ADVERTISEMENT

"Luka Garza is clearly your Nat'l POY." Wooden Award, Naismith & Lute Olson Nat'l POY Finalist

I think some of you are undervaluing Luka's chance at the next level. He scored from everywhere the other night,and just look at the improvements from just last year to this year. Certainly he's not a great athlete, but the NBA values scoring more than ever, and he can put the ball in the basket. His endurance wasn't good last year, but you can clearly see the amount of time he's spent in the weight room and in conditioning. Just saying I wouldn't count him out.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I think some of you are undervaluing Luka's chance at the next level. He scored from everywhere the other night,and just look at the improvements from just last year to this year. Certainly he's not a great athlete, but the NBA values scoring more than ever, and he can put the ball in the basket. His endurance wasn't good last year, but you can clearly see the amount of time he's spent in the weight room and in conditioning. Just saying I wouldn't count him out.
One more year of improving foot speed and athleticism and I think he’s got a good shot. He just keeps getting better every year like Aaron White did in his tenure. His rebounding has really improved this year. I could easily see him making an NBA roster as a backup center for a nice career.

ENSRGSVXsAA60fk

Top Basketball Analysts Rank National Player of the Year Candidates

Luka makes the list at #7.

7) Luka Garza, 6-11, 260, C, Jr., Iowa – 37 points (1 first place vote)

The big man has made a huge jump from last season, nearly doubling his production. He’s been a monster in the paint and on the glass and his signature moment was when he went for 44 points against Michigan. Garza ranks in the top 10 nationally in scoring and in the top 20 in rebounding.
Stats: 22.5 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 1.6 bpg

The 11-member voting panel:
Jeff Borzello, ESPN.com
Rob Dauster, NBC Sports
Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News
LaPhonso Ellis, ESPN
Jeff Goodman, Stadium
Doug Gottlieb, Fox Sports
Andy Katz, NCAA.com/Fox Sports/BTN
Clark Kellogg, CBS Sports
Matt Norlander, CBSSports.com
Dana O’Neil, The Athletic
Mark Titus, The Ringer

Direct Link to story: https://watchstadium.com/top-basket...nal-player-of-the-year-candidates-01-07-2020/

Last edited:
Garza Named To Wooden Award List

John Bohnenkamp
January 8, 2020
Link to SI story: https://www.si.com/college/iowa/basketball/bkc-garzawoodenaward-010820

Iowa junior center Luka Garza was named to the John R. Wooden Award midseason Top 25 on Wednesday night (January 8).

The announcement was made by the Los Angeles Athletic Club.

The announcement comes one day after Garza was named one of 30 finalists for the Lute Olson National Player of the Year Award.

Garza is one of six Big Ten five players to make their debut on the Wooden list after not being named on the Preseason Top 50.

The 6-foot-11 Garza is:

* the only player in the nation averaging better than 20 points and 10 rebounds per game.

* the Big Ten scoring leader

* 8th in NCAA Division I in points per game (22.1)

* 7th in NCAA Division I in double-doubles (9)

* 13th in NCAA Division I in rebounds per game (10.7).

Garza has 331 points this season, the most by a Hawkeye after the first 15 games of a season since Fred Brown’s 422 in 1970-71.

Garza, who leads the Hawkeyes in 10 statistical categories this season, became the 27th player in program history with 1,000 points and 500 rebounds after getting a career-high 18 rebounds in Tuesday’s 76-70 at Nebraska.

Last edited:
Imagine if Downtown Freddie Brown and Purdue’s Rick Mount would have had the 3 pointer available to them. Possibly would have set insurmountable Big Ten records....as they were that good.

Imagine if Downtown Freddie Brown and Purdue’s Rick Mount would have had the 3 pointer available to them. Possibly would have set insurmountable Big Ten records....as they were that good.

Mount scored 61 without it one game.

I thought National Player of the Year belong to the exclusive 'blue blood' schools best player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT