ADVERTISEMENT

Peter Jok

Hawksfor3

HR Legend
Dec 5, 2016
Beyond The Arc
I've been checking to see if he was invited to Combine next month, and I don't see him listed at Draft Express, and ESPN only has a partial list. Has anyone heard anything about him? Thanks.

Jok's name doesn't seem to be on any of the mock drafts either. Probably needs to be in the top 60 prospects to get the invite. I did read though that not all of the combine invitees have been made public yet.

I suspect concern over wear and tear, and the tread on the tires, is going to be the biggest detriment to Jok. The league is looking for guys that can play several years. Jok missed some games this season. He played on bad ankles at the beginning of last season.

Worn out type of problems. And I think these kind of things cost him some on his footwork and even later on his shot. Then there is the asthma issue.

I mean, heck, the guy got himself in fantastic shape, ate right, but an 82 game season?

To me, we never really got to see what a healthy Jok could do in college. It's amazing the shooting we did see. He was a great college player and whether he gets onto a pro team or not won't change that.

I suspect concern over wear and tear, and the tread on the tires, is going to be the biggest detriment to Jok. The league is looking for guys that can play several years. Jok missed some games this season. He played on bad ankles at the beginning of last season.

Worn out type of problems. And I think these kind of things cost him some on his footwork and even later on his shot. Then there is the asthma issue.

I mean, heck, the guy got himself in fantastic shape, ate right, but an 82 game season?

To me, we never really got to see what a healthy Jok could do in college. It's amazing the shooting we did see. He was a great college player and whether he gets onto a pro team or not won't change that.
I agree that we haven't seen a healthy Jok. Jarrod wasn't drafted (by choice) but look where he is now. Hopefully Pete's agent can steer him in a good direction as well.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Jok will get his shot in the NBA just like JU did. In fact, similarly to the NFL, while the money isn't guaranteed, I'd argue that not getting drafted in some aspects (not all) is more beneficial than being drafted in the second round, where most of the players never pan out.

At least by becoming a free agent, you can sign with a team that will give you the best chance to succeed.

That used to be the case uno but I'm not sure if it is anymore - new CBA allows for something like 2-way contracts between the d-league and NBA rosters, and pays guys a LOT more than just playing in the d-league. IMO you definitely want to get drafted now.

That used to be the case uno but I'm not sure if it is anymore - new CBA allows for something like 2-way contracts between the d-league and NBA rosters, and pays guys a LOT more than just playing in the d-league. IMO you definitely want to get drafted now.

And if you get drafted is the team required to offer a 2-way contract at a minimum? Or can they draft you and send you straight to d-league?

I suspect that the concern is that Jok doesn't play good defense and has loose handles.

I suspect that the concern is that Jok doesn't play good defense and has loose handles.

Yes. One day Jok said to himself, "You know, I'm going to get myself into superb condition. I'm going to give up soda pop and junk food, and eat healthy as part of that plan to be in the best shape possible. I'm going to be a representative of this program that can be trusted to host recruits over and over. And I'm going to try to be a pro basketball player. But I'm not going to play defense and I'm not going to work on my handles." ;)

You see, I think we're both right. Jok doesn't stand out as a defender and his handles are limited. I think it has to do with the wear and tear on his body.

Reactions: hawkeye122671
Other alternates that I've seen received an invite after stars dropped out: Nigel Hayes, Derrick Walton Jr, VJ Beachum, and Chris Boucher.

Some interesting, and I think fair comps for Jok's overall game (not style, but in terms of rating players).

Yes. One day Jok said to himself, "You know, I'm going to get myself into superb condition. I'm going to give up soda pop and junk food, and eat healthy as part of that plan to be in the best shape possible. I'm going to be a representative of this program that can be trusted to host recruits over and over. And I'm going to try to be a pro basketball player. But I'm not going to play defense and I'm not going to work on my handles." ;)

You see, I think we're both right. Jok doesn't stand out as a defender and his handles are limited. I think it has to do with the wear and tear on his body.

Those things can be improved to a degree with practice but hand eye coordination and latterall mobility are natural abilities that aren't really something you can decide to change.

The same way a person cant just decide to be able to shoot like Jok.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
At least initially, Pete will be able to focus on what he does best; Shooting the Rock. That will be enough to get him drafted and a roster spot. What he does from there, is up to him.

Jok will get his shot in the NBA just like JU did. In fact, similarly to the NFL, while the money isn't guaranteed, I'd argue that not getting drafted in some aspects (not all) is more beneficial than being drafted in the second round, where most of the players never pan out.

At least by becoming a free agent, you can sign with a team that will give you the best chance to succeed.

In Pete's case, that's probably Houston. Fill it up from the outside and not be too concerned with defense.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
The NBA is 3 point crazy and Jok can stroke it, as far as holding up I don't see him as a starter but more 10-15 minutes a game. Worst case he makes a ton of money playing Euro ball but I think he makes a roster.

This......Kyle Korver. Do we hear about KK's shooting; yes, a lot. Do we hear about his defense; no, not so much.
Jok can also add some rebounding and passing that Korver isn't known for. But the key for Jok is, can he not hurt you on D, similar to Korver.

If you guys don't think defense is important in the nba.

Andre Woolridge didn't play in the nba but Ryan Bowen did.

Think about it.

Think about it.

The NBA back then it was key for PG's to be able to slow the ball so teams have much less of the 24 second shot clock to work with. Andre had problems at NBA draft camp slowing really quick guards in his class. At Iowa we always ran zone pressure and Andre never had to pressure man to man on PG's.

Today's NBA is less about a PG as it is about Point Forwards. Get the ball and go, now you have PG's filling the wings because it is a 3pt crazy league.

Yes, defense is important but it was more so for Andre at that time for his position.

The NBA back then it was key for PG's to be able to slow the ball so teams have much less of the 24 second shot clock to work with. Andre had problems at NBA draft camp slowing really quick guards in his class. At Iowa we always ran zone pressure and Andre never had to pressure man to man on PG's.

Today's NBA is less about a PG as it is about Point Forwards. Get the ball and go, now you have PG's filling the wings because it is a 3pt crazy league.

Yes, defense is important but it was more so for Andre at that time for his position.

Solid points, about defense anyway. Offensively pgs dominate the ball allot more than they did in tje 90s.

Even with the greater emphasis on 3pt shooting you cant be defensive liability as role player/shooter.

Only a few elite offensive guys, like Curry and Harden, get away with being defensive liabilities.

Think about it.
AW is 6 feet tall and couldn't go left.

Bowen is 6'9?, could guard two positions, rebound, run, and make an occasional shot.

Think about what?

A lot of guys in the NBA can fill the bucket. Pete is gonna have to be a totally different defender to make the league. Prolly a European career for Pete

AW is 6 feet tall and couldn't go left.

Bowen is 6'9?, could guard two positions, rebound, run, and make an occasional shot.

Think about what?

You forgot the part about being an all american , 2 time 1st team all conference and leading it in points and assists.

Easily one of the best offensives players of the last 50 years at Iowa.

If Woolridge was a good defender he would have easily made the leauge.

Bowen was an average offensive player in college.

Just being a great shooter isnt enough.

You forgot the part about being an all american , 2 time 1st team all conference and leading it in points and assists.

Easily one of the best offensives players of the last 50 years at Iowa.

If Woolridge was a good defender he would have easily made the leauge.

Bowen was an average offensive player in college.

Just being a great shooter isnt enough.

Andre couldn't go left and that was as much his problem as lack of D, and he was barely 6 feet tall. Doesn't matter what he did at Iowa, it didn't translate to the league whereas Bowens skills did.

Andre couldn't go left and that was as much his problem as lack of D, and he was barely 6 feet tall. Doesn't matter what he did at Iowa, it didn't translate to the league whereas Bowens skills did.

Skill is skill.

When a guy is able to dominate in college it means his offensive would have translated to the nba, just like Joks shooting would translate fine to the nba.

But offensive isnt enough in most cases.

If AW wasn't a D liability at that level he would have been on a team.

Skill is skill.

When a guy is able to dominate in college it means his offensive would have translated to the nba, just like Joks shooting would translate fine to the nba.

But offensive isnt enough in most cases.

If AW wasn't a D liability at that level he would have been on a team.

Jimmer and Adam Morrison say hello, and they were drafted.

Jimmer and Adam Morrison say hello, and they were drafted.

Two guys who couldn't play defense at that level, exactly my point.

Also two guys who played in midmajor leauges. AW dominated the big 10 and put up stats that Magic Johnson and Isaiah Thomas didn't even do. Little different.

Pete has continued to improve his ball handling and overall game, so I won't say that he will never play in the NBA. He is an elite shooter, even by NBA standards, but he is sub par at everything else, especially defense. If Pete can continue to get stronger, get better at creating shots for himself and others, and at least play respectable defense, he will get a shot to play. I think Uthoff has a much better shot.

Korver is also 6'7 and a pretty good athlete (more athletic than Jok for sure), and is an all-time great 3-point shooter, one of the best ever. He led the NBA this year and is top 7 all-time in percentage and top-5 career makes. He's a tough comparison for Jok. Jok may find his niche as a shooter, but Korver is a poor comp.

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT