ADVERTISEMENT

Peaking To Avoid Burnout

Nov 20, 2019

I knew this guy back in the day, he was a pretty good fellow.

Reactions: el dub
A off day is important. Coaches need to get away from this mentality that a off day means on your own . Basically coaches are saying it's an off day but it's not really off do something on your own . We want to see you in the room working on something. That mentality is hurting guys off should mean off. Rest and recovery is important.

Did a lot of keg lifting back in college, never got burned out.
There's something to training with odd shaped objects that seems to help prevent it. I'd guess it's the tonnage is under control and the weights are controlled. Think of guys tossing hay bales or working at a sawmill.

Reactions: el dub
Pretty solid post. There are so many problems that the sport of wrestling presents. The author brought up shoulder and knee injuries. These are #1 and #2 on the list. EVERY wrestler should be weakring neoprene knee sleeves. This will help protect the knees. There is no such answer for the shoulders.

Wrestlers have the most injuries per capita, a lot of this is unavoidable. As he says, lifting and getting stronger will help. Trying to TRAIN through wrestling with weights is very tough. If the team has the proper coaching, it can be done, but I have seen no way to do it if not done "in house."

Problem is, practices need to be set up in a way where you incorporate the strength training into the conditioning part. Without cycling the weight training into the conditioning it becomes impossible to add in without high risk of overtraining. Also pointed out by author was how the practices themselves need to be cycle. Most coaches have no idea when it comes to this.

I wrote an article on conditioning, maybe I will try and post if I can figure out how. The main point is, most teams seem to just condition in the room. This is usually jogging around, doing push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, sprints etc... The coaches need to vary it. Running stairs was always and easy and great way to change it up when I was coaching and training.

He also talks about how long the season is and the year round competitions. Obviously if you are competing/training year round. The ware and tare on the body is much greater. I would cut back both in and out of season competitions. Stick to mostly drilling and learning/improving technique. Set up a schedule where you go to only a few off season tournaments per year.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

I knew this guy back in the day, he was a pretty good fellow.
Great article.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT