ADVERTISEMENT

Peach wood smoked, brandy peach cobbler on the Weber Kettle with the Vortex accessory...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
My peach tree is overflowing with ripe peaches right now, so many that the squirrels can't even eat them all.

So I picked a batch and I'm making peach cobbler!

But not just any peach cobbler. This is a peach wood smoked, brandy peach cobbler!!!

I washed the peaches and sliced them up. No need to peel them. The skins will soften up just fine. Some brown sugar, some lemon juice, some corn starch, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little bit of brandy! Mixed that up and put it in a buttered cast iron skillet.

On to the cobbler: A cup of flour, 1/4 cup each of brown sugar and white sugar, some baking powder, and some nearly frozen tiny cubes of butter. Mix all that together and slowly incorporate milk until it gets sticky and crumbly. Spread that all over the peach mixture in the pan. Then a light spray of butter-flavored cooking oil and a dusting of cinnamon over the top. Beautiful!

Out on the kettle! I'm running between 350 and 375, with a chunk of peach wood for smoke.

My accessory of choice today is the Vortex set in the "volcano" configuration at the back of the kettle. The cast iron pan is on the indirect side. My hope is that all the heat is rolling down from the top of the dome instead of underneath or at the side of the pan. This should make the cobbler nice and brown.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
My peach tree is overflowing with ripe peaches right now, so many that the squirrels can't even eat them all.

But not just any peach cobbler. This is a peach wood smoked, brandy peach cobbler!!!

I washed the peaches and sliced them up. No need to peel them. The skins will soften up just fine. Some brown sugar, some lemon juice, some corn starch, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little bit of brandy! Mixed that up and put it in a buttered cast iron skillet.

On to the cobbler: A cup of flour, 1/4 cup each of brown sugar and white sugar, some baking powder, and some nearly frozen tiny cubes of butter. Mix all that together and slowly incorporate milk until it gets sticky and crumbly. Spread that all over the peach mixture in the pan. Then a light spray of butter-flavored cooking oil and a dusting of cinnamon over the top. Beautiful!

Out on the kettle! I'm running between 350 and 375 today, with a chunk of peach wood for smoke.

My accessory of choice today is the Vortex set in the "volcano" configuration at the back of the kettle. The cast iron pan is on the indirect side. My hope is that all the heat is rolling down from the top of the dome instead of underneath or at the side of the pan. This should make the cobbler nice and brown.

Wish me luck!
Not much of a dessert guy but that sounds fantastic. Post a pic of the final result.

What type of peach tree? I am in Hillsborough. Whichever variety you have should do well here.

Out on the kettle! I'm running between 350 and 375, with a chunk of peach wood for smoke.

Wish me luck!
Sounds good. Post photos when done as I’d like to see it.

What type of peach tree? I am in Hillsborough. Whichever variety you have should do well here.

Now THAT is a good question.

I ordered a white-fleshed variety and when it fruited, the flesh was yellow. So I don't know what the hell it is, but it produces like crazy. My best guess is they sent me a Tropic Beauty.

I already had a FlordaPrince and a UFO tree and neither of them did anything and they eventually became smoker wood.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Now THAT is a good question.

I ordered a white-fleshed variety and when it fruited, the flesh was yellow. So I don't know what the hell it is, but it produces like crazy. My best guess is they sent me a Tropic Beauty.

I already had a FlordaPrince and a UFO tree and neither of them did anything and they eventually became smoker wood.

Do you remember where you bought it?

Okay, so this took about an hour. I opened the vents all the way up for the last 10 minutes to get the top good and toasty.

Here she is:

kObBQgV.jpg

Damn, y'all. This was freaking awesome. You can definitely taste the smoke and the brandy took it to the next level.

It's like a rich bass tone that balances all the highs from the sweet. Really, really rich with so many different notes of flavor.

A real masterpiece. Wish y'all were here to try it.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
ADVERTISEMENT