ADVERTISEMENT

Pemsl Appreciation

oldnewkirk.0

HR All-State
Oct 4, 2019
If we can get that type of production from Pemsl or anything similar to it we're in business, especially with the return of CJ on the horizon. Having another serviceable big to take some pressure off of Garza and Kreiner is huge. 9 pts 8 rebounds and a competitive demeanor. Completely different look from the Pemsl who's looked timid and sloppy with the ball much of the year.

Don't forget that:

* He may have cost us the game at IU since he was not available/suspended/watching at home.

* He's had two suspensions in one year. C'mon, man. He's a 4th year guy. He's not a dumb freshman any more.

If this sounds harsh, just imagine the words Fran used when he met with CP after his most recent arrest.

Don't forget that:

* He may have cost us the game at IU since he was not available/suspended/watching at home.

* He's had two suspensions in one year. C'mon, man. He's a 4th year guy. He's not a dumb freshman any more.

If this sounds harsh, just imagine the words Fran used when he met with CP after his most recent arrest.

Pemsl's last incident was very minor. Way overblown. It's driving on a frickin suspended license. Who gives a F.... NOW, if you want to talk about being drunk at 3am and smashing the AD's car into a telephone pole, I'll listen. ;)

But since you brought it up, I bet Fran was more pissed that he was eating sh!t food from Poisons, then driving! That McDonald's crap does not belong in any human, let alone one that is playing high level basketball for a major university!!!

Don't forget that:

Perhaps you've missed the point of this thread. I never mentioned his poor decisions and mistakes that may or may not have negatively affected this team.I'm in agreement that they were selfish and stupid. However, I'm looking towards the rest of the season and the tournament. We need him to be able to step up and alleviate the pressure on Kreiner and Garza, especially if fouls become an issue. If we can get this type of production out of him we're that much more dangerous. Are you insinuating that the fans should just be down on him for his past mistakes? I'm glad Pemsl has continued to work and is playing his best basketball of the season rather than having the mindset that his mistakes outweigh his ability to contribute to the team.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Don't forget that:

This is a legitimate criticism.

Most of the shit that gets posted against him is not.

Pemsl made some fabulous moves tonight along with playing good D and grabbing 8 big rebounds. How about giving the young man a break. I mean, look around. Lots of 50, 60, and 70-year-olds are making far, far worse decisions than young Cordell . . . and they're in positions that carry a bit more responsibility than college basketball player.

With CJ out CP has been given the opportunity to see more minutes which can allow a player to get in the flow a lot better. He hasn't had to look over his shoulder over every mistake, looking for a sub. This can allow a player to relax and focus on the game. He's definitely built up the confidence he's been missing.

Absolutely. I’ve always rooted for Pemsl and it’s not always the easy route. These last couple of games have brought him back a long ways to making things right with his team. From everything thing I’ve heard, Pemsl has always been well liked amongst the team. I wish him nothing but best whatever he does. Hopefully that’s get more W’s for the Hawks.

Pemsl made some fabulous moves tonight along with playing good D and grabbing 8 big rebounds. How about giving the young man a break. I mean, look around. Lots of 50, 60, and 70-year-olds are making far, far worse decisions than young Cordell . . . and they're in positions that carry a bit more responsibility than college basketball player.
I didn't think we were suppose to talk politics and politicians on this board.:rolleyes::p

I've posted on here that Pemsl wasn't that good. But if he keeps going to the basket like he did tonight then I'll have to retract my statements. He looked really good tonight. Way to go...

how many initial "what the bleep were you thinking" do you think he heard from coaches and teammates?

And again:

* His license is suspended for what again? another bad decision.

* Oh, and your tail light is out, and not a problem, because Iowa City cops won't notice? Can you imagine what Fran said to him?

I wonder if CP Is out of strikes and the next one he is out.

I cannot recall an Iowa player being suspended on 2 separate occasions (where he missed games both times) in the same season. It's some really bad decision making, to put it mildly, from a 4th year guy.

Occam's razor might explain the improvement in Cordell's recent play.

The kid looked good as a fresh and soph. It could be as simple as the time its taking Cordell to recover basketball skills and easier and more natural movement.

Huge space invader, gets good rebounding position, feeds Luka. If he adds a little scoring punch on a regular basis Iowa become a much tougher out.

I really liked his decisiveness on offense, agree that exactly what we need from him. Seemed to pass better as well, not push it as much into traffic.

Reactions: oldnewkirk.0
Not to get all political but ...

You don't want to pay a subway toll? Don't. You don't want to pay for that $499 of merchandise. Don't. You want to drive but your license has been suspended for endangering others' lives by OWI. Go for it!

There's a movement afoot which defies common sense to decriminalize a lot of dumb/bad crap.

Driving with a suspended license IS NOT a small deal.

/rant

And sometimes, some people need something like this (suspension) to happen to get them to focus on what is important. Maybe this was the kick in the butt he needed to get serious and not lose the right to play basketball.

Rooting for him ... and the Hawks. :)

I think it's primarily been the additional minutes that's been helping Cordell's game,.. needed to regain some confidence...

Reactions: garberhawkeye
I don't know if CP is just feeling better health wise tonight or not; but, he looked like he could really play ball.
Loved it, after he scored on his one take to the basket there was a timeout. He and CMac were chest bumping, and you could literally lip read Pemsl say to Connor, "I'M BACK, I"M BACK!" Felt really good for the kid after what he's been through the last few years. He looked like his freshman self again....

Loved it, after he scored on his one take to the basket there was a timeout. He and CMac were chest bumping, and you could literally lip read Pemsl say to Connor, "I'M BACK, I"M BACK!" Felt really good for the kid after what he's been through the last few years. He looked like his freshman self again....

That wasn't just for Connor's ears.. Cordell was yelling to the Iowa bench...

Not to get all political but ...

You don't want to pay a subway toll? Don't. You don't want to pay for that $499 of merchandise. Don't. You want to drive but your license has been suspended for endangering others' lives by OWI. Go for it!

There's a movement afoot which defies common sense to decriminalize a lot of dumb/bad crap.

Driving with a suspended license IS NOT a small deal.

/rant
So much this.
The vast vast majority of people that drive on suspended or revoked licenses are habitual offenders that do it over and over and over again. Cordell is just at the beginning of that having an OWI, and then driving suspended. I don't dislike the guy, I'm not mad at him, I don't have anything bad to say about him. In fact I think he's a pretty good guy that has just made some stupid mistakes and decisions. However, the driving while revoked or suspended group tends to be a group of people that do it over and over and over again with very little consequences. Those people raise our insurance prices, they raise the cost of fines and tickets, and they raise the cost of many other things. We all end up footing the bill for them. What happens when a suspended driver gets in an accident? They don't have insurance so guess who gets to foot the bill. It is not that the individual instance is a horrible thing or that Cordell is a horrible person, but to say anything other than it's pretty concerning is pretty ignorant.

That video is great!!!! Thanks for posting.

If Cordell is truly back Iowa will keep the lost post pressure hammering our adversaries for a solid 40 minutes. He showed some nice moves last night; reminiscent of the freshman that led the B!G in FG %-only a lot bigger.

Don't forget that:

Jfc.

Reactions: CuttyDoesIt
So much this.
The vast vast majority of people that drive on suspended or revoked licenses are habitual offenders that do it over and over and over again. Cordell is just at the beginning of that having an OWI, and then driving suspended. I don't dislike the guy, I'm not mad at him, I don't have anything bad to say about him. In fact I think he's a pretty good guy that has just made some stupid mistakes and decisions. However, the driving while revoked or suspended group tends to be a group of people that do it over and over and over again with very little consequences. Those people raise our insurance prices, they raise the cost of fines and tickets, and they raise the cost of many other things. We all end up footing the bill for them. What happens when a suspended driver gets in an accident? They don't have insurance so guess who gets to foot the bill. It is not that the individual instance is a horrible thing or that Cordell is a horrible person, but to say anything other than it's pretty concerning is pretty ignorant.
That’s a pretty wide seeping ignorant response. He’s 22 years old. Let’s not write off our youth because they f up a couple of times.

Don't forget that:

I don't forget that, but I also don't forget that this is a team missing JBo, Nunge, PMac and Frederick. They need whatever they can get wherever they can get it. Hopefully Pemsl keeps his crap together the rest of the year.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Occam's razor might explain the improvement in Cordell's recent play.

The kid looked good as a fresh and soph. It could be as simple as the time its taking Cordell to recover basketball skills and easier and more natural movement.

Huge space invader, gets good rebounding position, feeds Luka. If he adds a little scoring punch on a regular basis Iowa become a much tougher out.

Actually I think that the starters got out so hot with a huge lead yesterday that the bench guys felt zero pressure when they came in and this is what you get as a result.

He's paid for his mistakes. Last night was a great flash. I still wonder what he could have been if he'd have been healthy from HS on. He's had some amazing stretches even as it is.

So much this.
Meanwhile...
One study by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) concluded that texting while driving is six times more dangerous than driving while intoxicated. Other studies have found similar results. Multiple tests have found that drivers in the act of texting had significantly slower reaction times than those who were intoxicated. One study stated that texting drivers react 23 percent slower than intoxicated drivers do.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Ten years from now Pemsyl and Kriener will be sitting at a bar. Both with a glass of bourbon (neat) in front of them. And some 23 year old hot head will start running his mouth at the bartender. CP will grab his wrist and squeeze it. And he’ll whisper: Not in my bar.

ADVERTISEMENT