ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State beat writer gives Kinnick Stadium some serious love

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Ben Jones is a FWAA/AWSM member, an author and is the Sports Editor at http://StateCollege.com. He is also a beat writer for Penn State football, hockey & hoops.

He had this to say tonight regarding Kinnick Stadium:

Ben Jones‏@Ben_Jones88 23m23 minutes ago

Iowa/Ohio State on BTN right now and I can't say enough good things about that stadium. Sometimes I think Beaver/Ohio/Michigan Stadiums are too big. Kinnick is as good as anywhere when it gets going.

3 replies 3 retweets 24 likes

Last edited:
Nice thing to say, but how can a stadium be too big? As long as there's intimacy, like Kinnick has, stack on the decks. Imagine what Kinnick would be like with the South endzone just like the new North endzone. It would be insanely loud. Big isn't he problem. Not squeezing the field and not going vertical is the problem.

For all those who complain we never blitz, we did that play....
I think since PP took over we blitz more often, I must be in the majority that I think and understand we are a much better team when we can get pressure with front 4 and stay in our base defense with our read 1/4 coverage......not a fan of blitzing b/c if we are blitzing it means we don't have the DL to get it done......do not think we have that problem right now or in the foreseeable future.

I think since PP took over we blitz more often, I must be in the majority that I think and understand we are a much better team when we can get pressure with front 4 and stay in our base defense with our read 1/4 coverage......not a fan of blitzing b/c if we are blitzing it means we don't have the DL to get it done......do not think we have that problem right now or in the foreseeable future.

Iowa blitzes a lot down near the goal line. Gave up at least 2 TD's to Iowa State in all-out blitzes. There is no right or wrong answer. Sit back, and folks complain about not being aggressive. Blitz and don't get home, people say you should play coverage.

The OSU game last year kind of flipped once Parker blitzed Nieman and he stripped Barrett. OSU recovered, but it ended up forcing an OSU punt and Iowa took control after that. Prior to that, OSU had two long TD passes and a long drive for a FG. So I want Iowa to blitz when they sack the QB, and otherwise play coverage :)

Blitzing is a bit like throwing downfield...you have to do it, or at least show it, often enough to keep a defense honest. Otherwise you get games like Iowa-ISU 2012 (or was it 2014?).

Kirk's philosophy is big on "not beating yourself". The shortcoming is, he only recognizes fumbles, penalties and mistakes in execution as part of that equation. He doesn't consider a vanilla scheme which makes your opponent's job easy as another example...which it can be.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Not sure why

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT