ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Game Time?

Like a noon kickoff is going to grab more casual viewers than a 7 PM kick.

Big Noon Kickoff to me says that Fox doesn’t believe it can truly compete with the Mouse. If it really felt like it could, it would make its premier game prime time too. Kinnick at night is a very, very special environment. The Penn State game needs this.

I’m just repeating information shared in an On Iowa podcast when Dochterman was discussing how the networks “pick” games and choose to slot games. Paraphrasing a bit but he stated that FOX’s strategy is to lead off with the strongest game because it’s data showed that there was a greater chance that the viewers would watch that pre-game show, watch the “premier” game and stick with the FOX lineup for the day as opposed to waiting to show premier game at night. Dochterman stated that FOX felt that strategy results in lost viewership earlier in their broadcast day.

So ,,, while it may seem that 7:00 is the “prime” spot, the 11:00 am slot is considered by FOX to be the “anchor” slot and may actually be considered to be more important to the bigger overall viewership.

FWIW.

Last edited:
Reactions: ichawk24
FOX also wants to win the 11am CT time slot, since ESPN doesn't put big games there. Put a big game at 11am, and anchor the day, as AuroraHawk said.

I found the Iowa/ISU game time of 330CT to be interesting. It looks like ABC used 330 rather than 230, in order to have a big audience leading into the Michigan/Washington 7pm kick.

I wonder if any Iowa forces can get kickoff at night. I'll take any advantage Iowa can get, and night time vs Penn State is huge (plus, Penn State HATES night Kinnick).

Reactions: F5n5
I’m just repeating information shared in an On Iowa podcast when Dochterman was discussing how the networks “pick” games and choose to slot games. Paraphrasing a bit but he stated that FOX’s strategy is to lead off with the strongest game because it’s data showed that there was a greater chance that the viewers would watch that pre-game show, watch the “premier” game and stick with the FOX lineup for the day as opposed to waiting to show premier game at night. Dochterman stated that FOX felt that strategy results in lost viewership earlier in their broadcast day.

So ,,, while it may seem that 7:00 is the “prime” spot, the 11:00 am slot is considered by FOX to be the “anchor” slot and may actually be considered to be more important to the bigger overall viewership.

FWIW.
Fox also likes to have the BIG NOON SATURDAY show go past 11 am so they can count the viewers who turn in at 11 for the football game.

I wonder if any Iowa forces can get kickoff at night. I'll take any advantage Iowa can get, and night time vs Penn State is huge (plus, Penn State HATES night Kinnick).

Last 3 games between Iowa and Penn State at Kinnick were night games:

10/12/19: Penn State 17 Iowa 12 (Franklin HC)
9/13/17: Penn State 21 Iowa 19 (Franklin HC)
10/20/12: Penn State 38 Iowa 14 (O'Brien HC)

Iowa beat PSU at night in Kinnick in 2010 and 2008. But that was with Paterno still leading the team.

O'Brien's one visit to Kinnick involved his team throttling Iowa. Since Franklin has been there, Iowa lost the heartbreaker in 2017 but added a late score to make the 2019 score look closer than it really was (yellow jersey game). Franklin is 2-0 in Iowa City and they were both night games.

Being reported James Franklin is in fact interested in USC job. So this may be his last time in Iowa City. We need a nice farewell for him.

Franklin to USC and Campbell to Penn State??????
This happens every year when there is a coaching vacancy.

Iowa beat PSU at night in Kinnick in 2010 and 2008. But that was with Paterno still leading the team.

O'Brien's one visit to Kinnick involved his team throttling Iowa. Since Franklin has been there, Iowa lost the heartbreaker in 2017 but added a late score to make the 2019 score look closer than it really was (yellow jersey game). Franklin is 2-0 in Iowa City and they were both night games.

Which is why I’m all for 11am, hell I’d be fine with 10am.

Good point

Being reported James Franklin is in fact interested in USC job. So this may be his last time in Iowa City. We need a nice farewell for him.

Franklin to USC and Campbell to Penn State??????
Campbell is gonna need to actually win this year if he wants another high profile job.

Iowa > Wisconsin

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT