ADVERTISEMENT

People have always said Kirk is in NFL style coach

BigAssTurkeyLeg

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2021
Do you think that if Kirk embraces the portal more, he might actually be one of the best roster managers in the B1G? Kirk cut his teeth around the NFL game and free agency, and now that college football basically has free agency is it possible Kirk might actually be really good at being a CEO figure/ roster manager in todays CFB landscape?

He's embracing the portal now-- someone got through to him. However, I just don't expect it to be at a level many hope.

While he was in the NFL naturally there was free agency and roster moves but it wasn't him doing it. He's a coach. Plus there's all kinds of guys now in college coaching that have spent time in the NFL.

I expect the next big step colleges make, one that some already are, is starting to add personnel directors to their payroll. No HC like KF is going to spend his time managing like a GM. That is way too much an administrative function which KF wants no part of.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
Anyone who expected a KF led program to negligently jump into the portal swinging for the fences and throwing bags of $ around before he had the opportunity to develop a business plan that best suited his program is an amateur Hawk fan.
He knew this reality was inevitable before 99% of the people on this board knew it was coming.
Now they are ready.
Measure 3 times cut once.

Anyone who expected a KF led program to negligently jump into the portal swinging for the fences and throwing bags of $ around before he had the opportunity to develop a business plan that best suited his program is an amateur Hawk fan.
He knew this reality was inevitable before 99% of the people on this board knew it was coming.
Now they are ready.
Nope. I believe he feels the heat from the fan base. Plus, you can only made fun of for so long by the national media before it becomes an even greater recruiting obstacle. Charlie Jones performance played to the negative national exposure Iowa received for its 130th ranked offense while wasting an elite defense. Plus, I’m guessing he is pulling out all the stops to keep BF on the staff as OC. I seriously doubt he he finds Portal playing “invigorating”. Guessing that came from his personal PR firm. McNamara a good start but we are going to need a lot more than him. Not convinced we have the aptitude at OC to “open it up”. And I was a big proponent of BF getting the OC position because I truly thought he could make a difference. After six years of beyond dismal failure, I was obviously wrong.

Nope. I believe he feels the heat from the fan base. Plus, you can only made fun of for so long by the national media before it becomes an even greater recruiting obstacle. Charlie Jones performance played to the negative national exposure Iowa received for its 130th ranked offense while wasting an elite defense. Plus, I’m guessing he is pulling out all the stops to keep BF on the staff as OC. I seriously doubt he he finds Portal playing “invigorating”. Guessing that came from his personal PR firm. McNamara a good start but we are going to need a lot more than him. Not convinced we have the aptitude at OC to “open it up”. And I was a big proponent of BF getting the OC position because I truly thought he could make a difference. After six years of beyond dismal failure, I was obviously wrong.
IMO the impetus for KF is to continue his goal to have BF succeed him at Iowa. He did not have a revelation. his motivation is more from desperation to save son's career and his legacy. JMO

Last edited:
My theory is Phil Parker got sick of losing because the offense has been a giant cluster-f#%€. He told the Ferentz Faction enough is enough and gave them an ultimatum— “If you want me [Phil] to continue here at Iowa then you two [Kirk and Brian] go chew gum and play patty-cake in the corner and let the big boys turn this sinking ship around.” At least that’s how it played out in my head… there were nice boobs involved too of course.
pics or it didn't happen...

I doubt Kirk is gleaning anything from his NFL days with regards to free agency.

Free agency in the NFL is just a tad different in 2022 than it was in the mid 90s..................

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
He's embracing the portal now-- someone got through to him. However, I just don't expect it to be at a level many hope.

While he was in the NFL naturally there was free agency and roster moves but it wasn't him doing it. He's a coach. Plus there's all kinds of guys now in college coaching that have spent time in the NFL.

I expect the next big step colleges make, one that some already are, is starting to add personnel directors to their payroll. No HC like KF is going to spend his time managing like a GM. That is way too much an administrative function which KF wants no part of.
In addition to this, I don't see Ferentz as a "plug and play" kind of coach. My belief is that he is content to develop the players he already has with the occasional add on like Cade Mc.

As mentioned elsewhere - if you think there will be wholesale changes I think you will be disappointed. JMO.

IMO the impetus for KF is to continue his goal to have BF succeed him at Iowa. He did not have a revelation. his motivation is more from desperation to save son's career and is legacy. JMO
I’ve noticed you have a lot of opinions….mostly all negative about Kirk and Fran both……. I’ll never understand “fans” like you

pics or it didn't happen...

yapmWIT.jpg

I’ve noticed you have a lot of opinions….mostly all negative about Kirk and Fran both……. I’ll never understand “fans” like you
Because they are realists and Kirk has been loitering for the last 10 years while him and the b-ball coach are more interested in their family members than the others in the programs.

Reactions: DewHawk
Do you think that if Kirk embraces the portal more, he might actually be one of the best roster managers in the B1G? Kirk cut his teeth around the NFL game and free agency, and now that college football basically has free agency is it possible Kirk might actually be really good at being a CEO figure/ roster manager in todays CFB landscape?

I think most all NFL teams have the GM, scouts, and player evaluation people working on drafting, trades, and free agency moves. I am not sure Kirk was involved with much of that except to maybe help evaluate a few final choices.

In addition to this, I don't see Ferentz as a "plug and play" kind of coach. My belief is that he is content to develop the players he already has with the occasional add on like Cade Mc.

As mentioned elsewhere - if you think there will be wholesale changes I think you will be disappointed. JMO.
In fairness to Kirk - I don't totally disagree with his basic transfer philosophy. I think it is very difficult to have consistent success at most schools if they rely heavily on the transfer portal to constantly replace players who leave.

That said, he seems to have at least accepted that he simply has to be more active in the portal than he's been in the past.

Now they are ready.

Great post!

My theory is Phil Parker got sick of losing because the offense has been a giant cluster-f#%€. He told the Ferentz Faction enough is enough and gave them an ultimatum— “If you want me [Phil] to continue here at Iowa then you two [Kirk and Brian] go chew gum and play patty-cake in the corner and let the big boys turn this sinking ship around.” At least that’s how it played out in my head… there were nice boobs involved too of course.

That’s because that’s what YOU want to be true, in reality Phil’s opinion of KF is much, much higher than yours!

ADVERTISEMENT