ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Game Time?

Mar 14, 2003
Anybody know anything on this yet? I’m probably in the minority here, but I’m pulling for the 11am game on Fox. It seems here lately that if it’s at night in Kinnick against ranked PSU they get the better of Iowa.

Anybody know anything on this yet? I’m probably in the minority here, but I’m pulling for the 11am game on Fox. It seems here lately that if it’s at night in Kinnick against ranked PSU they get the better of Iowa.
OU-Texas is that week so I'm guessing that will be the 11am game on Fox. Other potential big matchups are Bama/A&M which I'm guessing is the CBS 230 game but there is also Georgia/Auburn game so maybe CBS will do a night game which they do from time to time to air both or one of the other networks gets one of the games most likely the latter. Other matchup of teams currently ranked are ND/VT (NBC?) and Arkansas/Ole Miss. Iowa-PSU has a very good chance of being the ABC primetime game or 230 at the very least. No clue how it works out with which what network has first dibs on it.

I'm hoping for a night game. The wife and I are planning on making the trip for this one. First game in years and under the lights would be awesome

Reactions: Tunadog
The B1G won't want their biggest game of the week competing with Ohio St, who plays at 11 AM that day.

My guess for B1G and big games being played that day:

11AM BTN - Mich St - Rutgers
11AM ESPN or FOX - Maryland - Ohio St
11AM ABC - Texas - Okla
11AM SECN - Arkansas - Ole Miss
2:30PM BTN - Wisky - Illinois
2:30PM ABC - Michigan - Nebraska
2:30PM ACCN - ND - Va Tech
2:30PM CBS - Georgia - Auburn
6PM ESPN - South Carolina - Tennessee
6PM FS1 - Utah - USC
7PM FOX - Penn St - Iowa
7PM CBS - aTm - 'Bama

Last edited:
If FOX also had USC/Utah, it would make sense to have the Iowa/PSU as their Big Noon Saturday game given the other game is in mountain time
Both games are listed as FOX or FS1, so they can be played at the same time on different networks, as I predicted above.

Saturday, Oct. 9 TBA Penn State at Iowa FOX or FS1 TBA Utah at USC FOX or FS1

Doesn't FOX need a game for Big Noon each week?

Both games are listed as FOX or FS1, so they can be played at the same time on different networks, as I predicted above.
Right. I imagine that it depends somewhat on how all teams perform between now and then. If Utah and USC continue to play .500 ball, then I’m sure there is no problem playing both games at the same time. If both teams win out before their matchup, they may want to show the games at different times to avoid splitting viewers

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
Saturday, Oct. 9 TBA Penn State at Iowa FOX or FS1 TBA Utah at USC FOX or FS1

Doesn't FOX need a game for Big Noon each week?
Yes, and it will probably be Maryland-Ohio St.

Although it's not officially stated, my guess is that Fox network was planning on both IA-PSU and UT-USC to be prime time games, with one on FOX and the other on FS1, depending on how the season shakes out. One does not have to be the 11AM game.

Yes, and it will probably be Maryland-Ohio St.

Although it's not officially stated, my guess is that Fox network was planning on both IA-PSU and UT-USC to be prime time games, with one on FOX and the other on FS1, depending on how the season shakes out. One does not have to be the 11AM game.
True. Who has the first selection of Big10 games on Oct 9?

I think a lot will depend if PSU can be beat Auburn. I can't speak for all PSU fans, but after 2020 I don't think any game in the Big Ten is a gimme for PSU. When you have a streaky QB you just never know what the game is going to be like. Not sure how we got to #10 after only two games. Win against Auburn and Iowa, and win every game in between and it will be justified. Also will help if Wisconsin can beat ND and Michigan.

Playing against Iowa is always stressful, but when you see how much talent you develop it's easy to see why the games are so competitive. Off the top of my head the only I can recall not being competitive in recent years are 2020, 2016, and 2013.

I'm going to the game so I much rather prefer a 7pm kickoff as tailgating in Iowa City is always fun. I think playing at night in Kinnick would be tougher on Penn State and any road team. PSU has won some close ones, but those teams were decent. PSU has the Whiteout this week and those tend to be against the better teams so our record is just over .500 in Whiteouts. It's not like we are play Temple or Rugters in those games.

Auburn may not be on top of SEC, but they have plenty of good players and athletes. They can beat PSU just as easily as we can beat them. Glad the game is at home this year. :)

Excellent chance that FOX makes Iowa/PSU the noon game ET. Their strategy is to lead off with their strongest game.

Reactions: ichawk24
I think a lot will depend if PSU can be beat Auburn. I can't speak for all PSU fans, but after 2020 I don't think any game in the Big Ten is a gimme for PSU. When you have a streaky QB you just never know what the game is going to be like. Not sure how we got to #10 after only two games. Win against Auburn and Iowa, and win every game in between and it will be justified. Also will help if Wisconsin can beat ND and Michigan.

Playing against Iowa is always stressful, but when you see how much talent you develop it's easy to see why the games are so competitive. Off the top of my head the only I can recall not being competitive in recent years are 2020, 2016, and 2013.

I'm going to the game so I much rather prefer a 7pm kickoff as tailgating in Iowa City is always fun. I think playing at night in Kinnick would be tougher on Penn State and any road team. PSU has won some close ones, but those teams were decent. PSU has the Whiteout this week and those tend to be against the better teams so our record is just over .500 in Whiteouts. It's not like we are play Temple or Rugters in those games.

Auburn may not be on top of SEC, but they have plenty of good players and athletes. They can beat PSU just as easily as we can beat them. Glad the game is at home this year. :)
If it were a rainy day, a 7pm kick would suck balls.

The B1G won't want their biggest game of the week competing with Ohio St, who plays at 11 AM that day.

My guess for B1G and big games being played that day:

11AM BTN - Mich St - Rutgers
11AM ESPN or FOX - Maryland - Ohio St
11AM ABC - Texas - Okla
11AM SECN - Arkansas - Ole Miss
2:30PM BTN - Wisky - Illinois
2:30PM ABC - Michigan - Nebraska
2:30PM ACCN - ND - Va Tech
2:30PM CBS - Georgia - Auburn
6PM ESPN - South Carolina - Tennessee
6PM FS1 - Utah - USC
7PM FOX - Penn St - Iowa
7PM CBS - aTm - 'Bama
Does BTN have a night game every Saturday or not once we get to league play?

Excellent chance that FOX makes Iowa/PSU the noon game ET. Their strategy is to lead off with their strongest game.
Like a noon kickoff is going to grab more casual viewers than a 7 PM kick.

Big Noon Kickoff to me says that Fox doesn’t believe it can truly compete with the Mouse. If it really felt like it could, it would make its premier game prime time too. Kinnick at night is a very, very special environment. The Penn State game needs this.

The only way it would be an "excellent chance" is if Iowa or PSU stumble prior to that game.

Ohio St is already slated for noon, and there is NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that there would be as high a profile B1G game as an undefeated, top 10 matchup between Iowa and Penn St competing against the Ohio St game. That would also give the B1G 3 noon games (including MSU-Rut) with only 2 other games that day.

I think it is much more likely that Ohio St is the FOX Big Noon game, as this is likely FOX's last chance to get them there until the Michigan game.

Reactions: ichawk24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT