ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State football "player" throwing in the towel

giphy.gif

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
Not playing for a year didn’t work too well for Clarett. Went from best rb in years, to rusty and washed out of NFL quickly. I would be concerned about using first round pick on player like this. Still a big talent, but would move them down draft board compared to someone “similar” who played.

The point is the comparison is apples to oranges, I understand reading comprehension is tough, but try to follow along. Why would a projected top 10 pick, in a season full of uncertainty, risk lowering his draft status? He was a 5* athlete, and he can focus on the combine this way.
And all the poster you replied to was saying is that draft status can change over a year, and that not playing could potentially hurt his draft position. It was a valid statement, it just so happens it varies from your opinion.

Reactions: onionman1
And all the poster you replied to was saying is that draft status can change over a year, and that not playing could potentially hurt his draft position. It was a valid statement, it just so happens it varies from your opinion.
Making a comparison between a top 10 pick and a potentially top 5 RB, who most projected to go into the 5,6,7 rounds is not a valid comparison. Keep on keeping on I guess.

This is not going to be the last high profile player to do this.

I could see a couple projected first round Hawkeye players doing the same thing.

This is not going to be the last high profile player to do this.

I could see a couple projected first round Hawkeye players doing the same thing.

No way. Jackson fell out of the first round for not playing. He needs to play and be dominant doing so. Who else are you thinking as a first rounder, Linderbaum or the Indiana transfer? Again, both need to play and dominate to improve their draft stock.

Who?

Iowa has no one who is a lock for the lottery or 1st Round. Every Iowa player looking to get drafted in 2021 will look to improve their stock via the 2020 season (whatever that ends up being).

Limited group that can do this, I can only see Sophs and back ups with limited time left in the program.

Bateman and Parsons were both projected top 10 in the off season, why not make the best business decision and avoid injury you’ve already demonstrated you can play at the highest level.

both are freaks physically too so the combine plus their soph film, which would be exceptional for a Senior won’t dictate their value too much.

Most upperclassmen if they decided to come back don’t have the film those guys possess, or they’d be moving on and measurables alone won’t get you drafted in the first round for the predominant group of college players. A lot of money on the table every college football season not just for the TV networks. Kids want to play

I don't blame him. Better to take a paycheck then potentially catch COVID and never be able to play at all. Remember, even if it doesn't kill you it has a decent shot of causing life altering health conditions.
Yeah, to .001 percent of those that are young and healthy.

The point is the comparison is apples to oranges, I understand reading comprehension is tough, but try to follow along. Why would a projected top 10 pick, in a season full of uncertainty, risk lowering his draft status? He was a 5* athlete, and he can focus on the combine this way.
Why would they ever play then? They're not required to play 3 years....

Not playing for a year didn’t work too well for Clarett. Went from best rb in years, to rusty and washed out of NFL quickly. I would be concerned about using first round pick on player like this. Still a big talent, but would move them down draft board compared to someone “similar” who played.
Nic Bosa did ok. He even got injured and shut it down for the year.

Who?

Iowa has no one who is a lock for the lottery or 1st Round. Every Iowa player looking to get drafted in 2021 will look to improve their stock via the 2020 season (whatever that ends up being).
I'd bet he isn't a top 10 pick if the draft, if we have a full 10 game season....

1 in a 100000 get lung issues or worse?

Lmao!!!!

You need to check your math dude

No one has any evidence what effects having this virus will have long term. So, getting back to the topic, I don't think most teams would worry about players sitting. If I'm Trevor Lawrence, I am certainly putting a ton of consideration in sitting.

you guys that get into a tissy if a player sits out a bowl game and risk injury or, in this case, doesn't want to risk dying for your entertainment are the biggest snowflakes of all.

Reactions: littlez
No one has any evidence what effects having this virus will have long term. So, getting back to the topic, I don't think most teams would worry about players sitting. If I'm Trevor Lawrence, I am certainly putting a ton of consideration in sitting.
There's is plenty of evidence that more than 1 in 100000 have issues that could derail a pro sports career, or worse.

Whether we like it or not this debate has plenty to do with covid so it seems rather relevant imo.

There's is plenty of evidence that more than 1 in 100000 have issues that could derail a pro sports career, or worse.

Whether we like it or not this debate has plenty to do with covid so it seems rather relevant imo.
Read the words LONG TERM, and no you have no evidence of this.

Reactions: ChiDoc
Read the words LONG TERM, and no you have no evidence of this.
We're talking about it affecting a players career which there is plenty evidence it could.

You're the only one to mention long term, but sure there is no evidence of long term issues of a disease we didn't know about a year ago.....

Reactions: Cougar63
Why would he not opt out? He is McShay's #6 pick.

It could easily backfire by causing him to drop. He had big character red flags coming out of HS. Several big schools backed off. Teams like Patriots, Steelers, etc want character and leadership and not the next Antonio Brown In their locker room.

It could easily backfire by causing him to drop. He had big character red flags coming out of HS. Several big schools backed off. Teams like Patriots, Steelers, etc want character and leadership and not the next Antonio Brown In their locker room.
And as we all know, college coaches decide who the NFL teams get to draft!! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT