotel with no fridge, a broken ice machine, living on PB&J.

And you guys think Thomas Barnes is full of it.
They probably make him bring his own propeller, too.

Reactions: linkshero
Hard to believe a world traveling pilot such as OP would have to slum in a hotel with no fridge, a broken ice machine, living on PB&J.

And you guys think Thomas Barnes is full of it.

I switched rooms and didn't want to bother the hotel staff with moving the mini fridge because I am not a D. They just remodeled, HI Ex, and the ice machines have not been hooked back yet. Pbj is an American staple that is very easy to travel with and pack. Confused how my story seems fabricated. Look around airports, plenty of pilots with coolers. Some financial decisions and some healthy decisions.

Don't need to refrigerate pb, or jelly, or mayo, or mustard, or ketchup....as long as you use them up within a month or so. Actually, pb will last longer than that.

Since someone mentioned mayo. How many people are aware that the 'mayo in the sun will make you sick' is mostly bunk. So long as it's store bought mayo (not homemade) then it won't get anyone sick.

Something else in the salad could, potatoes for example, get you sick. or some kid who didnt wash his hands after wiping his anal cavity, touching the serving spoon, then you using the same spoon and lick your fingers as you eat.

Of course the old "must have been the mayonnaise" line gets brought up and accepted as fact when the truth is (store bought) mayo has a make up that is not friendly to support bacteria growth

Don't need to refrigerate pb, or jelly, or mayo, or mustard, or ketchup....as long as you use them up within a month or so. Actually, pb will last longer than that.
I did not know that about mayo, would guessed the opposite but the internet says you're right. HROT is always schooling me.

Who uses an entire bottle of any of those within a month? I have never seen anyone put PB in the fridge. Cold PB actually sounds terrible...

Reactions: naturalmwa
I can use an entire bottle of ketchup in about 3 days.

A bottle of ketchup lasts us a few years, and we never keep it in the fridge. We keep mustards in there, as we have half a dozen different kinds on hand at any given time and we've gotten used to having them there. Usually we just do what the label says. If a salsa says refrigerate after opening, we do; if it doesn't say that, we may or may not do it.

This thread reminds me of a recipe I made last week. You mix old-fashioned oats, peanut butter, honey, yogurt, and half-and-half, put it in the fridge overnight. Surprisingly good. I used raspberriy yogurt and put half a dozen raspberries on top before refrigerating.

Ate it for breakfast, but you could put a dollop of whipped cream on it and it would make an interesting dessert.

A bottle of ketchup lasts us a few years, and we never keep it in the fridge. We keep mustards in there, as we have half a dozen different kinds on hand at any given time and we've gotten used to having them there. Usually we just do what the label says. If a salsa says refrigerate after opening, we do; if it doesn't say that, we may or may not do it.

This thread reminds me of a recipe I made last week. You mix old-fashioned oats, peanut butter, honey, yogurt, and half-and-half, put it in the fridge overnight. Surprisingly good. I used raspberriy yogurt and put half a dozen raspberries on top before refrigerating.

Ate it for breakfast, but you could put a dollop of whipped cream on it and it would make an interesting dessert.

Recipe? The addition of half-and-half makes it intriguing.

how much of each of those, in that concoction LC?
1/4 C. Old-fashioned oats, uncooked (I used Quaker steel-cut 3-minute oats)
1/3 C. Milk. (I used fat-free half-and-half)
1/4 C. Greek yogurt
2 T. Peanut butter
1 tsp. honey
Fresh fruit (optional)

Mix all ingredients except fruit until thoroughly combined. Top with fresh fruit if desired. Refrigerate overnight. I used raspberry yogurt, divided the batch into two small bowls, and put half a dozen fresh raspberries on each one. I used fat-free half-and-half because the only milk we had was skim and I didn't think that would be rich enough.

Next time I make it, I may use crunchy peanut butter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT