ADVERTISEMENT

Pemsl arrested

It blows me away how dumb people can be. If you are going to drive without a license at least make sure all your lights work and there is nothing else wrong that can give reason to getting pulled over. It's like all the times people with drugs in the car get caught for speeding or running a red light/stop sign.

The driving while revoked issue was because of a more serious issue of him being on probation for a OWI in September. Did anyone hear about that? And, just how stupid does someone have to be to drive a car with a busted taillight while your license is revoked and you're on probation for OWI? The team would suffer far more from his absence than he would if he was dismissed now. I wouldn't want to see that happen, but I'm guessing that he will not be back next year.

Always smart to drive a vehicle that has broken something to make it easy to get pulled over. I’ve known people get pulled over for license plate light out and have to go through sobriety tests.

The driving while revoked issue was because of a more serious issue of him being on probation for a OWI in September. Did anyone hear about that? And, just how stupid does someone have to be to drive a car with a busted taillight while your license is revoked and you're on probation for OWI? The team would suffer far more from his absence than he would if he was dismissed now. I wouldn't want to see that happen, but I'm guessing that he will not be back next year.
Yes, we knew about his OWI. He was suspended at the beginning of the year.

If I didnt have a valid drivers license, my parents would have taken away my car. Makes me think he was driving someone else's car.

Why wasnt a BB student manager driving him? I have heard they cart players around all of the time anyhow.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
This was not a good decision by Pemsl, but it is just a traffic violation that a lot of people with suspended licenses make because the alternative of walking/uber is not financially viable. If it had been another OWI, then I'd say that warrants a serious suspension. If they really "arrested" Pemsl for this instead of just giving him a traffic court appearance, then this seems overdone.

This was not a good decision by Pemsl, but it is just a traffic violation that a lot of people with suspended licenses make because the alternative of walking/uber is not financially viable. If it had been another OWI, then I'd say that warrants a serious suspension. If they really "arrested" Pemsl for this instead of just giving him a traffic court appearance, then this seems overdone.

Well he likely blew any chance of a deferred judgment on his previous arrest. I would say that’s a pretty big deal.

In most circumstances I would likely agree, but in this case there likely is no argument that Pemsl had no other viable options. Cambus/Uber/I'm sure a slew of friends with cars, there's no reason he should be driving if he doesn't have a license.

Barring some extreme circumstances, this was an incredibly dumb decision by Pemsl and while it might hurt the team I think he should be suspended for the game Thursday.

Reactions: CyberJJ

One of my roomies during undergrad had an OWI the week before classes started. My other roomies and I carted him around for 6 months, he road a bike some and then took the bus. Decisions have consequences.

For precedent, didn’t Jok get picked up for driving with a suspended license, although it was a moped not a car. What was his punishment? I ask as that might give insight into what Fran might do?

Last edited:
In most circumstances I would likely agree, but in this case there likely is no argument that Pemsl had no other viable options. Cambus/Uber/I'm sure a slew of friends with cars, there's no reason he should be driving if he doesn't have a license.

Public transportation and buddy ride options are pretty sparse in Iowa City at 1:00 AM on a Monday morning,.. that being said, still an unfortunate decision...

Reactions: Hawksfor3
So, it would have been OK if he was driving an
Athletic Dept employees' car, like Xavier Simpson.

My first thought as well! Should have given a different ID too.

But seriously, not a good choice. Compounding the OWI mistake, so penalty from Fran may me harsh. Too bad, as he has slowly (painstakingly slowly) been providing better mins off the bench.

It's too bad that a first offense OWI (I assume it was his 1st). Results in revoking your license. Should just restrict the hours/destinations you can drive.

Of course he would have failed that in this case anyway.... driving at 1am.

Public transportation and buddy ride options are pretty sparse in Iowa City at 1:00 AM on a Monday morning,.. that being said, still an unfortunate decision...

That's fair but at the same time if you're Pemsl you have to consider that when deciding to be out until 1 am. Sucks to have to do that but that's what you get for getting an OWI in the first place, your regular life schedule should be inconvenienced.

Not a huge loss on the court, but really stupid by Cordell. It was a while ago, but I lived without a car for my first 5-6 years in Iowa City. If you don't have a license or car, bum a ride with someone, walk, or ride a bike. I think Iowa City is one of the few places in the country where police pull people over for broken tail lights, but about their only job is to generate revenue for the city.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
It’s Frans fault for giving the players 2 days off. Lol. The kid just doesn’t take anything seriously and I wud give his playing time to Till.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT