ADVERTISEMENT

Personal Property Tax - Freaking Government Scam!!!

Doesn’t VA require all sorts of stickers on your windshield? Safety sticker, county sticker? It’s been 25 years since I owned a car there so my memory is spotty.
I don't have to have stickers any more. I guess they figured out they can track it all electronically, so no need to have physical stickers.

Oh yeah, that's a whole other thing! When I drive into work or that direction I usually take the greenway/tollway. Pre-covid when it was every day I was spending ~$30/day in tolls and gas commuting to/from work.

Again, that's a choice. I could take Rt7 and add another 30 minutes each way, but I opt to pay for the quicker trip. Now that I only go in Tuesdays and some Thursdays, it's a lot more tolerable.
Mrs. Aardvark hates to ride our bikes in close-in W&OD trail due to traffic, etc., so I drive that pretty much every weekend. Don't get me wrong, I love riding out your way (especially on the west Loudoun gravel with a stop at Bear Chase afterwards!) but I always sorta feel like it's defeated the purpose.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I don't have to have stickers any more. I guess they figured out they can track it all electronically, so no need to have physical stickers.
That's good. They used to set up check points on the road and make sure your stickers were up to date. I got chased once because one of mine was expired but the first cop waved me thru. Second cop jumped in his cruiser and chased me down like I had knocked off a liquor store.

• Haha
Mrs. Aardvark hates to ride our bikes in close-in W&OD trail due to traffic, etc., so I drive that pretty much every weekend. Don't get me wrong, I love riding out your way (especially on the west Loudoun gravel with a stop at Bear Chase afterwards!) but I always sorta feel like it's defeated the purpose.
I do really like living out here. It's such a good place to hang out in beautiful scenery and exercise or day-drink (my preference on nice weekends). I haven't been to Bear Chase, but I've been to Dirt Farm, which is pretty close to there. Harpers Ferry Brewery is also really nice - it looks out over the river.

DSC_1223.jpg

So are you a Hawkeye fan??
No, not really. Not particularly a Noles fan either. Just here for the OP's mom jokes, rank 'em/wouldja threads, generally interesting discussions, etc. I do root for Iowa and FSU to win because of these sites, and I have been to a couple of FSU games with some posters like @Gonolz. But, I grew up ab aTm fan - going to several of their games, collecting a lot of gear, etc. But now my daughter goes to Baylor, so I'm a Bears fan - Sic 'em!

Reactions: Gonolz
I think every teacher that my daughter had in school commuted in from WV. A LOT of people that drive into Tyson's do too. I'm ~40 minutes from work and an hour from DC - that's about the right distance for me. I'm close to the mountains and the wineries and Harper's Ferry, etc. but not too far from where I need to go. Moving across the border adds another 30 minutes each way.

Do you live in Jefferson County?

I lived in Martinsburg for many years. My office is in Jefferson Co. My old basketball and baseball coach went down and coached Loudon Co High about 20 years ago for the extra money.

I do really like living out here. It's such a good place to hang out in beautiful scenery and exercise or day-drink (my preference on nice weekends). I haven't been to Bear Chase, but I've been to Dirt Farm, which is pretty close to there. Harpers Ferry Brewery is also really nice - it looks out over the river.

DSC_1223.jpg
love to ride the C&O by Harpers Ferry in winter, and always dream of doing a summer "hillbilly triathlon" with my buddies: 10-20 miles on the C&O on bikes, hike up to maryland heights, then tube down the shenandoah somewhere with the rule being you can't exit the river till you've consumed some specified quantity of beer.

A couple of weekends ago we rode out there and went to a great little brewery outside of Hillsboro (Old 690). Absolutely loved the place as it was so quiet relative to most brewery experiences these days. Bear Chase is up at Bluemont by the AT -- huge property and crowded, but for my money, the best view of the loudoun valley you'll find.

Last edited:
I get that a) I chose to live here, and b) there are worse places for taxes, but it still feels like they're skinning the same cat a whole lot of different ways. I've got:
Fed income tax
State income tax
County personal property tax
County real estate tax
Local personal property tax
Sales tax
Restaurant tax
Fuel tax

And of course I recognize that there are services being provided with that money. The schools are good (even if they're in the national news too often), the roads are good, plenty of police and fire/rescue, good fireworks shows every 4th of July, etc. I just wish they didn't have to get into my pockets in so many different ways!

Well for starters, while every state has to skin their individual "cat", not all "cats" are necessarily the same...

I lived in Martinsburg for many years. My office is in Jefferson Co. My old basketball and baseball coach went down and coached Loudon Co High about 20 years ago for the extra money.
It seems like a really good deal - drive in to get the higher LoCo money, and then go home where it goes a lot further. I guess I still do that to a much smaller extent - living out here and driving into Tyson's. Other people go the opposite direction and live in Falls Church, Arlington, DC. I'm definitely the outlier in my group.

love to ride the C&O by Harpers Ferry in winter, and always dream of doing a summer "hillbilly triathlon" with my buddies: 10-20 miles on the C&O on bikes, hike up to maryland heights, then tube down the shenandoah somewhere with the rule being you can't exit the river till you've consumed some specified quantity of beer.

A couple of weekends ago we rode out there and went to a great little brewery outside of Hillsboro (Old 690). Absolutely loved the place as it was so quiet relative to most brewery experiences these days. Bear Chase is up at Bluemont by the AT -- huge property and crowded, but for my money, the best view of the loudoun valley you'll find.
I've been to Old 690 before - you're right: that's a nice, friendly place!

I would definitely join in the Hillbilly Triathlon® !!

No, not really. Not particularly a Noles fan either. Just here for the OP's mom jokes, rank 'em/wouldja threads, generally interesting discussions, etc. I do root for Iowa and FSU to win because of these sites, and I have been to a couple of FSU games with some posters like @Gonolz. But, I grew up ab aTm fan - going to several of their games, collecting a lot of gear, etc. But now my daughter goes to Baylor, so I'm a Bears fan - Sic 'em!
Grandson is a foreman working, running the construction on i-35 at Baylor exit the last 2 weeks. They have been adding 2-3 new lanes from Austin to Waco. Next, adding 2-3 new lanes making it 4-5 lanes from Waco to Dallas. This is a 5 year project.

Last edited:
Grandson is a foreman working construction on i-35 at Baylor exit the last 2 weeks. They have been adding 2-3 new lanes from Austin to Waco. Next, adding 2-3 new lanes making it 4-5 lanes from Waco to Dallas. This is a 5 year project.
I was just there a couple of weeks ago! The new lanes through Waco that have already opened have made a big difference. It'll be awesome once all the new exits/turn lanes are finished.

It seems like a really good deal - drive in to get the higher LoCo money, and then go home where it goes a lot further. I guess I still do that to a much smaller extent - living out here and driving into Tyson's. Other people go the opposite direction and live in Falls Church, Arlington, DC. I'm definitely the outlier in my group.
Dawg, defraud the government and corps as much as you can. They do it to us, slam it back on them.

I was just there a couple of weeks ago! The new lanes through Waco that have already opened have made a big difference. It'll be awesome once all the new exits/turn lanes are finished.
Waco to Dallas is scheduled to start in Feb, they are hopeful for that date if the weather holds.

Last edited:
Waco to Dallas is scheduled to start in Feb, they are hopeful for that date.
I hope when they do they're adding lanes off to the outside and it can minimize the disruption to what's already an often-crowded highway w just 2 lanes in each direction for most of that stretch. If you block off one of those lanes for construction it's going to be a nightmare!

I hope when they do they're adding lanes off to the outside and it can minimize the disruption to what's already an often-crowded highway w just 2 lanes in each direction for most of that stretch. If you block off one of those lanes for construction it's going to be a nightmare!
A lot of this construction is adding 3 lanes, making it 5, don't want to come back later in 5 years.

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT