ADVERTISEMENT

PBS Reynolds v. DeJear debate....

This is the problem with your stance. The ex

I agree this is extreme. This is the quandary we experience when voting. I dont want a 6 week ban on abortion, but I also don't want the extreme social policies of democrats.

I think the gender laws, racial issues, and other social policies are more detrimental to me and our state than the abortion laws.

Since we can't all get exactly what we want, I have to sacrifice something.
I asked to pivot to education. Reynolds is the more extreme candidate there, too. Thoughts?

WTF? Why would any intelligent person make such important decisions without knowing some of the very basic details?
Because I haven't had an abortion nor do I perform abortions. Abortion is not the most important topic to me.

I agree this is extreme. This is the quandary we experience when voting. I dont want a 6 week ban on abortion, but I also don't want the extreme social policies of democrats.

I think the gender laws, racial issues, and other social policies are more detrimental to me and our state than the abortion laws.

Since we can't all get exactly what we want, I have to sacrifice something.
What stance is the problem?

And you are admitting to having little, if any, knowledge about the details of the social issues in question. You're committed to voting R and will do so no matter what. You don't want to know the details.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawk_82
Because I haven't had an abortion nor do I perform abortions. Abortion is not the most important topic to me.
What is the most important topic? You mentioned CRT but obviously have little knowledge about what that is.

Please share your thoughts.
I already did with the public vs private funding. But I can expand. Iowa has lost student proficiency every year she's been in office. Every year she's been in office we've gone done in the rankings. Is diverting money to private schools a good idea when public schools need money more than ever and only continue to deteriorate under Reynolds leadership?

I already did with the public vs private funding. But I can expand. Iowa has lost student proficiency every year she's been in office. Every year she's been in office we've gone done in the rankings. Is diverting money to private schools a good idea when public schools need money more than ever and only continue to deteriorate under Reynolds leadership?
I don't like the direction of the school system in iowa, but I haven't seen that democrats have the answer either. I dont think education is going to sway me to vote democrats or republican.

Reactions: Hammer93
Gender affirmation care for kids and racial issues are most important to me.
I see, other topics you haven't delved into and just parrot the right wing propaganda.

I would be curious to know which Democrats are running their campaigns on gender affirmation care for kids and/or the implementation of CRT in primary/secondary schools.

What are your views on public school funding vs. private school vouchers and why?

Ok, I dont agree with it. I dont love Reynolds, I just don't trust democrats even more. But don't confuse my distust in democrats and my dislike for the dem social policies as a love for Reynolds.

You call me out for not mentiong Reynolds hoarding money, now what is your response to everything else I said.
My response is you've clearly been fooled by disinformation. The fact you give the current GOP a pass while calling Democrats radical shows you are misinformed. I feel badly that you've been duped.

I don't like the direction of the school system in iowa, but I haven't seen that democrats have the answer either. I dont think education is going to sway me to vote democrats or republican.
The Democrats answer is to begin by at least reinstating the funding for public schools that has been dramatically cut by Reynolds and the republicans. Do you agree with the defunding of public schools?

Reactions: Huey Grey
Rs have complete control in the state. If our schools are getting worse, I think it's more than fair to blame Reynolds and the GOP led House and Senate. Dems don't even have filibuster power. Not much we can do legislatively.

To elaborate: I think gender affirmation treatment for kids by using hormones and surgery is on the same level of damage as the opioid epidemic.
Sorry, that is beyond absurd.

One impacts less than 1% of the population, the other is a massive national public health crisis.

Again, you are the victim of disinformation. Work harder to educate yourself.

I see, other topics you haven't delved into and just parrot the right wing propaganda.

I would be curious to know which Democrats are running their campaigns on gender affirmation care for kids and/or the implementation of CRT in primary/secondary schools.

What are your views on public school funding vs. private school vouchers and why?
So do you see any problems with any of the democratic ideas nationwide related to social issues? You can attack me and my ideas all day, but I am not the only person who feels the way I do.

If social issues are important to me, tell me why I should vote democratic?

Rs have complete control in the state. If our schools are getting worse, I think it's more than fair to blame Reynolds and the GOP led House and Senate. Dems don't even have filibuster power. Not much we can do legislatively.
I'll be honest, I dont have the passion about education as I do for many other topics. this is not to say its not important, because it is. But I don't know the solution.

One impacts less than 1% of the population, the other is a massive national public health crisis.

What I see is 82 boiling down the issues he cares about until he can find that one issue where Reynolds comes out on top. What we know is it isn't the economy or abortion or schools or the environment or mental health. DeJear has a better approach than Reynolds for all of these.

Before the opioid epidemic, pain was declared the 5th vital sign. I know how many people are receiving gender care and I think it is a huge issue. I guess time will tell.

I'll be honest, I dont have the passion about education as I do for many other topics. this is not to say its not important, because it is. But I don't know the solution.
How about the economy? Iowa is sitting on a $2 billion surplus right now that Reynolds got from the federal government. So why isn't she giving it to back the people? Why is she hoarding it?

So do you see any problems with any of the democratic ideas nationwide related to social issues? You can attack me and my ideas all day, but I am not the only person who feels the way I do.

If social issues are important to me, tell me why I should vote democratic?
Why won't you answer the questions?

One reason to vote democratic is because you care about people who are far less fortunate than you. But I, not anyone else, is going to convince you to vote for anything other than an R.

If Trump runs again in 2024 against Biden who will you vote for?

Reactions: mickv
The majority didn't back overturning Roe either but that didn't matter. You've got your head in the sand if you don't believe there is a significant number of evangelical republicans who want to have these rulings overturned as well. And as we see all the time they have tremendous influence on the elected officials.

If, as you say, most republicans do not support restrictions to contraceptives (or gay marriage or interracial marriage) then I would expect voters to reject the republican candidates who back those initiatives. I have doubts given what we've seen with republicans turning a blind eye to other issues they disagree with and voting R.

The Republican candidates will be compared to the Democrat candidates on a multitude of topics, and Iowan's will vote accordingly,.. But when it comes specifically to restrictions on abortion or access to contraceptives Iowans will make their voices heard on those topics, and politicians that don't fall into line will be kicked to the curb....

Reactions: Hammer93
I am still waiting to hear why kids should not learn about how bad black people have been treated in this country.

Let alone the genocide we committed on Native Americans. I showed my kids the Crow Nation in SE Montana. They get it now.

Beltway insiders have Reynolds pegged as a real contender for 2028. Another 4 years of making Iowans proud and she will have a record of leadership and success very few will be able to match.
Extremist politicians from sparsely populated states generally don't do well on the national stage. Same goes for that drag queen in South Dakota.

Reactions: torbee
The Republican candidates will be compared to the Democrat candidates on a multitude of topics, and Iowan's will vote accordingly,.. But when it comes specifically to restrictions on abortion or access to contraceptives Iowans will make their voices heard on those topics, and politicians that don't fall into line will be kicked to the curb....
No. R's will vote R without educating themselves on the topics as we've seen in this thread. And once in they won't be removed.

The majority didn't back overturning Roe either but that didn't matter. You've got your head in the sand if you don't believe there is a significant number of evangelical republicans who want to have these rulings overturned as well. And as we see all the time they have tremendous influence on the elected officials.

If, as you say, most republicans do not support restrictions to contraceptives (or gay marriage or interracial marriage) then I would expect voters to reject the republican candidates who back those initiatives. I have doubts given what we've seen with republicans turning a blind eye to other issues they disagree with and voting R.
This is the example of extremist views that are not reality in the GOP party. Yes, LOL.

Then lets drop abortion and focus on education. DeJear favors supporting public schools with public money. Reynolds supports funding private schools with public money. Isn't Reynolds view the more extreme here?
Reynolds actually supports the funding to both. Why not give parents and student a choice. Our public school system (in some areas) is going to hell with the liberal education that is secretly seeping in. My kids went to small town public school and none of that crap happened there. They went to school and got a great education from teachers who weren't trying to liberalize them. Private school parents pay taxes too. They should be funded if they want their kids in that learning environment. I have no issues with it.

This is the example of extremist views that are not reality in the GOP party. Yes, LOL.
Lol - the "extremist view" of Roe being overturned is not held by most republicans yet it happened anyway. That's a big part of the issue - the republicans in power don't care what the people of the country want.

Reactions: mickv
As usual, you are wrong.

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on Friday said that landmark high court rulings that established gay rights and contraception rights should be reconsidered now that the federal right to abortion has been revoked. Thomas wrote that those rulings “were demonstrably erroneous decisions.”
One judge.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Lol - the "extremist view" of Roe being overturned is not held by most republicans yet it happened anyway. That's a big part of the issue - the republicans in power don't care what the people of the country want.
Not true. Most republican states have a limit on abortion and have not banned it. They care. They value choices, just not radical choices.

Reynolds actually supports the funding to both. Why not give parents and student a choice. Our public school system (in some areas) is going to hell with the liberal education that is secretly seeping in. My kids went to small town public school and none of that crap happened there. They went to school and got a great education from teachers who weren't trying to liberalize them. Private school parents pay taxes too. They should be funded if they want their kids in that learning environment. I have no issues with it.
No. She significantly cut public school funding.

You are ignorant about what is being taught as a result of being duped by right wing propaganda.

Private schools getting public funding should be required to be open to any student wanting to attend. But they want to select those that fit their criteria.

Reactions: mickv and Huey Grey
The drink is for the tired and over used bullshit take that we only care about people before they're born. It's false and deserves to be called out every time it is vomited out by posters on this board.
FWIW, I don't think you give a shit about the "innocent lives" before they are born either.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Until the day I die I will never understand how more than half of Iowans can listen to that sniveling moron Reynolds and choose to vote for her. It defies reason and sanity. She is just a gross, low IQ, mean-spirited, horrible human being.
Actually, Iowa nice is no longer a thing.

Reactions: littlez
Not true. Most republican states have a limit on abortion and have not banned it. They care. They value choices, just not radical choices.
There are states that have banned it completely and all have that option. Iowa is moving toward that of Reynolds gets her way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT