ADVERTISEMENT

Peter Jok - G League

mtdew_fever

HR Heisman
Jul 14, 2004
I haven't followed, why did Jok only play a limited number of games this season in the G-League? Injuries?

I remember seeing an article that he was hurt much of the year... I think his back is still a problem, IIRC.

Man I still think there is room on a roster for him somewhere in the league. I know thw whole defense thing but that jumper is so pure. There's gotta be a team somewhere that needs a pure shooter.

Probably anyone who is a fan of Pro basketball.

unless you are icwesthawk:
WhatDoYouLiveUnderARock.png

Someone want to point out to Tyler Cook, how this All Big Ten, 3 point Champ with incredible shooting skill is not on an NBA roster?

What NBA roster is Jarrod Uthoff on, currently ?

Go Hawks :)

Maybe that just provides Cook evidence that returning to Iowa for two years isn't the best move. Maybe he can get a gig in the G-league, play on some NBA summer leagues teams, make 50k, and focus solely on basketball competing against better players than in the BIG 10. Maybe that's a better route to chase the NBA dream, or if not better, not objectively worse, and results in getting paid.

The NBA is increasing compensation for the G-league. They now have two-contracts (meaning players are signed to an NBA deal with hybrid compensation while playing the G-league), and the most teams are affiliating with a specific G-league team. We are going to more and more kids turn pro to play in the G-league rather than play college basketball.

Maybe that just provides Cook evidence that returning to Iowa for two years isn't the best move. Maybe he can get a gig in the G-league, play on some NBA summer leagues teams, make 50k, and focus solely on basketball competing against better players than in the BIG 10. Maybe that's a better route to chase the NBA dream, or if not better, not objectively worse, and results in getting paid.

The NBA is increasing compensation for the G-league. They now have two-contracts (meaning players are signed to an NBA deal with hybrid compensation while playing the G-league), and the most teams are affiliating with a specific G-league team. We are going to more and more kids turn pro to play in the G-league rather than play college basketball.
G league is $35K for five month schedule. If you really want to go find your own place to live, cook for yourself, etc, not sure that's a great alternative to another year of college

Its really not a smart financial move. Its not life changing money and its not long term.

It might up nba chances very slightly but when you have a slim chance to begin with it really doesn't make sense to gamble with the rest of your life when you have a sure path to a free degree.

Reactions: 24 so far
Someone want to point out to Tyler Cook, how this All Big Ten, 3 point Champ with incredible shooting skill is not on an NBA roster?

What NBA roster is Jarrod Uthoff on, currently ?

Go Hawks :)

Uthoff plays for the Fort Wayne Fire Ants, I believe.

G league is $35K for five month schedule. If you really want to go find your own place to live, cook for yourself, etc, not sure that's a great alternative to another year of college

Agree. Don’t think the route is for everyone. But if you can snag a 2-way deal or get some summer league looks you’ll bump your compensation up.

The big thing is what the kid can do after he finishes playing assuming he never makes the NBA and just bounces around the g league or Europe.

Guys like Brunner, Gatens, and others who had decent overseas careers had to get jobs. Aaron White is one of the few who is actually making pretty decent money, but doubt it is enough to sustain him. Without a bachelor’s degree, a kid like Cook won’t be able to coach at high school or colleges, won’t be able to land a decent sales jobs in finance or medical products, like many athletes.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Agree. Don’t think the route is for everyone. But if you can snag a 2-way deal or get some summer league looks you’ll bump your compensation up.

The big thing is what the kid can do after he finishes playing assuming he never makes the NBA and just bounces around the g league or Europe.

Guys like Brunner, Gatens, and others who had decent overseas careers had to get jobs. Aaron White is one of the few who is actually making pretty decent money, but doubt it is enough to sustain him. Without a bachelor’s degree, a kid like Cook won’t be able to coach at high school or colleges, won’t be able to land a decent sales jobs in finance or medical products, like many athletes.

Could be like Kevonte Martin Manley and just peddle signed hats and footballs on Instagram and Twitter. I am sure he does this daily to people, but he started following me on both and sent DMs "would you know of ANYONE interested in purchasing the autographed football. I will personalize it as well and include All- Time Receptions Leader. Thanks Go Hawks"
I didn't answer him and a week later he messaged back asking if I found anyone.

For the vast majority of the G-League players, the salary is much less than $50k. Per their Wiki page, their compensation is still pretty low.

The 2-way contracts are still tough to get. Each NBA team gets 2 of them and it is very common to see them add/drop G-League players from the 2 way contract a number of times each season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_G_League

As of the 2017–18 season, G League players who are not on two-way contracts earn either $19,500 or $26,000 during the league's season.[1] By contrast, two-way players' salaries while in the G League, which are pro-rated according to the number of days the player is with his G League team, are based on an annual salary between $50,000 and $75,000,[50] and while these players are with their NBA team, they will earn a pro-rated portion of the NBA minimum rookie salary (which will be $815,615 in the 2017–18 season).

Long story short....the G-League is littered with a ton of talent and not many of them are making decent money. If the NBA is serious about it, all they need to do is chip in $1M-2M per team to get the salaries up between $75k-100k per player. That would make it worth while.

If I were a player making $30k in the G-League and I wasn't a star there....yeah, pass. You can make $30k working as an assistant manager at a gas station.

6th man off the bench in the G-League or NBA? 6 man guys in the G-League aren't getting a sniff in the NBA.

I think you answered your own question. But yes, I meant if he can get healthy and regain some consistency, he would fit the mold of an instant offense 6th man in the NBA. That is probably best case scenario for him. Just making a roster would be big.

Interesting information on G-league. I think if the NBA kicked in a lot of money to raise salaries, it would just encourage more quality college players (like Cook/Jok) to leave early. College Basketball has a built in audience and the NBA. If the were to destroy it by encouraging its better players to go to G-league, I think they'd hurt the interest level from marginal NBA fans such as myself.

I saw some ~32 year old rookie for LA Lakers made a debut at end of season. I guess you can continue to chase your dream and avoid getting a real job.

Interesting information on G-league. I think if the NBA kicked in a lot of money to raise salaries, it would just encourage more quality college players (like Cook/Jok) to leave early. College Basketball has a built in audience and the NBA. If the were to destroy it by encouraging its better players to go to G-league, I think they'd hurt the interest level from marginal NBA fans such as myself.

I saw some ~32 year old rookie for LA Lakers made a debut at end of season. I guess you can continue to chase your dream and avoid getting a real job.

Not sure the nba will ever have a financial motivation to dump more money into G leauge. Theres probably never going to be a fan base for it because of college.

Reactions: mtdew_fever

Pay raises on the way ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/sports/basketball/g-league-salaries-increase.html

Effective next season, players signed to G League contracts will earn $35,000 — or $7,000 per month — in addition to housing and insurance benefits over the course of the league’s five-month regular season.

Players under G League contracts previously earned either $26,000 or $19,000. The increase will represent a pay raise of 35 percent or 84 percent, depending on the player’s classification.

$35k per year is still not very much. However, the ceiling is very high for the select few, but the bottom is not very exciting.

One could argue that in most cases that staying in college for 4 years and getting a degree (of any type and from any school) would be much more valuable than a 3-4 year career of playing in the G-League. Add in a lot of major donors will hire former athletes after they graduate whether they are qualified or not.

Pay raises on the way ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/sports/basketball/g-league-salaries-increase.html

Effective next season, players signed to G League contracts will earn $35,000 — or $7,000 per month — in addition to housing and insurance benefits over the course of the league’s five-month regular season.

Players under G League contracts previously earned either $26,000 or $19,000. The increase will represent a pay raise of 35 percent or 84 percent, depending on the player’s classification.

Reactions: RocknRollface
$35k per year is still not very much. However, the ceiling is very high for the select few, but the bottom is not very exciting.

One could argue that in most cases that staying in college for 4 years and getting a degree (of any type and from any school) would be much more valuable than a 3-4 year career of playing in the G-League. Add in a lot of major donors will hire former athletes after they graduate whether they are qualified or not.
True, but isn't the G-League primarily for NBA hopefuls/prospects? Most who don't ever make it to the league from the G-League can just have careers overseas and make pretty good money anyways - see: Basabe, Marble, White, etc.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
True, but isn't the G-League primarily for NBA hopefuls/prospects? Most who don't ever make it to the league from the G-League can just have careers overseas and make pretty good money anyways - see: Basabe, Marble, White, etc.

But even eruope is not much money and temporary, probably less than 10 years total. It doesn't make sense to earn a few hundred thousand at best in stead of a degree. And more likely your talking $70K over the two year stretch you would have stayed in school.

It really makes no sense.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT