ADVERTISEMENT

Pete Buttigieg was smart to go on Nationally televised Fox News Town Hall

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I support Amy Klobuchar. She, like Pete, was not afraid to go on the Fox News Town Hall.

Note in the article linked below how Pete talks about Democrats needing to update their vocabulary. Neither Amy nor Pete have or ever will call Trump supporters "Trumptards," "deplorables," "treasonous" or worse. Instead of using words that would divide us, both Amy and Pete are trying to connect and bring together all Americans. And they will go on Fox News, NBC News, ABC News, etc to deliver that message.

As you will also read below, Elizabeth Warren refuses to go on Fox and called Fox News a"hate-for-profit racket that gives a megaphone to racists and conspiracists."

Words like that from Warren MIGHT help her win the Democratic nomination but they don't help in the general election. As Pete said (see the quote below), Democrats need to update their vocabulary so that they're TRULY CONNECTING with Americans coast to coast.

Some excerpts from the NBCnews.com article:

"...I think a lot of people tune into this [FOX News] network who do it in good faith. And there are a lot of Americans who my party can't blame if they are ignoring our message, because they will never hear it if we don't go on and talk about it," he continued, adding that "we have to find people where they are, not change our values, but update our vocabulary so that we're truly connecting with Americans coast to coast."

Buttigieg was very well received by the Fox News town hall audience and his comments prompted repeated enthusiastic applause.

He faced criticism from some on the left for participating in the town hall, particularly after Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., turned down an invite from Fox, saying last week that she was a "hard pass" on doing an event on the network, which she slammed as a "hate-for-profit racket that gives a megaphone to racists and conspiracists."

Earlier this year, the Democratic National Committee also announced it was boycotting Fox News as a potential primary debate partner.

Moments after the town hall ended, veteran Fox News journalist Brit Hume slammed Trump for "barely" facing interviews from reporters like Wallace, while lauding Buttigieg for doing so.

"Say this for Buttigieg," Hume tweeted. "He’s willing to be questioned by Chris Wallace, something you've barely done since you've been president."

LINK TO FULL STORY:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...ks-fox-news-hosts-fox-news-town-hall-n1007546

Last edited:
Pete did well. I don't think I'll vote for anyone so closed and narrow minded as to not appear on a particular cable news station. I thought Chris Wallace did a good job hosting as well.

Reactions: unIowa
I wish I had paid more attention to candidates in town. Mayor Pete was in IC yesterday and I missed it. In a smaller field he'd get way more attention. He is charismatic, and so well spoken. I think he's going to be hard to keep off the VP list.
Warren is stupid to have turned down Fox. Short term she made money off it as a fundraising email, but, she'd have been better off going on Fox and speaking to an audience that is receptive to a lot of what she says. She offers things that a lot of Fox viewers like.

I'm not convinced that going on Fox News is going to do anything other than what has happened in this thread. People will say nice things about him but they will never vote for him. I think the time to do this is after the election. As long as you have Trump up there stoking the pitchforks outreach with the right will be impossible. I do agree with the intent of what Sanders, Klobuchar, and Buttigieg are doing and it will need to be done.

Pete did well. I don't think I'll vote for anyone so closed and narrow minded as to not appear on a particular cable news station. I thought Chris Wallace did a good job hosting as well.
I want a candidate who does not divide us and who will work with Rs and Ds to get stuff done.

Warren says stuff all the time that is not going to unite us.

I don't like that the DNC is boycotting Fox for their debates. Are they afraid that Amy and Pete might kick ass and actually connect with BOTH moderate Rs and moderate Ds?

I'm not convinced that going on Fox News is going to do anything other than what has happened in this thread. People will say nice things about him but they will never vote for him. I think the time to do this is after the election. As long as you have Trump up there stoking the pitchforks outreach with the right will be impossible. I do agree with the intent of what Sanders, Klobuchar, and Buttigieg are doing and it will need to be done.
The last election hinged on 60,000 votes in three states. As massively sh**y as Trump is, 2020 will be close most likely. Going on Fox is a good thing.

i think moderate Rs were paying attention and probably liked at least some of what they heard.

The last election hinged on 60,000 votes in three states. As massively sh**y as Trump is, 2020 will be close most likely. Going on Fox is a good thing.

It will be close with the electoral college. I think he will lose the popular vote by more than he lost the previous election. I guess I feel that if you haven't jumped off the Trump ship yet, then it's never going to happen. I mean, what more could he possibly do that finally makes you decide to quit supporting him?

This election will be won or lost with new voters, not by trying to convert old voters that haven't already flipped.

I think this is true of 90% of them, but if you reach 20% of the remaining 10% you've reached thousands of people in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. I'm fully aware that these percentages are completely bullshitable, but I'm just trying to get across the larger point.

Reactions: srams21
i think moderate Rs were paying attention and probably liked at least some of what they heard.

I'm sure they did. They won't vote for him though. If they are moderate enough to consider voting for him then they aren't "R"'s anymore. They are "independents", but not really. They are just ronin conservatives.

I think this is true of 90% of them, but if you reach 20% of the remaining 10% you've reached thousands of people in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. I'm fully aware that these percentages are completely bullshitable, but I'm just trying to get across the larger point.

You might be right, I don't know. That's just the way I feel about it.

I want a candidate who does not divide us and who will work with Rs and Ds to get stuff done.

I don't like that the DNC is boycotting Fox for their debates. Are they afraid that Amy and Pete might kick ass and actually connect with BOTH moderate Rs and moderate Ds?

I don't want those idiots in DC getting anything "done".

I wish I had paid more attention to candidates in town. Mayor Pete was in IC yesterday and I missed it. In a smaller field he'd get way more attention. He is charismatic, and so well spoken. I think he's going to be hard to keep off the VP list.
Warren is stupid to have turned down Fox. Short term she made money off it as a fundraising email, but, she'd have been better off going on Fox and speaking to an audience that is receptive to a lot of what she says. She offers things that a lot of Fox viewers like.
she has done other stupid things too. Not sure how many of the viewers would be receptive to her views. I do not believe many

Watching Fox News right now. They have a GOP pollster on. They are talking about how his views are as extreme as Sanders or Warren, and as such, too extreme for mainstream voters. Can't be VP for Biden since they are both white, even though he is gay. They also claimed Warren attacked Fox viewers and said she doesn't want their vote (which is just a flat out lie).

Earlier one of the Fox and Friends hosts claimed the townhall was all just his friends and that's why they clapped.

I am 100% with Warren on this. No reason to let Fox News profit off you. Anybody expect Trump to do a townhall with anybody to the left of Fox News?
So you’re OK with Warren acting in a manner similar to what Trump would do?

I think there are several who are proving the point being made in the OP. Bombastic language from either side is a great way to turn off a large block of voters you should be trying to reach.

I believe that Senator Warren’s big problem with non-supporters is that she says stuff that is dead in correct and is uncomfortable for most of us to digest. She has a hard-on for FOX News....so what? Tell me the last time FOX has ever treated a Democrat politician of national renown fairly? You say Warren needs to be “fair” with FOX.....I say it is a 2way Street and FOX has an (business) obligation to be fair and balanced. Wallace is the exception to the FOX rule here. It is in his genes.

Reactions: CuttyDoesIt

I think he should simply run for VP, against Pence. Make it his niche.

It shows leadership early on before potentially winning an election bc honestly if someone can't or isn't willing to do it before winning then they probaby won't or don't have the leadership qualities to do it after and thus shouldn't be leading the country. Not having the stones to do it now exposes some charecter flaws IMO.

So you’re OK with Warren acting in a manner similar to what Trump would do?

I think there are several who are proving the point being made in the OP. Bombastic language from either side is a great way to turn off a large block of voters you should be trying to reach.

No, and I probably shouldn't have included the line about Trump because I wasn't trying to equate their actions. I just think it's dumb that a bunch of pundits criticize dems for not doing townhalls with Fox News and you know Trump isn't going to get any criticism for not going on MSNBC.

I don't think Warren making the decision to not give an hour to Fox News while making it clear they are welcome on the campaign trail and at her events is the same as what Trump does. Can you point to what she said that you think is untrue?

I think the advantages of appearing on Fox are not as significant as the disadvantages of boycotting the network.

Your first sentence indicates you won't be voting for Trump either.

Neither Amy nor Pete have or ever will call Trump supporters "Trumptards," "deplorables," "treasonous" or worse. Instead of using words that would divide us, both Amy and Pete are trying to connect and bring together all Americans.
Too bad current POTUS can't do the same thing. They are certainly more adult than Trump.

I think Pete would make a good president. Certainly better than what we have. But, with all of the folks that wouldn't want to bake him a cake, I'm not sure he can win. Full disclosure, I didn't think Obama could win, either.

Reactions: lucas80
If Pete won't the nomination, it would certainly be fun watching Trump show his true colors when he breaks out the Butt jokes... not that I think Trump is anti gay (he just hires those that are), but Trump has proven himself time and again to be a juvenile name caller.

It shows leadership early on before potentially winning an election bc honestly if someone can't or isn't willing to do it before winning then they probaby won't or don't have the leadership qualities to do it after and thus shouldn't be leading the country. Not having the stones to do it now exposes some charecter flaws IMO.

Well, if you need to show your primary base that you have what it takes to stand up to Trump this would be a good way to start addressing it. It actually makes sense when put into that context. Warren has been attacked by Trump for years so you already either think you can or can't stand up to him. It was one of the criticisms of Buttigieg so maybe he helped himself with that.

I am all for these guys getting the message out any way possible. use a bullhorn and stand on the roof if you have to. their message is complete garbage most of the time. so let's have it!

The number one quality primary voters are looking for is electability. Going on Fox might not help him win over a bunch of Rs, but it sure made him look like someone who can go on Fox and connect with moderate Rs. His audience last night was the democratic base who flipped over from MSNBC to see if he can handle himself on Fox....and he did. Pete’s the man.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I believe that Senator Warren’s big problem with non-supporters is that she says stuff that is dead in correct and is uncomfortable for most of us to digest. She has a hard-on for FOX News....so what? Tell me the last time FOX has ever treated a Democrat politician of national renown fairly? You say Warren needs to be “fair” with FOX.....I say it is a 2way Street and FOX has an (business) obligation to be fair and balanced. Wallace is the exception to the FOX rule here. It is in his genes.
They don't wan't to go on Hannity? Fine. Why would you not want a town hall, or any other event, speech, etc, shown on any popular outlet when it's all about exposure?

I think the advantages of appearing on Fox are not as significant as the disadvantages of boycotting the network.
Trump basically boycotts all networks or news publications not under the Murdoch banner, with the exception of the NYTimes. It's a curious thing.

Trump basically boycotts all networks or news publications not under the Murdoch banner, with the exception of the NYTimes. It's a curious thing.

Not supporting him with this statement, but if you remember, he went on any and every network that would have him as a candidate.

Not supporting him with this statement, but if you remember, he went on any and every network that would have him as a candidate.
Funny that he doesn't do that now ...

Heck, he barely makes any public speeches compared to past Presidents.

I think Pete would make a good president. Certainly better than what we have. But, with all of the folks that wouldn't want to bake him a cake, I'm not sure he can win. Full disclosure, I didn't think Obama could win, either.

I'm pretty sure anyone who wouldn't bake a cake for him have a very near 0% of ever voting for any Democrat ever unless they go back to like being pro-slavery. Further, I think this is something that could become a tailwind if he gets the nomination, when you talk about someone motivating young people and GLBT folks. Seeing the religious right heads explode and the inevitable dickery that will come on the campaign trail (that we've already seen some of) would drive a serious wedge between the religious right and the more intellectual conservative and libertarian types. This country is WAY more secular than it was 10-20 years ago, and the Bush 04 strategy is a major dinosaur.

Funny that he doesn't do that now ...

Heck, he barely makes any public speeches compared to past Presidents.

True. He spends most of his time on twitter name calling. Not very Presidential, is he.Do you think these candidates would be hurt or helped by going on one of Fox News' Town Halls?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT