Name: Austin Schulte
High School: Pella
Position: Defensive End
Graduation Year: 2016
Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 230 pounds
Video: Hudl

Q: How did your trip go to Iowa?

SCHULTE: It was awesome, a great experience. It was nice to get up there with all the guys and get to know them more before we show up on campus next summer.

Q: What did you have an opportunity to do while on campus?

SCHULTE: Friday night we ate the at the Iowa River Power Company. That was the only thing that we did the first night. The next day we ate breakfast at the Marriott. We saw where the guys stay for their camp and before games. Then we toured the learning center and they gave us academics presentations there. We toured the football facilities and the game day locker room.

Q: What was your favorite part of the weekend?

SCHULTE: They did a players' panel with five guys when we were touring the football facilities. It was great asking questions and them telling us about their experience along with what we can look forward to in the future.

Q: What did you learn from the panel?

SCHULTE: It was just that the coaches are real. They do not hide anything from you. They won't lie to you and will tell you exactly what you need to work on. Everyone on the staff is genuine.

Q: Did you come away more confident about your commitment after the visit?

SCHULTE: Every time I go there I feel better and better about it. It was nice getting a chance to improve my relationships with the coaches and my future classmates. It just gets better and better.

Q: Who was your host?

SCHULTE: Garret Jansen.

Q: What did you think when your teammate, Noah Clayberg, committed to Iowa?

SCHULTE: I was pumped. I knew the last couple months have been rough for him with recruiting and everything. I think he is confident in his decision. It will be awesome to have two of my high school teammates still playing with me.

Q: When they offered the grayshirt, did you feel it was just a matter of time before he picked Iowa?

SCHULTE: Yeah I did. I knew he really liked it up at Iowa. Since Garret and I were going there, I knew he'd make the right decision.

Q: What did the coaches say about you coming back from injury and getting on campus?

SCHULTE: They told me that it'll be a big learning curve since I haven't played the position. You'll have to work hard but we know you'll be successful there.

Q: How does the knee feel now?

SCHULTE: Really well. I'm about four months out after surgery and about a month, a month and a half ahead of schedule. Everything is going well.

Q: What have the coaches done with following up on the rehab?

SCHULTE: I met with Coach Doyle and he has talked with my physical therapist, Patrick Dooley. He sends videos of stuff I do to Coach Doyle and they communicate. He knows what is going on. He said I am about as far along as guys would be if the same thing happened at Iowa. It is going well.

Q: When are you going to be cleared?

SCHULTE: I should be cleared to play sports against at the six month mark so it will be the end of February, early March. We'll test it again to see if I can get cleared to do track.

Q: Are you trying to get back for track?

SCHULTE: I want to get back into competing and stuff.

Q: What did the other coaches say during the trip?

SCHULTE: I met with Coach Ferentz and Coach Morgan last Monday and they basically said the same thing. They said to enjoy high school and don't wish it away but to be excited to come up here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News