ADVERTISEMENT

PD3 Wrestling

crablegs1

HR All-American
Feb 27, 2009
Now that it seems that PD3 coming here is a legit possibility, let's talk about what he brings to the team wrestling wise. Keep the off the mat stuff in the other thread.

Haught from VT is the highest returning placed at 197 (besides the favorite, Moore). Downey beat him for 5th the year prior. And with the people Downey beat this past spring, I think he is ranked #2 to start the season.

I also think he is a toss up with Moore. Moore's bronze at Junior Worlds was awfully impressive, but Downey got a silver like 5 years ago, and was very competitive on the senior level this year.

One thing is for sure, he will bring a lot of excitement to the matches.

Downey won't wrestle until 2nd semester, I doubt they have him in the rankings with 0 NCAA matches in 1 1/2 yrs.

Moore's a beast. If PD3 lives the life, anything is possible. But then again, anything is possible.

I would pencil him in as a finalist but IMO wont matter because he will be shown the Door by TnT before march. The way I am looking at it is the best thing is that Warner gets a very talented workout partner while he redshirts. Hopefully that longer than shorter.

I would like to see Chris Perry join HWC and work with Warner, Wilcke and hopefully Hidlay

Reactions: Huck and DirkTang1
Regardless of where he ends up, how does he stay in wrestling shape? Dresser won't let him in the door, and even if he were to finish online aren't his options limited?

Reactions: MogueHawk
I would pencil him in as a finalist but IMO wont matter because he will be shown the Door by TnT before march. The way I am looking at it is the best thing is that Warner gets a very talented workout partner while he redshirts. Hopefully that longer than shorter.

I would like to see Chris Perry join HWC and work with Warner, Wilcke and hopefully Hidlay

I would say the chances of that are about as close to ZERO as you can get. With Geurrero leaving I would say Chris will be firmly entrenched in Cowboy coaching for a long time.

He is very dangerous. Moore is good but can be too aggressive from what I saw. PD3 needs to work on his conditioning as Moore is an energizer bunny
Very good point. Will be a contrast in styles there for sure, and conditioning would play a huge part in that. That kind of aggression can play right into Downey's hands if Moore doesn't finish cleanly and Downey can pull him up into his overhooks.

Regardless of where he ends up, how does he stay in wrestling shape? Dresser won't let him in the door, and even if he were to finish online aren't his options limited?

He said on twitter he finished his ISU degree online this week (I believe)

Has he even been in Ames for the last several months? I thought I had heard he was somewhere in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin training with Ben Provisor?

Reactions: Huck
Has he even been in Ames for the last several months? I thought I had heard he was somewhere in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin training with Ben Provisor?

No. He's been back home in Maryland. Went back there after WTT

Reactions: witherman

Chris Perry is the next HC at Okie State

Downey vs Deron Winn at Who's number 1. That should be fun, I think downey tech's him.

IF pat joins the team he won't be able to maintain the shape necessary to endure the big 10 grind. Which, in turn, will lead to excuses, resentment within the team ranks, and social outcry. His father should make this board #1 most viewed though.

Wait, I thought the next time PD3 sees Deron Winn it's "hands on sight" as in "we are fighting" so how are they possibly going to wrestle if they just fought? Or is Downey just running his mouth on Twitter like usual?

Dude is a bear! 97 is his best chance. That PSU guy at 84 will take him down. I see him lacking focus and possibly losing to an under seed at 97 @Tens

Very good point. Will be a contrast in styles there for sure, and conditioning would play a huge part in that. That kind of aggression can play right into Downey's hands if Moore doesn't finish cleanly and Downey can pull him up into his overhooks.
Unless Moore takes a step back, not happening.

Thoughoughly disagree... A well conditioned and ready to go Downey pisses on Moore and anyone else in the field at '97.

Oh. I don't think that guy exists. That was part of my point.

BTW, a buddy of mine who sometimes gets good info says Downey to Iowa is now unlikely.
He just beat Gabe Dean. Unless you're saying Moore > Dean, then Downey can definitely beat Moore.

So apparently his schools are down to NDSU, Iowa, and Rutgers? I'm rooting for him to go to Rutgers for several reasons...

1. I DO NOT want to see him as a Hawkeye. Dude and his dad are both walking, talking, tweeting embarrassments.
2. If he goes to Rutgers, I'll get to see him compete against Moore at B1Gs.
3. If he and Suriano both wound up at Rutgers, that would be a very interesting team. A lineup that included Suriano, DelVecchio, Ashnault, VanBrill, Lewis, Gravina, and Downey could do some damage...

Reactions: andegre
Oh. I don't think that guy exists. That was part of my point.

BTW, a buddy of mine who sometimes gets good info says Downey to Iowa is now unlikely.

Yup... I hear his visit didn't go too well. Still lots of peeps that know more than I that still think it's a wrap.

When did he wrestle Dean in folkstyle?

Not sure why, but some people seem to ignore the fact Downey beat Dean in freestyle at 189 with day before weigh-in. That's much closer to the 197 weight class in folk. Downey would not of come close to beating Dean in a college match at 184. That being said, if he can keep his focus, Downey would be a contender at 197 at that's really where he should wrestle. I just don't think he's the kind of guy that can deal with a substantial cut for even 3 months.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT