ADVERTISEMENT

Pemsl arrested

It’s Frans fault for giving the players 2 days off. Lol. The kid just doesn’t take anything seriously and I wud give his playing time to Till.

Honestly, I'm not sure we'd see much of a drop off other than possibly on the boards in some games. Pemsl is smart in his positioning on both ends of the floor and knows how to use his body to grab a board or loose ball. Till may also be able to but we haven't had a chance to see it.

I think Till offers more defensively as long as he isn't matched with a much larger player, and offensively he would stick to his role (e.g. not dribble around or force anything).

Reactions: gojojo
Xavier Simpson, at Michigan was the leading scorer for his team, the game after he had a 'bit of a run in' with the POLICE.

Cordell can serv a half game suspension, during Football season, using
Big Blue rules.

If we could get Dantonio to join the athletic dept, Cordell could go jail until noon on Thursday and then we can fly him into Bloomington by tip off....

This was not a good decision by Pemsl, but it is just a traffic violation that a lot of people with suspended licenses make because the alternative of walking/uber is not financially viable. If it had been another OWI, then I'd say that warrants a serious suspension. If they really "arrested" Pemsl for this instead of just giving him a traffic court appearance, then this seems overdone.

Whether you agree or disagree, in the eyes of the law it’s still a serious misdemeanor to be driving with a revoked license. OWI 1st is also a serious misdemeanor. People are arrested for serious misdemeanors very often in lieu of citation.

Indefensible. At 1:00 am on a Monday no less

I normally like to try to advocate for the players, but if Fran advises CP to look elsewhere as a grad transfer after this year, I wouldn’t be the least bit upset. He is directly hurting his team to kick off the most difficult part of Iowa’s schedule, when they need to be gelling and prepping for a March run.

Now it’s Riley Till or Austin Ash taking minutes? What if we have another game like @Maryland where both Garza and Kriener are in foul trouble?

Yeah, he should take an Uber and pay for it with all that money he's allowed to earn as a scholarship athlete
He should have called up any one of his friends who have a driver’s license. I assume that as an upperclassman on the basketball team, he’s got a lot of friends, or at the very least, knows a lot of people?

Riley Till is a better player at this point in their respective careers. Garza and RK get into foul trouble? Connor plays the 5, I guess.

Yeah, he should take an Uber and pay for it with all that money he's allowed to earn as a scholarship athlete

I haven't taken an Uber in IC in a while but have to imagine that it costs about $15 at most to get most anywhere in the area. Let's not pretend Pemsl is a poor college kid barely able to afford the clothes on his back, let alone putting $15 on his credit card for one night.

This has absolutely nothing to do with college kids not getting paid (which they should).

EDIT: Just looked and an Uber right now from downtown IC to Coralville is $10.

He should have called up any one of his friends who have a driver’s license. I assume that as an upperclassman on the basketball team, he’s got a lot of friends, or at the very least, knows a lot of people?

That's a better suggestion. There are probably lots of people who would give him a ride.

Then again, at 1 a.m. he probably was on his way home, which means he would have also needed a ride to wherever he went. Probably a late night study session, right?

Reactions: Wadukester
Get over yourselves people. He made a mistake. If he wasn't who he is, nobody would know or care. I highly doubt he is the first div. 1 basketball player to have been in a similar situation and I bet you there are plenty of div 1 players that have done worse and didn't get their faces plastered in the media. FYI, he was pulled over around 1 am. What bus runs people around at that hour, let alone friends/roommates on a school night? Oh he could've called an Uber or taxi? On his salary?

Reactions: bigfische
That's a better suggestion. There are probably lots of people who would give him a ride.

Then again, at 1 a.m. he probably was on his way home, which means he would have also needed a ride to wherever he went. Probably a late night study session, right?

If by study session you mean tap dat ass session, then yes.

Oh b/s. He knew what his situation was and he should never have put himself in that position in the first place. Do not make excuses for someone with a OWI and on probation who then violates that probation. It is inexcusable unless he was going for help for an severely injured person and he couldn't find Lassie.

Reactions: kceasthawk and CP84
FYI, he was pulled over around 1 am. What bus runs people around at that hour, let alone friends/roommates on a school night? Oh he could've called an Uber or taxi? On his salary?

Which means 1) He was leaving his home at 1 am - not smart. Or 2) he had driven earlier in the night and wasn’t caught. Doubt this was the one and only time he’s driven either.

What Pemsl did should not warrant a death sentence. I don’t think anyone is advocating for that. It’s just not smart of him and could be seen as very selfish given where they are in the season. Oh well, I still like Pemsl. This won’t change that.

I normally like to try to advocate for the players, but if Fran advises CP to look elsewhere as a grad transfer after this year, I wouldn’t be the least bit upset. He is directly hurting his team to kick off the most difficult part of Iowa’s schedule, when they need to be gelling and prepping for a March run.

Now it’s Riley Till or Austin Ash taking minutes? What if we have another game like @Maryland where both Garza and Kriener are in foul trouble?

I have been under the assumption that Pemsl likely wasn't back anyways next year due to his continual injury issues and he just doesn't look like his body can handle it anymore (and with the scholarships needed to be figured out next year) ... these issues only convince me even more that he won't be with the team next year.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Riley Till is a better player at this point in their respective careers. Garza and RK get into foul trouble? Connor plays the 5, I guess.

I disagree. Pemsl is by no means a great option but overall he is a stronger player than Till. Till tries hard and brings energy but he is a huge negative offensively and while he seems to have a big block every time he is in, he also seems out of position a lot on defense.

I don't think its a huge difference between the two but Till is definitely not an upgrade (though I hope he comes up big with the additional opportunity).

It blows me away how dumb people can be. If you are going to drive without a license at least make sure all your lights work and there is nothing else wrong that can give reason to getting pulled over. It's like all the times people with drugs in the car get caught for speeding or running a red light/stop sign.
A man wiser than myself would always preach, 'only break one law at a time.'

Oh b/s. He knew what his situation was and he should never have put himself in that position in the first place. Do not make excuses for someone with a OWI and on probation who then violates that probation. It is inexcusable unless he was going for help for an severely injured person and he couldn't find Lassie.

I'm not making excuses for him, just critiquing the "pay for a ride" response when athletes don't have time to work jobs during the school year and can't earn money off their likenesses. There are plenty of better options, as many others on this thread have mentioned.

It was a horrible decision. Driving with a revoked license is a serious misdemeanor. This is not a small mistake by Cordell, and he will almost certainly be suspended for a few games at least.

What a dumbass. I don’t see him getting kicked off the team but he won’t be playing for a few weeks.

I’m curious what happened in this guys life. He seems to be going downhill fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChuckBarkley
Dumb move. I’d suspend him one game and not give him a fifth year of scholarship.

He seems to be a fun guy who’s personality is one that could be a leader if his play on the court could back that up. Unfortunately I don’t think his heart is into basketball anymore and he’s just enjoying his college years. His injuries did him in, but regardless this was a poor choice.

I’d make sure he got to put in some extra wind sprints and make it visible to the team actions have consequences. If he opts to leave before the end of the year so be it.

Unfortunately this hurts the team and he owes everyone on it including the coaches a sincere apology.

Reactions: kceasthawk
You can label me a pessimist, but I don't think we win a game where both Garza and Kriener have to sit for 10+ minutes at the same time in the fist half.
You’re probably right. My entire point is that, with as many losses/injuries that this team has suffered, they can not afford to have players missing additional time because they made stupid decisions

Reactions: kceasthawk

I agree. Sorry for being the old man here as well, but just for starters why is he out running around at 1am during the season? Maybe he's not happy with his current role on the team, which is fine, because his role (for the near future anyway) probably just changed. :oops:

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I agree. Sorry for being the old man here as well, but just for starters why is he out running around at 1am during the season? Maybe he's not happy with his current role on the team, which is fine, because his role (for the near future anyway) probably just changed. :oops:

Probably driving home from the library. I actually think he's learned something, he wasn't drunk. Let him play.

ok old man... girls are a good reason

Cocky athletes and cars, what else is new. I don't like the idea of throwing money at student athletes, but I do like the idea of giving them Cab vouchers or something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT