ADVERTISEMENT

Perry High School forfeits remainder of varsity football season

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Perry High School football program has forfeited the remainder of its varsity season with three games left on the schedule.

A news release from Perry activities director Katelyn Whelchlel and Perry football coach Bryce Pierce said the decision was made with player safety in mind. The move came after school officials consulted with district coaches, the Iowa High School Athletic Association, future opponents and medical professionals. School officials also gathered input from concerned parents and students.

"Over the last six weeks of the season the varsity squad has sustained injuries, especially within the offense, that have impacted the depth of healthy bodies available on Friday nights," the release said. "Our goal as coaches and administrators is to provide our student athletes with opportunities to compete while maintaining their health and safety."

Nice downtown area.

great bike trail rolls through there. You can ride from Waukee to Jefferson on it.

I played baseball and football against one of the best RBs in Iowa history who was from Perry, Terry Lambert. Ran for a tad over 2000 yds as a senior.
Where I went to school. Lambert was a hero at the time but success in football has most definitely eluded Perry for many years.
Terry was also mentioned in Sports Illustrated for a 400+ yard game during that 2000 yard season.

Reactions: mattymoknows
We were CIC at the time, Saydel. I played against him my Fr year. He hit a bomb against us in baseball, nearly cleared the trees in left.
I played for a few years in the late 80s on the Perry team. Perry has had just a handful of winning seasons in the past 30 years, sadly. Lambert was one of the best players in Perry history, he was quite the athlete.

Ron Davis was a pretty good running back and track man in the 60s. He suffered a lot of abuse from other fans in the midwest conference in the mid-60s. Roger Stech was an excellent running back/ defensive back in the 70s. He later played as a defensive back at Iowa under Bob Commings. Larry Bandy was 4 sport star in the 60s-70s who later became a basketball and baseball coach.

My alma mater Boone High was scheduled to play PHS sometime at the end of this year.. rumor was PHS was down to 7 players on O.

Ron Davis was a pretty good running back and track man in the 60s. He suffered a lot of abuse from other fans in the midwest conference in the mid-60s. Roger Stech was an excellent running back/ defensive back in the 70s. He later played as a defensive back at Iowa under Bob Commings. Larry Bandy was 4 sport star in the 60s-70s who later became a basketball and baseball coach.
Ron Davis had a brother named Dwight that was pretty good.

It's a futball school, no reason to be have heard of them
FIFY.

Seriously. They need to drop football. This year they got their first win in years. Boone needs to take a hard look at allowing them to continue. Even though they are not competitive look at the position it leaves the schools they had scheduled to play. Perry was typically an opportunity for coaches to empty the bench and give the kids riding the pine some varsity love.

Perry Mason is going with a bunch of people who have a lot of people on their own but they will be doing a lot of stuff for me and the other guy who knows what about the guy who knows what he is

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT