ADVERTISEMENT

PBS Reynolds v. DeJear debate....

???? You're suggesting we go back to the wrong that was righted because a minority of people like it the way it was before? Are you one who also supports states deciding if gay marriage is legal? What about interracial marriage? Access to contraception?
Is that how you interpreted that? Fascinating.

Not suggesting it, asking you because you're supporting states rights to decide on gay marriage, interracial marriage and even going back to Jim Crow laws. Just trying to figure out where you would draw the line. My guess is you wouldn't.

My state has adopted fine positions on both interracial and gay marriage, so I'm OK with the states, in general, having that control,.. Your reference to Jim Crow is just an attempt garner support by throwing out scary buzzwords,.. Nobody supports any return to Jim Crow laws.

Reactions: Hammer93
My state has adopted fine positions on both interracial and gay marriage, so I'm OK with the states, in general, having that control,.. Your reference to Jim Crow is just an attempt garner support by throwing out scary buzzwords,.. Nobody supports any return to Jim Crow laws.
You are fine with states determining if someone can marry outside of their race?

You're OK with a different state adopting laws that make interracial and gay marriage illegal?

No one? GTFO. There are a bunch of white supremacists in your party that would like nothing less than Jim Crow laws. And based on your comments, you're OK with that as long as it's not your state.

Do you think the North should have fought the South over slavery and to bring them back into the Union?

Reactions: Tom Paris
You are fine with states determining if someone can marry outside of their race?
He is. He's fine with state's determining the legality of gay marriage as well. Seems he wants almost all matters to be left up to the individual states. So much for United.

Reactions: Tom Paris
How this board thinks...

Having a swimsuit contest for Miss America is misogynistic.

Allowing a man to dress up as a hyper sexualized parody of a “woman” and prance around in front of children is brave and progressive.

Congrats on having the post most detached from reality in this entire thread. Is this what right wing talking points are saying these days?

Where is the curriculum in Iowa that teaches kids to be apologetic? Or is this just another example of you being duped?
“CRT” is just more bull shit and scare-monger in from the MAGAt infested right. Please advise me which school system in Iowa teaches this “CRT” you fear so much?
What is important is that history be taught factually and honestly. There are some aspects of history which are truly embarrassing and honestly, racist. As long as “we” learn from history and make amends to past actions (where necessary) what is the harm? Often introducing the facts and pointing out these facts to students AND allowing them (not you!) to make value judgements is what is required if past actions are to be fully understood and modified.

Listening to Kimberly recite the talking points of the RNC and Republican Governor's Conference, it's pretty evident to me she probably wasn't the valedictorian of her high school graduating class.

What's amazing is her ability to tell the same lies and remember to tell them the same way every time.

What an amazing reincarnation of Terry Branstad.

Listening to Kimberly recite the talking points of the RNC and Republican Governor's Conference, it's pretty evident to me she probably wasn't the valedictorian of her high school graduating class.

What's amazing is her ability to tell the same lies and remember to tell them the same way every time.

What an amazing reincarnation of Terry Branstad.
She didn't graduate from college.

Same reason we decided not to allow slavery to be decided at the state level.

Reasonable argument,.. However the federal thumb has become far too large and none of the current topics equate to the level of slavery.

The way I said it originally before you bastardized it. Par for your course though I suppose.
But you didn't identify what wrong was being righted.

Is the reason you won't answer direct questions because you're a coward?

Reasonable argument,.. However the federal thumb has become far too large and none of the current topics equate to the level of slavery.
So you draw the line at slavery, that's where the Federal government laws should be in place. But for things like civil rights, no. Got it.

Unfortunately I think there are a lot of republicans just like you.

So you draw the line at slavery, that's where the Federal government laws should be in place. But for things like civil rights, no. Got it. Unfortunately I think there are a lot of republicans just like you.

Actually I don't believe I mentioned civil rights at all...

Most of this is likely just debate that won't change anybody's mind. Most of my family and many friends say they are glad Trump is not president and that he shouldn't have sent mean Tweets that got people upset. But in the end when I ask who they will vote for if he is the candidate, they say "Oh, I'm voting Republican no matter who it is, I hope it isn't Trump, but have to vote Republican after what these liberals have done to our country in less than two years." They will vote Republican across the board in all elections and say anyone basing their vote on abortion or similar issues are idiots. Several think Herschel Walker is much better than the other candidate for that seat.
Your family is breathtakingly clueless

This is woefully ignorant. SMFH

Wingnuts need:
a) a victim,
(b villain, and a
(c savior.

If you can't find or identify you create one, or all three. It's easy in the juvenile, pretend conspiracy world.

Actually I don't believe I mentioned civil rights at all...
It's the logical conclusion. You think slavery should be settled at the Federal level but other civil rights (ie interracial marriage, gay marriage, etc.) should be up to the states.

If the term civil rights is too broad, what other rights and/or issues do you think should be settled at the Federal level?

Just like abortion? Oops. Outside of Kansas, abortion laws went into affect without a single vote. You live in a political fantasyland.

Voters at the state level will obtain the laws they want,.. It will take some time and perhaps require the displacement of some non-cooperative state legislators.

Reactions: AreWeCross
Voters at the state level will obtain the laws they want,.. It will take some time and perhaps require the displacement of some non-cooperative state legislators.
Okay. So not determined by the voters in the state.

The question you keep avoiding is whether there are some laws that should not be left up to the states. That should be decided for the UNITED States as a whole. Or are you advocating for isolationism at the state level?

If states adopt a law that other states disagree with, can they be denied Federal funding?

I watched documentary on IPTV after the debate on Robert Ray (R). Kim has absolutely none of his qualities as governor.

She takes talking points from the RNC and MAGAS. Ray, as a Republican, chose to go against the grain.

Iowa desperately needs a Governor that is not tied to the party bylines.
Terry Branstad totally changed Iowa politics….and not for the better. He, more than any other Iowa politician, made politics tribal. Kim learned from the zen master.
Branstad followed 2 truly great leaders in Hughes and Ray and decided being a professional politician was his life…Vilsack and Culver gave Iowa a much needed break. Reynolds will stay in office until scandal or self-promotion takes her away.

Are there any topics you would support a national referendum?

Yes actually,.. Legislative issues where the federal government has defined responsibility,.. Immigration, border security,.. perhaps some limited foreign policy and military expenditure decisions.

Your family is breathtakingly clueless
Unfortunately, it is far more than just my family and friends. It is much of the country I think. I have one close friend who was as big a Democrat as I knew, voted for Obama twice, was quite active in politics. In the past couple years he has completely shifted and now votes Republican and just talks about how much the Dems have destroyed the economy and the country in two years. He says he won't be able to retire when he planned now, everything was great under Trump, now lives ruined.

Unfortunately, it is far more than just my family and friends. It is much of the country I think. I have one close friend who was as big a Democrat as I knew, voted for Obama twice, was quite active in politics. In the past couple years he has completely shifted and now votes Republican and just talks about how much the Dems have destroyed the economy and the country in two years. He says he won't be able to retire when he planned now, everything was great under Trump, now lives ruined.
No the majority of us spoke in 2020 and will again. Your family is clueless. No whataboutisms needed.

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT