ADVERTISEMENT

Pediatricians call for in person school this fall

haw-key

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2011
Probably could have put this in the off topic board as well...

U.S. Pediatricians Call For In-Person School This Fall
June 29, 202012:33 PM ET
ANYA KAMENETZ

Ross D. Franklin/AP
The nation's pediatricians have come out with a strong statement in favor of bringing children back to the classroom this fall wherever and whenever they can do so safely. The American Academy of Pediatrics' guidance "strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school."

The guidance says "schools are fundamental to child and adolescent development and well-being."

The AAP cites "mounting evidence" that transmission of the coronavirus by young children is uncommon, partly because they are less likely to contract it in the first place.

On the other hand, the AAP argues that based on the nation's experience this spring, remote learning is likely to result in severe learning loss and increased social isolation. Social isolation, in turn, can breed serious social, emotional and health issues: "child and adolescent physical or sexual abuse, substance use, depression, and suicidal ideation." Furthermore, these impacts will be visited more severely on Black and brown children, as well as low-income children and those with learning disabilities.

The guidance for returning to in-person schooling includes recommendations about physical distancing, cleaning and disinfection, hand-washing, and using outdoor spaces whenever possible.

The AAP argues that offering elementary school children the opportunity to go to school every day should be given due consideration over spacing guidelines if capacity is an issue: "Schools should weigh the benefits of strict adherence to a 6-feet spacing rule between students with the potential downside if remote learning is the only alternative."

And, it also argues that masks are probably not practical for children younger than middle school unless they can wear a mask without increased face touching.

The guidelines do note that adult school staff are more at risk compared to young children and need to be able to distance from other adults as much as possible — no in-person faculty meetings, no class visits by parents. And they emphasize the need to make accommodations for students who are medically fragile or have special health care needs or disabilities.

However, these guidelines don't necessarily address the health concerns of America's teachers or their willingness to return to in-person teaching. Federal data show nearly a third of teachers are over 50, putting them in a higher risk category when it comes to the disease.

Fairfax County Public Schools in Virginia, for example, recently announced its reopening plans, offering families a choice between two days a week of in-person classes or an all-remote schedule plus extra intervention on a third day for students who need it. The county's three educator unions resisted, arguing in a statement that remote learning should continue. "Our educators are overwhelmingly not comfortable returning to schools," said Tina Williams, president of Fairfax County Federation of Teachers. "They fear for their lives, the lives of their students and the lives of their families."

Last edited:

ANYA KAMENETZ

Ross D. Franklin/AP
The nation's pediatricians have come out with a strong statement in favor of bringing children back to the classroom this fall wherever and whenever they can do so safely. The American Academy of Pediatrics' guidance "strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school."

The guidance says "schools are fundamental to child and adolescent development and well-being."

The AAP cites "mounting evidence" that transmission of the coronavirus by young children is uncommon, partly because they are less likely to contract it in the first place.

On the other hand, the AAP argues that based on the nation's experience this spring, remote learning is likely to result in severe learning loss and increased social isolation. Social isolation, in turn, can breed serious social, emotional and health issues: "child and adolescent physical or sexual abuse, substance use, depression, and suicidal ideation." Furthermore, these impacts will be visited more severely on Black and brown children, as well as low-income children and those with learning disabilities.

The guidance for returning to in-person schooling includes recommendations about physical distancing, cleaning and disinfection, hand-washing, and using outdoor spaces whenever possible.

The AAP argues that offering elementary school children the opportunity to go to school every day should be given due consideration over spacing guidelines if capacity is an issue: "Schools should weigh the benefits of strict adherence to a 6-feet spacing rule between students with the potential downside if remote learning is the only alternative."

And, it also argues that masks are probably not practical for children younger than middle school unless they can wear a mask without increased face touching.

The guidelines do note that adult school staff are more at risk compared to young children and need to be able to distance from other adults as much as possible — no in-person faculty meetings, no class visits by parents. And they emphasize the need to make accommodations for students who are medically fragile or have special health care needs or disabilities.

However, these guidelines don't necessarily address the health concerns of America's teachers or their willingness to return to in-person teaching. Federal data show nearly a third of teachers are over 50, putting them in a higher risk category when it comes to the disease.

Fairfax County Public Schools in Virginia, for example, recently announced its reopening plans, offering families a choice between two days a week of in-person classes or an all-remote schedule plus extra intervention on a third day for students who need it. The county's three educator unions resisted, arguing in a statement that remote learning should continue. "Our educators are overwhelmingly not comfortable returning to schools," said Tina Williams, president of Fairfax County Federation of Teachers. "They fear for their lives, the lives of their students and the lives of their families."
In before Joe’s Place informs you that the AAP is a bunch of anti-science whack jobs. :rolleyes:

They have to figure it out somehow. We can’t have a generation of kids with a subpar chunk of up to a year in their education baseline.

It is definitely not good but I would rather take the year of no education than another 100 - 200k of people dying.

It is definitely not good but I would rather take the year of no education than another 100 - 200k of people dying.

Sure. The AAP come out with a policy recommendation where, in its formulation, they completely forgot about the deaths variable. Smh.

Could it be more accurate that they suspect that given the current pediatric infection rate and transmission issues suspected in children to adults, that they decided that the return to school plan wouldn't cause a significant increase in deaths when weighed against the negatives?

In other news CNN has just netted its best ratings in 40 years and has had 190% jump in viewership since COVID started. So, regardless of the data, you can expect them to continue to scare the shit out of everyone into staying home forever. We should do what they say instead.

AAP recommending kids go to school. Next thing you know they will want those kids to have vaccinations and eat vegetables.
I’ve seen my kids’ lunches: technically, Mike & Ike’s smothered in ketchup counts as a serving of vegetables. :p

Reactions: UKGrad93
In before Joe’s Place informs you that the AAP is a bunch of anti-science whack jobs. :rolleyes:

The key phrase there is, "where it can be done safely". It's not a shocker that anyone would say that in person school should be in place where it is safe.

Reactions: billanole
Sure. The AAP come out with a policy recommendation where, in its formulation, they completely forgot about the deaths variable. Smh.

Could it be more accurate that they suspect that given the current pediatric infection rate and transmission issues suspected in children to adults, that they decided that the return to school plan wouldn't cause a significant increase in deaths when weighed against the negatives?

Im guessing the infection rate of children is vastly underestimated because of their mild symptoms. That is what concerns me.

Im guessing the infection rate of children is vastly underestimated because of their mild symptoms. That is what concerns me.
The key phrase there is, "where it can be done safely". It's not a shocker that anyone would say that in person school should be in place where it is safe.
I think statistically children are more likely to get shot at school than die of Coronavirus.

I would bet there’s gonna be a graph that shows direct correlation between the kids’ time spent at home during this crisis to the spike in pre-diabetes many will have due to the extensive period of inactivity.

It’s all bad. This sucks.

@haw-key is the biggest punk coward sissyassmotherfùcker in this dumbass place.

Now that we’ve established that... I wonder what this same organization has to say about babysitting-by-device and social media and shit like that?

@haw-key is such a sad turd of a man.

Reactions: noleclone2

No, our friend Joe will point out that there's a 1,000 percent increase in this incredibly rare childhood disease syndrome that's associated with COVID and 0.0000000042 of American children have come down with this disease that no one has ever heard of.

Did you catch @haw-key screwing your dog I'm mean your daughter again?
Nah. Dude just invents his reality got busted on it and rather than just admit it and show humility he Trumped. That shit is the worst, man.

Like Richard Pryor said, “A lie is profanity. A lie is the worst thing in the world. Art is the ability to tell the truth.”

Dude is a full blown full of shit liar coward piece of shit.

Nah. Dude just invents his reality got busted on it and rather than just admit it and show humility he Trumped. That shit is the worst, man.

Like Richard Pryor said, “A lie is profanity. A lie is the worst thing in the world. Art is the ability to tell the truth.”

Dude is a full blown full of shit liar coward piece of shit.
Well everyone has to be something. Hopefully he's good at it.

Reactions: Rudolph

ANYA KAMENETZ

Ross D. Franklin/AP

The nation's pediatricians have come out with a strong statement in favor of bringing children back to the classroom this fall wherever and whenever they can do so safely.

I have no problem with this.

Reactions: ironside1
Yes I agree. But there has been a serious question, look it up, whether kids can/do transmit this TO adults. Seems odd I agree but this is an interesting concept that plays a big role if it turns out that child to adult transmission is rare.

They have to figure it out somehow. We can’t have a generation of kids with a subpar chunk of up to a year in their education baseline.

Not to mention PTSD. Our panic is doubtlessly scarring an entire generation.

First, schools will not be the cause off 100k in deaths.

Second, you are pretty casual about throwing an entire generation of children under the bus - not to mention the cascading societal misery and unemployment that goes with that. Pretty damn heartless and short sighted.

I think statistically children are more likely to get shot at school than die of Coronavirus.

High school and college aged kids are more likely to commit suicide than die of Covid19. But, hey, let’s refuse to let them go to school and socialize so they don’t spread the disease to their grandparents. That will be healthy for them.

Pediatricians also recommend IEPs and 504s to families without even knowing what in the hell they’re talking about. So they might be experts but not necessarily when it comes to what happens in schools.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Seems reasonable to me. The leave a caveat in there basically for unless your local area is majorly struggling. Also worth pointing out recommending masks under certain situations. The horror.

I don’t think their proposal is unreasonable. Kids need structure, nutrition, exercise and perhaps most importantly the social aspects of school. If the last 4 months is any indication,
parents are not going to isolate their kids for a school year anyway. So one way or the other the kids are going to be together. This way allows for some control over interaction (I hope).

Now when an area is in an outbreak I would favor temporarily shutting the schools in that area to bring things back under control. Also, we should require masks for middle school and above and social distancing to the greatest degree possible.

I am not sure what to do about teachers age 50+, especially those with co morbidities. Not sure there are good answers here, but we have to do something.

Yes I agree. But there has been a serious question, look it up, whether kids can/do transmit this TO adults. Seems odd I agree but this is an interesting concept that plays a big role if it turns out that child to adult transmission is rare.

So what you’re saying is we really don’t know what’s going to happen.

I don’t think their proposal is unreasonable. Kids need structure, nutrition, exercise and perhaps most importantly the social aspects of school. If the last 4 months is any indication,
parents are not going to isolate their kids for a school year anyway. So one way or the other the kids are going to be together. This way allows for some control over interaction (I hope).

Now when an area is in an outbreak I would favor temporarily shutting the schools in that area to bring things back under control. Also, we should require masks for middle school and above and social distancing to the greatest degree possible.

I am not sure what to do about teachers age 50+, especially those with co morbidities. Not sure there are good answers here, but we have to do something.

For middle school and up I don’t think it’s difficult for teachers to maintain distance.

For elementary school, it would probably be better to pay the at-risk teachers to sit out the year than to tell the millions of children to sit out.

Any way you slice it, unemployment among teachers is going to be massive, so there will be a pool of available replacements.

Reactions: UKGrad93
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT