ADVERTISEMENT

PD3 Interview

Anyone have a quick write-up for those that can't watch?
  • Perry told him WNO was not consistent with what HWC had in mind for him
  • When he couldn't wrestle at MD states his Senior season it turned out to be a blessing because he went to Florida, made new contacts and got exposed to Freestyle and all the avenues that could lead to
  • Loved his teammates at Fort Dodge JC
    • Bader thought the town was Dodge City
  • Said Paulson had no good reason to not let him wrestle
  • After taking 5th at trials he felt he needed to get in a better environment for training than just working on the farm
  • Iowa is the Mecca of wrestling and is the best place for him to get his best potential
  • Bader pressed him to admit that a lot of his social media problems are his own doing. He feels his posts aren't that outlandish.
  • He's walking around between 190 and 195; absolutely going 184
  • He's got a ton of good partners at HWC; goes from Bull to Bobby Telford
  • Grades are not an issue with eligibility
  • Expects to wrestle at Midlands
  • Feels he has unfinished business in wrestling, both college and freestyle level
  • He does have regrets. "Pat Downey has been Pat Downey's biggest enemy."
  • Parting words, "Don't take that Twitter too seriously -- that's not even me."
He also mentioned he's 25 years old, which is kind of astonishing. My son is a Senior and just turned 21 last week. 25? Holy Cow.

Was it him reportedly on his snapchat? I am all for the redemption story but come on.

Unfortunately I don't know much of the background here, and he wasn't always explicit in describing his thoughts, so I don't know about any of that.

Was it him reportedly on his snapchat? I am all for the redemption story but come on.

Yeah I was expecting better...he passed around a lot of blame. Paulson didn't let him wrestle because he didn't go to practice. Case closed on that decision.

Good to hear he's admitting that he has been his biggest problem and hopefully is working on not being so self destructive. Hopefully he cleans up his Twitter when he joins the team in January.

I heard him say ISU did him wrong, let out a big fart, and moved on from that. This guy is so full of it.

The only person he has to prove anything to is himself. I wish him well as he chases his goal. Having said that, it's too bad his father is such an insufferable douchebag.

I think the interview was inspiring he is pretty well spoken and seems intelligent and hopefully he puts his money where his mouth is because his mouth is saying all the right things right now. I am extremely excited to see How this turns out and how good he can be with the right environment and training
What makes you think that Nebraska or ISU was not a good or the right environment with good training?

Reactions: artradley
Not trolling here . . . but if I were a Hawk fan, I'd be bothered by his insistence on going 184. It's one thing for a half-season rental to force a guy like Wilcke up a weight when that same guy would be better served to wrestle his more natural weight (where, by the way, he is most likely to be in 2018-19, because of Warner). But it's really shitty if Downey blows up and gets the boot in Feb or early March. Instead of being jerked around for just a bad reason, Wilcke would be getting jerked around for no reason. Who then goes 184 for the postseason?

I would have a hard time as a coach allowing Downey to bump a guy like that for a short-term gain that has low odds of actually coming to fruition in the first place. Seriously, how do you look Wilcke in the eye if Downey pushes him to 197 and then flames out just before the postseason? A guy who is a returning starter who gave it his all and almost AA'd the previous year up a weight . . . who, up until a month ago, probably thought he could return to his natural weight and really shine for 2-3 years? And for what -- a 25-yr-old delinquent child who wants one last, desperate shot at collegiate glory for himself and his clan?

Sorry for the rant. For all I know, Wilcke hasn't had any intention of going 184 in college again . . . but if that's not the case, I'd have a hard time supporting Downey's wishes to dictate his weight class. He has not earned any loyalty. I believe Wilcke has.

Not trolling here . . . but if I were a Hawk fan, I'd be bothered by his insistence on going 184. It's one thing for a half-season rental to force a guy like Wilcke up a weight when that same guy would be better served to wrestle his more natural weight (where, by the way, he is most likely to be in 2018-19, because of Warner). But it's really shitty if Downey blows up and gets the boot in Feb or early March. Instead of being jerked around for just a bad reason, Wilcke would be getting jerked around for no reason. Who then goes 184 for the postseason?

I would have a hard time as a coach allowing Downey to bump a guy like that for a short-term gain that has low odds of actually coming to fruition in the first place. Seriously, how do you look Wilcke in the eye if Downey pushes him to 197 and then flames out just before the postseason? A guy who is a returning starter who gave it his all and almost AA'd the previous year up a weight . . . who, up until a month ago, probably thought he could return to his natural weight and really shine for 2-3 years? And for what -- a 25-yr-old delinquent child who wants one last, desperate shot at collegiate glory for himself and his clan?

Sorry for the rant. For all I know, Wilcke hasn't had any intention of going 184 in college again . . . but if that's not the case, I'd have a hard time supporting Downey's wishes to dictate his weight class. He has not earned any loyalty. I believe Wilcke has.

There are far more bothersome things than him wrestling 184. That's just icing on the cake.

You've got a whole boatload of conjecture there. You act as though Cash Wilcke was guaranteed a spot when he committed. I don't think that is true for anybody, you get what you earn.

As far as we know, the Coaches have had these discussions with Wilcke and others on the team, likely prior to allowing Downey to have a shot. They don't seem to be hell bent on forcing anybody to any specific weight class, and there are certainly times where I wish they would have encouraged it more.

You want a specific spot on the team, beat out whoever is there.

As my man Clint would say "deserveds got nothing to do with it".

You've got a whole boatload of conjecture there. You act as though Cash Wilcke was guaranteed a spot when he committed. I don't think that is true for anybody, you get what you earn.

As far as we know, the Coaches have had these discussions with Wilcke and others on the team, likely prior to allowing Downey to have a shot. They don't seem to be hell bent on forcing anybody to any specific weight class, and there are certainly times where I wish they would have encouraged it more.

You want a specific spot on the team, beat out whoever is there.

As my man Clint would say "deserveds got nothing to do with it".

I know the quote well, and my conjecture is more about whether a decent blueprint might have been crumpled up and thrown in the trash for a risk with little perceived benefit to the team. Under the circumstances I postulated, I actually do believe deserve's got something to do with it.

I can respect that you disagree, though, as I am speculating about some details. And I do not actually know what weight class Wilcke prefers in 2017-18. I was simply impressed with his effort last year and hope he doesn't get shafted come Feb/Mar because Downey goes off the deep end again -- after pushing Wilcke out of 184 (hypothetically speaking, of course).

I'm assuming whatever weight Wilcke was aiming for after the conclusion of Nationals last spring, it would have influenced his offseason lifting program. Would suck to find out a mere month or so ago that he should have been doing things differently.

Reactions: 24 so far
What makes you think that Nebraska or ISU was not a good or the right environment with good training?

ISU had a lot of problems under KJ. Guys missing weight, dudes not progressing...just seemed (and from what I heard) that there wasn’t a lot of discipline or oversight. With Nebby, that was the beginning of the train wreck...nothing on Manning’s part. I like the Nebby staff. Could very well happen with us too...The leash is short though.

Reactions: Grip220
Is Pat Downey's biggest enemy Pat Downey the dad or gramps? I can't keep up with this stuff.
Another PD2 gem from themat. Along with his reply to your post.

"Is Pat Downey's biggest enemy Pat Downey the dad or gramps? I can't keep up with this stuff.

I honestly feel for the Iowa coaches, and I'm sure they've learned not to read forums...but from everything I'v seen thus far, I would never want to be a part of it. This has nothing to do with the collegiate or senior level programs, but everything to do with the HR forum. You'll never have to worry about me signing up for this bull****. Peace.

"Daddy has stepped back...daddy is not on the HR...daddy has taken up for his boy since he was born and nothing will ever change. You blow hards will not get away with bashing my boy. My posts will not and cannot detract from his wrestling no more than can his own tweets. Get that through your thick headed skulls...there are only two entities that can beat PD3, and that is PD3 and The Lord. So, you can shoove all your good boy philosophy where the sun doesn't shine, because we don't give a $$$$".

Last edited:
You are obviously just looking to make an argument about the kids past. I never said he was not being trained properly or in the right environment what I did say is that currently he is training at the HWC and his head seems to be in the right spot what happened is in the Past so give the kid a chance. Frankly Im suprised at the lack of confidence in TNT and the rest of the co-coaching staff at the HWC there is a whole lot of skepticism on this board based on judging PD3 past and I would like to think that the coaches have gone through this thoroughly and they are willing to give him a shot so I for one would not be proud of what he has done in the past but would like to see him succeed in the future and being a Hawkeye

Reactions: anon_hc7hkvtk15hp5
You are obviously just looking to make an argument about the kids past. I never said he was not being trained properly or in the right environment what I did say is that currently he is training at the HWC and his head seems to be in the right spot what happened is in the Past so give the kid a chance. Frankly Im suprised at the lack of confidence in TNT and the rest of the co-coaching staff at the HWC there is a whole lot of skepticism on this board based on judging PD3 past and I would like to think that the coaches have gone through this thoroughly and they are willing to give him a shot so I for one would not be proud of what he has done in the past but would like to see him succeed in the future and being a Hawkeye

I think the problem is that the program is nowhere near where TnT hoped or expected it to be at this point in their coaching careers, which can lead people to abandon core principles out of desperation. IMO, if we were defending National Champs I can't help but think PD3 doesn't get a sniff of Carver even if we had a hole at 184.

I think the problem is that the program is nowhere near where TnT hoped or expected it to be at this point in their coaching careers, which can lead people to abandon core principles out of desperation. IMO, if we were defending National Champs I can't help but think PD3 doesn't get a sniff of Carver even if we had a hole at 184.
Yep I agree with you to a point I have always considered Iowa the blue collar bad a**es the offensive lineman of the ncaa wrestling world get up train hard go to work do your job Correctly then go home and be proud of doing your job the right way. Unfortunately times of changed people are changing and young recruits are not drawn to that type of atmosphere as much as they used to be. There is a lot in the wolrd that is messed up but taking this guy in and giving him a shot at getting straightened out is not one of them

Yep I agree with you to a point I have always considered Iowa the blue collar bad a**es the offensive lineman of the ncaa wrestling world get up train hard go to work do your job Correctly then go home and be proud of doing your job the right way. Unfortunately times of changed people are changing and young recruits are not drawn to that type of atmosphere as much as they used to be. There is a lot in the wolrd that is messed up but taking this guy in and giving him a shot at getting straightened out is not one of them

Fair enough. Certainly I'm hoping for the best. But based on the fact that he's 25 years old I'm not very optimistic that things are suddenly going to turn around at this point. Hopefully he proves people like you right and people like me wrong.

I can respect where you're coming from, particularly because the scenario of Downey never seeing the mat is plausible.

If Wilcke thinks he can be a force at 184 he should make the case. Part of it is up to Wilcke and part of it is up to Brands. Can Holloway make 197? If not, then it's wide open for Wilcke, whereas 184 may not be.

I'm not in favor of anointing a spot to someone based on loyalty and character. That's a good criteria for choosing a friend.

I also respect this opinion, and you may well be right, but to flip it around, the core principle we've abandoned is winning NCAA titles. Having everyone on the team be of exceptional moral character is a nice secondary principle.

I can respect where you're coming from, particularly because the scenario of Downey never seeing the mat is plausible.

If Wilcke thinks he can be a force at 184 he should make the case. Part of it is up to Wilcke and part of it is up to Brands. Can Holloway make 197? If not, then it's wide open for Wilcke, whereas 184 may not be.

I'm not in favor of anointing a spot to someone based on loyalty and character. That's a good criteria for choosing a friend.

I've always been on board with your last paragraph when all other things are equal. In this particular case, I just think one guy has a far different type of commitment to the program, which calls for a little more gray in an otherwise black-and-white perspective on how a guy makes the lineup.

I had been wondering about the impact on Holloway, too, but thought I read on here during the spring that he would not be seeing 197 again in his career. If I'm not remembering that correctly, and 197 is an option for him, it gets even more complicated.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I've always been on board with your last paragraph when all other things are equal. In this particular case, I just think one guy has a far different type of commitment to the program, which calls for a little more gray in an otherwise black-and-white perspective on how a guy makes the lineup.

I had been wondering about the impact on Holloway, too, but thought I read on here during the spring that he would not be seeing 197 again in his career. If I'm not remembering that correctly, and 197 is an option for him, it gets even more complicated.
Holloway weighed ~220 last year on full heavyweight feed. Making 197 isn't a matter of possibility, it's a matter of motivation.

Another PD2 gem from themat. Along with his reply to your post.

"Is Pat Downey's biggest enemy Pat Downey the dad or gramps? I can't keep up with this stuff.

I honestly feel for the Iowa coaches, and I'm sure they've learned not to read forums...but from everything I'v seen thus far, I would never want to be a part of it. This has nothing to do with the collegiate or senior level programs, but everything to do with the HR forum. You'll never have to worry about me signing up for this bull****. Peace.

"Daddy has stepped back...daddy is not on the HR...daddy has taken up for his boy since he was born and nothing will ever change. You blow hards will not get away with bashing my boy. My posts will not and cannot detract from his wrestling no more than can his own tweets. Get that through your thick headed skulls...there are only two entities that can beat PD3, and that is PD3 and The Lord. So, you can shoove all your good boy philosophy where the sun doesn't shine, because we don't give a $$$$".

If PD2 truly never makes an appearance here....I feel like this was all one big waste of time.

If PD2 truly never makes an appearance here....I feel like this was all one big waste of time.
Agree ... Lots of mental energy spent on something that's yet to come to fruition. Lots of naysayers projecting mental energy on a person they've never met and on a situation that has yet to play out ... If PD succeeds .. then all the power to him ...

PDIII making Carver his home...dang, that's gotta really irk some of you. AND then comes PDII struttin' to his VIP seats! I really do feel for you Hawkeyes. Hope it works out and he isn't a pollutant.

I am ready to give the mug a second chance. Many of us had the luxury of growing up without social media 24/7. Dan Gable was hardly a saint in Ames either. Luckily nobody took video of bar fights then.

Besides Downey tweeted out a video of him dunking a basketball recently. Pretty impressive for a wrestler if you ask me. I am ready to watch him dominate.

I know the quote well, and my conjecture is more about whether a decent blueprint might have been crumpled up and thrown in the trash for a risk with little perceived benefit to the team. Under the circumstances I postulated, I actually do believe deserve's got something to do with it.

I can respect that you disagree, though, as I am speculating about some details. And I do not actually know what weight class Wilcke prefers in 2017-18. I was simply impressed with his effort last year and hope he doesn't get shafted come Feb/Mar because Downey goes off the deep end again -- after pushing Wilcke out of 184 (hypothetically speaking, of course).

I'm assuming whatever weight Wilcke was aiming for after the conclusion of Nationals last spring, it would have influenced his offseason lifting program. Would suck to find out a mere month or so ago that he should have been doing things differently.
I do understand where you're coming from and I have empathy for those who fight the good fight and will never experience the limelight for whatever the reason. Life is hard that way sometimes.

Please keep in mind aside from the "Downey factor", Iowa's room is full of loyal and dedicated kids who won't ever get to experience what Cash Wilcke already has, and I would surmise that several have similar abilities.

As for Wilcke's weight room plans, I do indeed hope he had some, because I've already stated that I don't think that's been emphasized enough in the off-season to better balance our lineup where we have quality kids occupying similar weights and enter fall practice either at the same weight or undersized for the next weight up.

I think we've been very poor in that area, but that's just my opinion. Either way, I hope for the best for all of our guys, and that includes Pat Downey should he do all the necessary things to earn a spot as an Iowa Hawkeye wrestler.

Reactions: slushhead

I'm not bothered one bit by wilcke losing his spot, bc of he was better than pd3, he wouldn't be. I appreciate cash filling in at 97 for a year but pd3 wouldn't be here if TnT thought cash was the answer, now or in the future, at 184.

ADVERTISEMENT