ADVERTISEMENT

PBS Reynolds v. DeJear debate....

The governor is going to win in a historic landslide. The contrast between that eventual outcome and the opinions/views/postions taken by many HROT board members simply illustrates how radical this board has become.
I agree, but I'm curious why you think this?

I really like Dejear and I think she said everything right in this debate. In a different time, I think she would win. However, I think it is the democratic party and their current extreme views nationall that will prevent dejear from winning.

The extreme people on this board are why I can't vote for dejear. People like Tom and huey can't even look at things objectively, they just attack and Try to humiliate other posters who don't agree with them. I think this is what current national dem leadership does as well, so I cant vote dem even though I like dejear better than Reynolds.

No comment on Reynolds gloating about the state hoarding millions in surplus while starving public schools and restaurant inspections of needed funds?
Ok, I dont agree with it. I dont love Reynolds, I just don't trust democrats even more. But don't confuse my distust in democrats and my dislike for the dem social policies as a love for Reynolds.

You call me out for not mentiong Reynolds hoarding money, now what is your response to everything else I said.

My initial thought, in today's social climate, I dont think a black woman running as a Democrat will likely win governor in iowa. I dont think racism is the reason though.

I don't trust the democratic party to not push extreme social policies. I don't support the blm movement nor do I support critical race theory. I dont support affirmative gender care. I do not support the way democrats wanted to keep kids out of school during covid. It doesn't matter if there is a real concern here, perception is key and other democratic leaders nation wide are pushing the limits on these topics.

I admit that I like what DeJear says, and if not for my strong beliefs against the democratic social policies, I would probably vote for her.
This

The drink is for the tired and over used bullshit take that we only care about people before they're born. It's false and deserves to be called out every time it is vomited out by posters on this board.
Republican votes say otherwise. They tell us you're wrong almost every single day. Now they want to take away contraceptives, which will lead to many more children being born into poverty. So yeah, they don't give a shit.

I really like Dejear and I think she said everything right in this debate. In a different time, I think she would win. However, I think it is the democratic party and their current extreme views nationall that will prevent dejear from winning.

The extreme people on this board are why I can't vote for dejear. People like Tom and huey can't even look at things objectively, they just attack and Try to humiliate other posters who don't agree with them. I think this is what current national dem leadership does as well, so I cant vote dem even though I like dejear better than Reynolds.

Thats a lot of nonsense. CRT is a law school theory, no one has proposed implementing it, whatever it is. Are you against being honest that this country has treated black people like shit for 300 years?

So what you're saying is that you'll vote against your own best interests out of spite? Seems like a brilliant way to vote. I absolutely look at things objectively. I was a registered Republican at one point and then realized they weren't for anything I believed in.

Reactions: Ree4 and littlez
So what you're saying is that you'll vote against your own best interests out of spite? Seems like a brilliant way to vote. I absolutely look at things objectively. I was a registered Republican at one point and then realized they weren't for anything I believed in.
Please explain how I would be voting against my own best interest?

The drink is for the tired and over used bullshit take that we only care about people before they're born. It's false and deserves to be called out every time it is vomited out by posters on this board.
Really? Where are the proposals from republicans to take care of the thousands and thousands of new unwanted babies? To fix a foster care system that is already broken? To promote the use of contraceptives and make them widely and easily available? To provide healthcare for mothers and babies?

The overused bullshit is the unfounded claim by republicans that they really do care about mothers and babies after they are born.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
I thought this was a good debate. I appreciate both candidates presenting their side without name calling or fighting. Both sides were respectful to the moderator and to the time allotted to them.

I think they both made good points on abortion and they both fell short on abortion. Dejear failed to say late term abortion should be banned. While Reynolds pushes too far with the ban after 6 weeks.

Neither candidate won any voters based on their abortion stance. I think Dejear could have won republican voters by taking a harder stance against late term abortion. (Polititians need to be involved in this the same way they do making murder illegal. Not all doctors are moral, so your policy can't be just to trust them).

Reynolds is what she is on abortion, she will maintain the hard core pro lifers, but is not attracting anyone who thinks abortion should be leagal until viability (most democrats and some Republicans).
Dejear made it very clear that she supports codifying Roe which has a viability measure. When Reynolds tried the gotcha question about whether she believed in late term abortions she skillfully turned it around and said:

“That’s a really good question,” DeJear said. “And what I believe is that my personal belief has no space in a woman’s doctor’s appointment. When she goes into that doctor to make a decision that’s within her best interest, that is her decision.”

Reynolds then continued to try to accuse DeJear of supporting late term abortions to which she responded"

“I want to codify Roe in our state,” DeJear said. “Because that had the reasonable restrictions with exceptions that most of America agreed upon.”

That was an excellent smack down on that lame effort by Reynolds.

Thats a lot of nonsense. CRT is a law school theory, no one has proposed implementing it, whatever it is. Are you against being honest that this country has treated black people like shit for 300 years?
I don't agree with the crt theory. I don't like applying racial overtones to every conversation. This is what crt does. It says our whole country is based off systemic racism. it brings up race in every situation and for every occasion.

I don't think this is healthy for our country nor is it healthy for black or white individuals.

It is important to teach how race and racism shaped our country. But we need to build up all kids regardless of their race.

I don't recall race being mentioned at all in this debate. I think that is great. However, there are black democrats (even in the state of iowa) who have a very specific agenda to push. The agenda I am talking about tries to put down white people and victimize black people. We need to learn from the past and push forward to a better place.

I know Ibram X. Kendi Critical race theory, how to be antiracist was listed as a recommended read on my son's school website. So to say it is not out there is quite naive.

If you want to discuss crt, open another thread, but crt does play a role in politics and our schools. I am very careful not to vote for someone who will push a crt agenda.

I don't agree with the crt theory. I don't like applying racial overtones to every conversation. This is what crt does. It says our whole country is based off systemic racism. it brings up race in every situation and for every occasion.

I don't think this is healthy for our country nor is it healthy for black or white individuals.

It is important to teach how race and racism shaped our country. But we need to build up all kids regardless of their race.

I don't recall race being mentioned at all in this debate. I think that is great. However, there are black democrats (even in the state of iowa) who have a very specific agenda to push. The agenda I am talking about tries to put down white people and victimize black people. We need to learn from the past and push forward to a better place.

I know Ibram X. Kendi Critical race theory, how to be antiracist was listed as a recommended read on my son's school website. So to say it is not out there is quite naive.

If you want to discuss crt, open another thread, but crt does play a role in politics and our schools. I am very careful not to vote for someone who will push a crt agenda.
Lol the ones pushing crt as an agenda are the lying, gaslighting GOP stooges. Easy $$$ on their base.

I thought this was a good debate. I appreciate both candidates presenting their side without name calling or fighting. Both sides were respectful to the moderator and to the time allotted to them.

I think they both made good points on abortion and they both fell short on abortion. Dejear failed to say late term abortion should be banned. While Reynolds pushes too far with the ban after 6 weeks.

Neither candidate won any voters based on their abortion stance. I think Dejear could have won republican voters by taking a harder stance against late term abortion. (Polititians need to be involved in this the same way they do making murder illegal. Not all doctors are moral, so your policy can't be just to trust them).

Reynolds is what she is on abortion, she will maintain the hard core pro lifers, but is not attracting anyone who thinks abortion should be leagal until viability (most democrats and some Republicans).
Why would DeJear call for a late term abortion ban? Sometimes they are necessary to save the life of the mother. Other times they are necessary because the baby is no longer viable. DeJear clearly stated there are way too many variables and way too many exceptions to make bans black and white. You agree, right?

No they don't, stop lying,.. People will think you're a liar.
As usual, you are wrong.

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on Friday said that landmark high court rulings that established gay rights and contraception rights should be reconsidered now that the federal right to abortion has been revoked. Thomas wrote that those rulings “were demonstrably erroneous decisions.”

Reactions: Tom Paris

No, it doesn't. Are you afraid of kids learning about the lynchings, KKK and things like the Tulsa Massacre?

This is woefully ignorant. SMFH

Reactions: littlez

Can you explain this post? You clearly said that you like DeJear better than Reynolds. After last night's debate I can't blame you. But what does DeJear have to do with me or Tom? Do you think she will govern based on posts we make?

Can you explain this post? You clearly said that you like DeJear better than Reynolds. After last night's debate I can't blame you. But what does DeJear have to do with me or Tom? Do you think she will govern based on posts we make?
It's the R way - doesn't matter if the other candidate is better we have to vote for the R. Deplorable.

As usual, you are wrong.

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on Friday said that landmark high court rulings that established gay rights and contraception rights should be reconsidered now that the federal right to abortion has been revoked. Thomas wrote that those rulings “were demonstrably erroneous decisions.”

When anyone uses the term "They" in reference to Republicans it can be reasonably assumed that the speaker is referring to the majority of Republicans,.. The majority of Republicans definitely do not support the restriction of access to contraception, although be advised that "free access" to contraceptives is not the same thing as the "right" to contraceptives...

Dejear made it very clear that she supports codifying Roe which has a viability measure. When Reynolds tried the gotcha question about whether she believed in late term abortions she skillfully turned it around and said:

“That’s a really good question,” DeJear said. “And what I believe is that my personal belief has no space in a woman’s doctor’s appointment. When she goes into that doctor to make a decision that’s within her best interest, that is her decision.”

Reynolds then continued to try to accuse DeJear of supporting late term abortions to which she responded"

“I want to codify Roe in our state,” DeJear said. “Because that had the reasonable restrictions with exceptions that most of America agreed upon.”

Fair enough. Although I am not familiar exactly what it means to codify roe. I dont know what it says about viability, and I'm sure many others don't either. I wish she could have clarified the details of what codified roe means.

Once again, I dont think either candidate helped or hurt themselves based on the abortion discussion. I not think DeJear took full advantage of Reynolds very strict abortion policy.

@Hawk_82, can you address this? You say you don't want extremes. This is not wanting extremes. DeJear favors the rational approach to abortion. Reynolds favors a 6 week ban with more on the way. If you hate extremes then why are you giving Reynolds a pass on this?

Reactions: Ree4 and RileyHawk
Fair enough. Although I am not familiar exactly what it means to codify roe. I dont know what it says about viability, and I'm sure many others don't either. I wish she could have clarified the details of what codified roe means.

Once again, I dont think either candidate helped or hurt themselves based on the abortion discussion. I not think DeJear took full advantage of Reynolds very strict abortion policy.
Iowans are not going to support (DEM or GOP) late term abortions. My DEM friends are very alright with 20 weeks as the bench mark for the state law. I think Iowans are pretty level headed and understanding in most DEM talking points. Nobody is for illegalizing contraception... etc. That's the talking points of leftist extremists (some that are on HROT every day).

Democrats as a whole dont care to listen to the others ideas. You 2 specifically love to attack everyone who doesn't agree with you.

Y
@Hawk_82, can you address this? You say you don't want extremes. This is not wanting extremes. DeJear favors the rational approach to abortion. Reynolds favors a 6 week ban with more on the way. If you hate extremes then why are you giving Reynolds a pass on this?
Because abortion is not the biggest issue for me. Social issues are a bigger concern for me.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Iowans are not going to support (DEM or GOP) late term abortions. My DEM friends are very alright with 20 weeks as the bench mark for the state law. I think Iowans are pretty level headed and understanding in most DEM talking points. Nobody is for illegalizing contraception... etc. That's the talking points of leftist extremists (some that are on HROT every day).
I agree. I think the extremists on this board are also the most vocal which sometimes makes it seem like they represent a greater percentage of the population than they actually do.

When anyone uses the term "They" in reference to Republicans it can be reasonably assumed that the speaker is referring to the majority of Republicans,.. The majority of Republicans definitely do not support the restriction of access to contraception, although be advised that "free access" to contraceptives is not the same thing as the "right" to contraceptives...
The majority didn't back overturning Roe either but that didn't matter. You've got your head in the sand if you don't believe there is a significant number of evangelical republicans who want to have these rulings overturned as well. And as we see all the time they have tremendous influence on the elected officials.

If, as you say, most republicans do not support restrictions to contraceptives (or gay marriage or interracial marriage) then I would expect voters to reject the republican candidates who back those initiatives. I have doubts given what we've seen with republicans turning a blind eye to other issues they disagree with and voting R.

The majority didn't back overturning Roe either but that didn't matter. You've got your head in the sand if you don't believe there is a significant number of evangelical republicans who want to have these rulings overturned as well. And as we see all the time they have tremendous influence on the elected officials.

If, as you say, most republicans do not support restrictions to contraceptives (or gay marriage or interracial marriage) then I would expect voters to reject the republican candidates who back those initiatives. I have doubts given what we've seen with republicans turning a blind eye to other issues they disagree with and voting R.
Well, I did some research. No chance Reynolds wins. The way you all describe how she’s ruining the state and is too anti abortion, she will not win.

Reactions: Hammer93
Democrats as a whole dont care to listen to the others ideas. You 2 specifically love to attack everyone who doesn't agree with you.

Y

Because abortion is not the biggest issue for me. Social issues are a bigger concern for me.
Then lets drop abortion and focus on education. DeJear favors supporting public schools with public money. Reynolds supports funding private schools with public money. Isn't Reynolds view the more extreme here?

Why would DeJear call for a late term abortion ban? Sometimes they are necessary to save the life of the mother. Other times they are necessary because the baby is no longer viable. DeJear clearly stated there are way too many variables and way too many exceptions to make bans black and white. You agree, right?
Maybe not calling for a ban. I would guess very few iowans know the actual laws on abortion without looking them up. I think her argument would have been strengthened by specifically stating what the current law is in iowa since that is what she wants.

No they don't, stop lying,.. People will think you're a liar.

Sure they aren't.

Reactions: NCHawk5

???? Codify means to make it law via the legislature. Roe/Casey made abortion legal up until viability which, at the earliest, is about 22 weeks. After that it had to be for medical reasons.

This is another problem - many of you dismiss these things out of hand without taking the time to understand what is being debated. You listen to the analysis from right wing media and adopt their talking points.

Maybe not calling for a ban. I would guess very few iowans know the actual laws on abortion without looking them up. I think her argument would have been strengthened by specifically stating what the current law is in iowa since that is what she wants.
She wants at least a 6 week ban. She said as much during the debate. That is extreme.

Y

LOL - you put your hands over your ears when presented with facts and logic and then have the audacity to say others don't listen to different ideas. Classic.

I agree. I think the extremists on this board are also the most vocal which sometimes makes it seem like they represent a greater percentage of the population than they actually do.
It's extreme to support what was the law of the land for 50+ years? It's extreme to be concerned about a Supreme Court Justice who wants to overturn rulings allowing gay marriage and rights to contraceptives? JFC

WTF? Why would any intelligent person make such important decisions without knowing some of the very basic details?

She wants at least a 6 week ban. She said as much during the debate. That is extreme.
I agree this is extreme. This is the quandary we experience when voting. I dont want a 6 week ban on abortion, but I also don't want the extreme social policies of democrats.

I think the gender laws, racial issues, and other social policies are more detrimental to me and our state than the abortion laws.

Since we can't all get exactly what we want, I have to sacrifice something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT