Name: Noah Clayberg
High School: Pella
Position: Safety
Graduation Year: 2016
Height: 5-foot-11
Weight: 200 pounds
Video: Hudl

Q: What really sold you on Iowa?

CLAYBERG: "I've always been a fan of Iowa. I was just weighing the pros and cons of what I want my college future to look like. When I got on campus, it was real clear that this is what I wanted to do. After talking with the coaches, I didn't have any more questions. I thought to myself, why wouldn't I take this great opportunity to play for a great team with great coaches, great players, and great facilities."

Q: What were your biggest questions marks going in?

CLAYBERG: "I guess the first was going to a school like that if you'll cut it or not. I am beginning to realize that the coaches have confidence in me and know that I am willing to put in the work. I know I'll give it my best shot and I will be happy with that decision. I think I can play at this level. There is lots of learning and coaches that will happen but I know it'll turn out well."

Q: After they offered a grayshirt, were you still up in the air on a decision?

CLAYBERG: "A little bit because I wouldn’t be able to join the team until next January unless someone decommits. I couldn’t come to fall camp or workout with the guys or be coached. It would all be on my own. It'd be more difficult but it'd be beneficial with more eligibility. That part is set in stone and I'm really grateful for that."

Q: What other schools were in play?

CLAYBERG: "I truly was weighing some of the FCS scholarships and I honestly thought he was going to say preferred walk-on. I didn't realize grayshirt was an option but it seemed like a great option. I'll be coming in with the Class of 2017 so I am really happy with that. I made the decision and it is a big weight off of my shoulders."

Q: What did they say about your college position?

CLAYBERG: "They have pretty much said that safety is probably what it looks like right now but they are not totally opposed to something on offense. I'll be starting at safety. If they ever want me to try out at offense, I'd be open to it but safety is probably my best bet in the future."

Q: How was your official over the weekend?

CLAYBERG: "It was really good. It was everything I hoped it'd be. They took really good care of us and treated us well. it was fun to see Garret (Jansen) and some of the other guys up there. You get to see everything first hand and it was really cool. It was a great trip."

Q: What was your favorite part of the trip?

CLAYBERG: "I think my favorite part was the 1-on-1s with the coaches. You really got to get a feel for how they run things. I guess I liked it so much because all of the things that they said are what I like as well. That is a big part of why I wanted to go there."

Q: What did you learn from the players or coaches?

CLAYBERG: "I talked to Matt VandeBerg,a starting receiver for them, and he said he was actually offered a grayshirt. Ht was able to get on the team before fall camp early. They said that every grayshirt that Iowa has given out ended up getting on the team before fall camp. That made it a little more exciting but I was going to do it anyways. It is nothing guaranteed but there is a chance of that happening."

Q: What did the coaches say about you as a player?

CLAYBERG: "They compare me a lot as a player to Tyler Sash. They see a lot of the same attributes in him as me. They think very highly of myself and my parents. They think that they'll be able to transfer me into a real good player there. I'm ready to learn and work. I can't wait."

Q: What was the reaction from their coaches when you committed?

CLAYBERG: "They said they were thrilled. I talked to multiple different coaches to let them know what I was thinking. I told Coach Ferentz and he was definitely happy for me. He made me feel welcomed and good about that."

Q: Your high school coach has mentioned that you have really focused on your nutrition for peak performance. What is the most unique thing you have done with improving nutrition?

CLAYBERG: "I really stay away from desserts, ice cream, brownies, candy, pop, and things like that. I haven't had any of that stuff in two years. I don't plan on doing that until I'm done with college football."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News