ADVERTISEMENT

Pedro Grifol reportedly will be the new Chicago White Sox manager, joining from the Kansas City Royals

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Pedro Grifol has been involved in trying to beat the Chicago White Sox, most recently as the Kansas City Royals bench coach.

He’ll have the chance to try to lead the Sox back to the playoffs after reportedly being their choice, according to reports Tuesday. ESPN’s Buster Olney was first with the news.

Grifol, who turns 53 on Nov. 28, takes over after Hall of Famer Tony La Russa announced Oct. 3 that he would not be returning because of health issues.

La Russa was tasked with guiding a talented young team to the next level when he took over following the 2020 season.

The Sox finished first in the American League Central in 2021, but won just one game in their division series against the Houston Astros. The Sox missed the playoffs in 2022, finishing 81-81.

They’ll look to bounce back under Grifol, who has spent the last 10 years in the Royals organization.

He was a special assignment coach in 2013, the hitting coach in 2013-14, the catching coach from 2014-17 and the quality control/catching coach in 2018-19 before becoming the bench coach in 2020.

Grifol originally joined the Royals as the hitting coach for the team’s rookie club in Surprise, Ariz., in 2013 after 13 seasons with the Seattle Mariners organization.

[ [Don’t miss] Column: So many ‘what ifs’ in a disappointing Chicago White Sox season, but a new manager can do only so much ]

His roles with that franchise included managing in Class short-A in 2003-05 and high-A in 2012. He was on Seattle’s major-league coaching staff in 2010.

Grifol managed Cardenales de Lara in the Venezuelan Winter League for three seasons (2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13) and San Francisco de Macorís in the Dominican Winter League for one season (2018-19).

He has an opportunity to get the Sox going in the right direction.

Clevinger’s ex is going to be live on The Score in five minutes…. This could be interesting
Oh, I must missed that. I was listening earlier today.
The Sox didn't really do much checking on him, did they? Now they are trying to figure out how to message their way out of a PR disaster.

Oh, I must missed that. I was listening earlier today.
The Sox didn't really do much checking on him, did they? Now they are trying to figure out how to message their way out of a PR disaster.
Listen to it on Audacity… it was quite the interview.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT