ADVERTISEMENT

Pemsl arrested

This was not a good decision by Pemsl, but it is just a traffic violation that a lot of people with suspended licenses make because the alternative of walking/uber is not financially viable. If it had been another OWI, then I'd say that warrants a serious suspension. If they really "arrested" Pemsl for this instead of just giving him a traffic court appearance, then this seems overdone.

"Overdone" is how the Iowa City Police do things.

Talked to someone today who knows a lot about the legal side of this kind of charge, as well as Cordell's standing after his OWI arrest in September. First off, he is facing a week in jail for violating the terms of his OWI agreement. This is a serious charge and the law tends to come down hard on those who drive anyway and get caught.
Second, when CP was arrested last year, he was withheld from ALL TEAM ACTIVITIES for a month, indicating that there were other behavior issues with him at this time. It's possible he may have played his last game as a Hawkeye. Hopefully that isn't the case, but his punishment is likely to be longer, maybe much longer, than one game.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Talked to someone today who knows a lot about the legal side of this kind of charge, as well as Cordell's standing after his OWI arrest in September. First off, he is facing a week in jail for violating the terms of his OWI agreement. This is a serious charge and the law tends to come down hard on those who drive anyway and get caught.
Second, when CP was arrested last year, he was withheld from ALL TEAM ACTIVITIES for a month, indicating that there were other behavior issues with him at this time. It's possible he may have played his last game as a Hawkeye. Hopefully that isn't the case, but his punishment is likely to be longer, maybe much longer, than one game.

Interesting and not implausible.

Whether you agree or disagree, in the eyes of the law it’s still a serious misdemeanor to be driving with a revoked license. OWI 1st is also a serious misdemeanor. People are arrested for serious misdemeanors very often in lieu of citation.

Yeah, it's right up there with first degree murder.

It's like all the times people with drugs in the car get caught for speeding or running a red light/stop sign.

Yeah, but you're not counting the millions of times when people with drugs in their car don't get pulled over because they're following the speed limit and stopping at red lights and stop signs. ;)

I think Peter Jok spent four days in jail over his similar, but moped based transgression,... followed by a team suspension,.. don't recall the duration..

Yeah, it's right up there with first degree murder.

Because that’s what I said. Are you suggesting that the police look the other way and let the athletes have the run of the city? This is what separates The University of Iowa from many other schools (ie Michigan) and I for one am pretty proud of it.

Because that’s what I said. Are you suggesting that the police look the other way and let the athletes have the run of the city? This is what separates The University of Iowa from many other schools (ie Michigan) and I for one am pretty proud of it.

Nope not saying they should look the other way. What I am saying is compared to what he could have done, its not all that serious. Not murder, not an OWI, slightly above jay walking so let's not overexagerate what happened here. He'll clean Fran's jock for a week and play his usual 2 mins per game.

Nope not saying they should look the other way. What I am saying is compared to what he could have done, its not all that serious. Not murder, not an OWI, slightly above jay walking so let's not overexagerate what happened here. He'll clean Fran's jock for a week and play his usual 2 mins per game.

And what I posted, which seemed to offend you, is that it wasn’t an OWI. But according to Iowa code, OWI and Driving while Revoked (for OWI) are both serious misdemeanors. They carry very similar weight. You’re making it out to be driving without a license, which would be “slightly above jay walking”. This is a little more serious, only because Pemsl’s past recent history. And no one here is trying to make Pemsl out to be a murderer, so just stop with that.

ICPD has always been a little, OK a lot, too far on the side of: "arrest, write citation, always the maximum charge, fine, fine, fine your citizens whenever possible, NEVER give just a warning..." for my taste.

ok old man... girls are a good reason
Whatever, if putting his status on the team at risk right now is worth it, then fine. Cut him loose, and he can chase all the strange he wants. I mean for all the good things that this team has done this season, I'm really starting to wonder about how committed some of these kids are. We have a kid on scholly who doesn't even go to a game, and he's out on the west coast watching his brother in law play football, and now this crap. How about we show some damn responsibility to the TEAM that your supposed to be part of for christ's sake.....

I agree. Sorry for being the old man here as well, but just for starters why is he out running around at 1am during the season? Maybe he's not happy with his current role on the team, which is fine, because his role (for the near future anyway) probably just changed. :oops:
I don’t really care about or have any issue with players being out late. Entirely possible that he was hanging with some buddies, a girl, or studying late... I was doing the same stuff in college and being out late during the week. But you have to make better decisions when you’re mid season and coming off a preseason suspension, than driving without a license and putting yourself and team at risk if something like this happens. Iowa City is small enough that he should have had no issue catching a ride to and from where ever he was going

This was not a good decision by Pemsl, but it is just a traffic violation that a lot of people with suspended licenses make because the alternative of walking/uber is not financially viable. If it had been another OWI, then I'd say that warrants a serious suspension. If they really "arrested" Pemsl for this instead of just giving him a traffic court appearance, then this seems overdone.
Pemsl should not be that broke. He gets a stipend of what, $4,000 or more.

Agreed, based on the information available to the public, it seems like the police handled the situation as they should have. It’s entirely possible that Cordell was pulled over and the cop was going to let him know that his tail light was out and send him on his way. But they will still ask for your license, registration, and proof of insurance. And if he doesn’t have a license, then the cop has to do his or her job...

ICPD has always been a little, OK a lot, too far on the side of: "arrest, write citation, always the maximum charge, fine, fine, fine your citizens whenever possible, NEVER give just a warning..." for my taste.

Which your opinion is fine and I think it’s shared by many from what I hear and read. Iowa City PD is not much of a secret, which makes Pemsl’s decisions a little more baffling, no? Do you for certain know players (or Cordell) haven’t been given warnings? I doubt those would be made public.

My taste is to error on the side of structure and law opposed to letting the inmates run the asylum. It does seem quite strange for such a liberal city like Iowa City and have an overzealous police force like the Iowa City Pd. Odd.

Thats not the point here. Its the I don't care about the team or my team mates when they are operating on a razors edge as it is. Did you ever play on a team, that was trying to accomplish something? CP knows damn well that those guys are counting on him, and he knows his current situation, because of his previous poor decisions, and yet here we are. Tells me he doesn't care about his team mates or about their common goal. I can also tell you as an employer, I wouldn't hire someone who disregards the kind of situation he's in or his role for the greater good to his organization. Stupid decisions have consequences, and they can be long term....

Whatever, if putting his status on the team at risk right now is worth it, then fine. Cut him loose, and he can chase all the strange he wants. I mean for all the good things that this team has done this season, I'm really starting to wonder about how committed some of these kids are. We have a kid on scholly who doesn't even go to a game, and he's out on the west coast watching his brother in law play football, and now this crap. How about we show some damn responsibility to the TEAM that your supposed to be part of for christ's sake.....

I thought you wanted someone to play devils advocate... I agree with the commitment to team etc. but he’s a kid...

All I am saying chasing it leads to bad decision making and I’m guessing, not saying, guessing you’ve done something stupid for a woman... Before we crucify this kid, just remember a time when you weren’t perfect in your decision making.

Also the environment is ripe for this
Student athletes are poor... hence the headlight.
Iowa city leads the nation in binge drinking... aiding the DUI
The cops in IC are incredibly difficult and look for this sort of thing
Pemsl’s experience is likely not going how he wants, leaving him vulnerable to distraction

Get him help don’t cut him loose

Reactions: O-townHawkstar
I thought you wanted someone to play devils advocate... I agree with the commitment to team etc. but he’s a kid...

All I am saying chasing it leads to bad decision making and I’m guessing, not saying, guessing you’ve done something stupid for a woman... Before we crucify this kid, just remember a time when you weren’t perfect in your decision making.

Also the environment is ripe for this
Student athletes are poor... hence the headlight.
Iowa city leads the nation in binge drinking... aiding the DUI
The cops in IC are incredibly difficult and look for this sort of thing
Pemsl’s experience is likely not going how he wants, leaving him vulnerable to distraction

Get him help don’t cut him loose
Great, and your entitled to think what you want, just like he is. Basically you made a half dozen excuses for why this just isn't his fault. Sorry, but I don't agree. He made the first mistake this fall. Fine. He knows what his current situation is as a licensed driver, and yet he did it anyway. Thats on him, period. I've had friends in accidents with people who don't have driver's license or insurance, and have very little tolerance for people who drive a motor vehicle unlicensed or under the influence. As for whatever mistakes you or I made as young people, yep we all make mistakes, absolutely, and at some point you may be held accountable for the ones you make, something that very few people seem to get these days. The problem I have is when your mistakes prove costly for others, which could very well be the case if he has to be suspended.

Great, and your entitled to think what you want, just like he is. Basically you made a half dozen excuses for why this just isn't his fault. Sorry, but I don't agree. He made the first mistake this fall. Fine. He knows what his current situation is as a licensed driver, and yet he did it anyway. Thats on him, period. I've had friends in accidents with people who don't have driver's license or insurance, and have very little tolerance for people who drive a motor vehicle unlicensed or under the influence. As for whatever mistakes you or I made as young people, yep we all make mistakes, absolutely, and at some point you may be held accountable for the ones you make, something that very few people seem to get these days. The problem I have is when your mistakes prove costly for others, which could very well be the case if he has to be suspended.

Suspend him sure.

Iowa city is a trap for many 18 year olds. There is disproportionate amount of people that graduate from the university of Iowa with a record.

It is perplexing how someone like Cordell could do something so dumb. But then again, it's not like he's the president or something. Ask for a trial in front of the US Senate, Cordell, and you're home free, my man.
breaking-news-alert-you-cant-impeach-trump-because-won-election-invaded-safe-space-built-wall-doesnt-care-about-your-feelings.jpg

Suspend him sure.

Iowa city is a trap for many 18 year olds. There is disproportionate amount of people that graduate from the university of Iowa with a record.

Disproportionate to what? Other universities of similar size, college graduates as a whole, all 22 / 23 year olds.....?

Please share your link. I’d love to see the numbers.

The cops in IC are incredibly difficult and look for this sort of thing”. I like Pemsl, but out driving around at 1:00 AM on a Monday morning with a busted taillight, he sure isn’t making it difficult for the cops either.

Last edited:
Suspend him sure.

Thats all fine, but again HE is the one who got the OWI in the fall, and was driving currently without a valid license. Quoting stats on arrests is not relevant. As Uno hawk said, in this case, the cops did EXACTLY what they should have done. Its not like they went looking for him. If you've ever had someone close to you, who was in an accident with an impaired or unlicensed driver, believe me you'll have little tolerance for such MISTAKES. MY oldest son was hit head on by an impaired driver, (who had no insurance), a year ago in November. After 3 weeks in the hospital with 6 broken ribs, a cracked sternum, and bad breaks to his right foot, and right wrist, and yet we felt blessed that he was alive. After 4 surgeries, and 6 months of rehab, he has regained about 85% of his mobility in foot and hand, but will never be 100% again, and he's only 39 years old. Car was totaled, and he was off work for 6 months. All he was doing was driving to work. The guy who hit him, not so much. He blacked out, (supposedly), and crossed 3 lanes of traffic to hit my son's car head on at about 40 mph. Just a mistake the guy made I guess, which had pretty significant consequences for him and my son.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
Disproportionate to what? Other universities of similar size, college graduates as a whole, all 22 / 23 year olds.....?

The cops in IC are incredibly difficult and look for this sort of thing”. I like Pemsl, but out driving around at 1:00 AM on a Monday morning with a busted taillight, he sure isn’t making it difficult for the cops either.

Yeah I don't see how the police are to blame here. Is what he did that bad? No, except that he's not supposed to be driving at all due to the more serious DWI.

I get that it's inconvenient to not your license for a period of time. Tough crap, it's what the punishment is for the DWI offense. Go without driving until your license is restored like the rest of America charged with the same offense.

You’re right about the arrest rates... not even U of I isn’t top 50

You’re right about the tail light as well in terms of making it easy for the police. Just think people who are killing this kid for riding around with a tail out out might be over reacting a little bit.

You’re right about the tail light as well in terms of making it easy for the police. Just think people who are killing this kid for riding around with a tail out out might be over reacting a little bit.

Wut?
You made a pretty bold claim. I figured you had something to back it up. I guess you’re just throwing stuff out there to see if it sticks. That is hard to do. Well done.

No one is killing Pemsl a bit and it certainly isn’t for a busted taillight. People are being critical of Pemsl for a continuous pattern of mistakes that put himself and his team in difficult positions. There’s a faction of this fanbase who either want to look the other way or place the blame on the police and not Pemsl. That is sad.

My Experience with Iowa City Cops
: I have been pulled over twice in the last two years for failure to have my lights on after dark. My car has a stupid design. The headlights come on low 24-7 without the taillights. So I can see where I'm going, but the car behind me sees that I have no taillights. I generally always turn on my headlights, so I don't forget but forget occasionally

Both times, I got a verbal warning with no write-up. By the way, I am a polite old white Iowa man with everything up to date and no record. So the cop didn't give a ticket to his grampa.

My daughter had a broken taillight lens (in my 20-year-old pickup truck) and just got a verbal warning. Twice. She is a polite white Iowa girl with everything up to date and no record.

The only thing that we have in common with Pemsl is being polite (I assume) and from Iowa.

It blows me away how dumb people can be. If you are going to drive without a license at least make sure all your lights work and there is nothing else wrong that can give reason to getting pulled over. It's like all the times people with drugs in the car get caught for speeding or running a red light/stop sign.

Thats not the point here. Its the I don't care about the team or my team mates when they are operating on a razors edge as it is. Did you ever play on a team, that was trying to accomplish something? CP knows damn well that those guys are counting on him, and he knows his current situation, because of his previous poor decisions, and yet here we are. Tells me he doesn't care about his team mates or about their common goal. I can also tell you as an employer, I wouldn't hire someone who disregards the kind of situation he's in or his role for the greater good to his organization. Stupid decisions have consequences, and they can be long term....

Simmer down, Boomer.

Only one person has actually gotten the information correct here. He did not get caught "driving without a license". He was pulled over and charged with driving while license revoked. As one poster mentioned but everyone seemed to ignore, the latter carries a very similar punishment to OWI. It is not merely a traffic violation. This carries a large fine and usually a small amount of jail time.

Reactions: iahawks10

Can you verify he had insurance even though he had no license?

I don't care about the light, but I don't care about people driving around with no insurance.

Thats all fine, but again HE is the one who got the OWI in the fall, and was driving currently without a valid license. Quoting stats on arrests is not relevant. As Uno hawk said, in this case, the cops did EXACTLY what they should have done. Its not like they went looking for him. If you've ever had someone close to you, who was in an accident with an impaired or unlicensed driver, believe me you'll have little tolerance for such MISTAKES. MY oldest son was hit head on by an impaired driver, (who had no insurance), a year ago in November. After 3 weeks in the hospital with 6 broken ribs, a cracked sternum, and bad breaks to his right foot, and right wrist, and yet we felt blessed that he was alive. After 4 surgeries, and 6 months of rehab, he has regained about 85% of his mobility in foot and hand, but will never be 100% again, and he's only 39 years old. Car was totaled, and he was off work for 6 months. All he was doing was driving to work. The guy who hit him, not so much. He blacked out, (supposedly), and crossed 3 lanes of traffic to hit my son's car head on at about 40 mph. Just a mistake the guy made I guess, which had pretty significant consequences for him and my son.
Sorry to hear that(could have been much worse though, so glad he made it). Wouldn't be surprised if the chump probably got a punishment that wasn't even 10% of what you son dealt with!

I know too many drunk driving stories to have any sympathy towards drunk drivers. Then again, I don't know many that have never done it(even I have been guilty of it twice)

ADVERTISEMENT