ADVERTISEMENT

'People need food to be alive.’ Iowa GOP isn’t so sure

I'm in between on this one. I'd be ok with some more limitations on what they can get. I'd like to know how "already restricted" the author thinks it is. I don't think it should be as limited as wic but some more limitations are in line.

I've been in grocery for 18 years. Even in a small northwest Iowa town there is literally several times a day that someone buys a cart full of groceries with snap and then uses cash for a bottle of liquor, a carton of cigarettes or both. I can't even imagine how often it happens in larger markets. We are effectively paying for TONS of alcohol and tobacco with our taxes. Tons.
God damn DooBi…kinda like a tax code for poor folks, ain’t it?

People that complain about the debt have no further to look for the cause: Wealthy individuals and wealthy companies. Buying their legislators like it is a video game

Reactions: cigaretteman
If we don’t get our debt under control, there is going to be hell to pay, and the poor will suffer the most.
This isn't about getting the debt under control, you're gonna have to spend more money to enforce the new rules. It's just pure vengeance against poor people, and you're sure as hell not going to get the debt under control anyway by cutting poor people programs exclusively.

Go after spending/subsidies that primarily benefit middle-class and rich people and propose some tax increases before turning your focus on to the poor.

Just always punching down, always going first after the most needy and powerless.

And just LOL anyway at supporters of the party that's always proposing new tax cuts mewling about getting the debt under control.

Not necessarily, but I’d be interested in his list of what should and shouldn’t be.

I can’t claim that deep of knowledge in all the existing subsidies.

But my sense is food production subsidies have mostly outlasted their need.

I think the subsidy for home ownership should remain.

I think the “subsidy” of a lower tax rate for capital gains should remain.

If there even are any, I think the subsidy for steel production should remain (need that for national security).

I guess I am not sure what else there is. Give me a case and I’ll respond.

People that complain about the debt have no further to look for the cause: Wealthy individuals and wealthy companies. Buying their legislators like it is a video game

So the fact that the people we elect are buy-able does not enter into this?

It's just pure vengeance against poor people, and you're sure as hell not going to get the debt under control anyway by cutting poor people programs exclusively.

Wrong for me. If someone posts that we need a new submarine, I will post and have posted “$31 Trillion” (or like “$20 Trillion” a few years back).

I have never said debt reduction must be on the backs of solely the poor.

The new rules are out of line for sure. One thing that people shouldn't forget is that many school-age students get free breakfast and lunch at school. Our local school district provided free breakfast and lunch to all students (which didn't make sense to me, but it is a fact) for the past two entire school years and during the summers families could pick up lunches. This school year I think about half the kids get free breakfast and lunch. At my no-pic wife's school, every Friday kids can pick up free boxes of food for the the weekend. Many are found in lockers throughout the year or in the trash.

You really think banning flour for poor people will repair the budget? This won't do anything to reduce the deficit. All it will do is to unnecessarily make poor people's already hard lives a little shittier.

No on flour. I’m looking at this big picture.

But anytime anyone anywhere proposes new spending or opposed spending cuts, the response by everyone should be “$31 Trillion”. What are we going to do about $31 Trillion?!!!!”. It is by far the biggest issue we have.

You really think banning flour for poor people will repair the budget? This won't do anything to reduce the deficit. All it will do is to unnecessarily make poor people's already hard lives a little shittier.
I love how you keep using the word ‘ban’ as if poor people are no longer allowed to have flour. They can still own flour, it just isn’t free anymore.

Is the purpose of the SNAP program to help with groceries or is it to provide absolutely all of their groceries? Has the total benefit cap been reduced? Because unless I missed something, a family of four still gets something like $680/month to help with their grocery bill.

Reactions: Mufasa94
I love how you keep using the word ‘ban’ as if poor people are no longer allowed to have flour. They can still own flour, it just isn’t free anymore.

Is the purpose of the SNAP program to help with groceries or is it to provide absolutely all of their groceries? Has the total benefit cap been reduced? Because unless I missed something, a family of four still gets something like $680/month to help with their grocery bill.
If true this is outrageous. They need to cut that in half at least. No wonder we are in a mess in this country. Hopefully the $680 is a major typo. So many jobs out there but unfortunately many people don't want to work. And the Left seems to support that.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
If true this is outrageous. They need to cut that in half at least. No wonder we are in a mess in this country. Hopefully the $680 is a major typo. So many jobs out there but unfortunately many people don't want to work. And the Left seems to support that.
Most on benefits work, just do not make enough to makes ends meet. SNAP is a supplement and the benefit size is all based on income/living expenses. Don’t fall for all the rhetoric it is people not working, as that is in most cases not true. Also, $680 for a month to feed a family of 4 really isn’t much if you break down how much food costs now.

How to say you have no clue what you are talking about without saying you have no clue. You should sit this one out.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT